Ford Pass vs Apple Car Play

Richard Conley

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat, 2016 Honda Accord Touring
In the US, these two features can exist simultaneously without any issues. To activate ford pass, just create an account, enter VIN, and activate vehicle. Don’t forget to activate ford pass rewards and get your free 42,000 points! It’s about $240 to use in service.

For Apple car play, you should just plug in with a cable that supports data transfer and voila! Accept on screen and phone.
This is true in my experience. I'm not sure what one is doing with Ford Connect when vehicle is running - all I use it for is to remote start and look at things like miles to empty, oil life, etc....when the vehicle is not running. When running all that info is available in the dash displays.
Sponsored

OP
OP
viperwolf

viperwolf

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Everest 4x4 Titanium BI Turbo, 2015 Ford Ecosport Titanium
Occupation
Retired Military
I dont think I get points here, and I dont have Ford Connect. Only Ford Pass.
I thought ford was working on an update for everything to work via BT. Its ridiculous to pay this much money and them not include features like this.

TylerV76

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4
Occupation
Emissions testing supplier
Ok I gotta try and clear this up before this thread goes any further. FordPass, Applink and CarPlay are all different things.

FordPass has nothing to do with the stereo. Its the app you use on your phone for remote start, vehicle info etc. This is FordPass:
1.1.0-Dashboard_TCU_iOS_US_desktop.png

Ford AppLink is what you are asking about and you can only use this or CarPlay. You cannot have both enabled. They both require a usb cord for iPhone in order to work. This was originally Fords answer to Android Auto and CarPlay before they added them to their stereos. This is how Ford added Waze natively to Sync 3. This is Ford Applink:
18SYNC3_Ford_Day_AppLink_Tile_Tidal.jpg

CarPlay is Apples own infotainment system and again, for now, needs a usb cable and will only work if AppLink is disabled. This year Ford will begin introducing wireless CarPlay on vehicles that offer Sync 4. This will not be available on current vehicles running Sync 3.3. For example, our trucks will not get wireless CarPlay. This is CarPlay:
2019-08-30-_A7R3802-1024x683.jpg

OP
OP
viperwolf

viperwolf

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Military
You have to have Ford Connect for the remote feature to work. You cleared up something for sure, I had no idea that Ford Pass and Ford Applink where two different things. that helps alot thank you. If someone tried to explain that earlier and I missed it I apologize. So we should be able to use the Ford Pass for vehicle information and carplay for the other stuff. which kinda brings full circle to which is better to have or use from everyones experience. Applink or carplay?
Also, maybe we can use a BT dongle and plug it into the back of the sync 3 head? I believe there is an empty input.

Another side idea-anyone know if we can add the sync 4 module by replacing the one we have now?

Last edited:

John Lyman

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Sport 4x2 Oxford White
Vehicle Showcase
Ywhich kinda brings full circle to which is better to have or use from everyones experience. Applink or CarPlay?

Also, maybe we can use a BT dongle and plug it into the back of the sync 3 head? I believe there is an empty input.
I prefer CarPlay over the Applink - If I have to plug my phone in why not let it do what it does best. I prefer Siri over Ford's voice stuff - the good thing is I have access to everything. I have my presets set to the station I prefer the most so I can go through all my favorites by hitting the music button.

Not sure if its as easy as adding a BT dongle - do you BT on your Everest?

OP
OP
viperwolf

viperwolf

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Military
I prefer CarPlay over the Applink - If I have to plug my phone in why not let it do what it does best. I prefer Siri over Ford's voice stuff - the good thing is I have access to everything. I have my presets set to the station I prefer the most so I can go through all my favorites by hitting the music button.

Not sure if its as easy as adding a BT dongle - do you BT on your Everest?
Yes I have BT and it connects to my phone, not sure what I can do with it though. Right now I have applink activated. My vehicle is getting ceramic coating so I cant test things at the moment. If it has to be plugged in though, Im not sure what good BT is, unless that will allow calls and text only?

John Lyman

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Yes I have BT and it connects to my phone, not sure what I can do with it though. Right now I have applink activated. My vehicle is getting ceramic coating so I cant test things at the moment. If it has to be plugged in though, Im not sure what good BT is, unless that will allow calls and text only?
I usually just plug in my phone so I can charge it up during my commute - I have a 45 min commute. On short trips where I don't need any navigation I do use BT and listen to XM verse Apple Music.

TylerV76

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4
Occupation
Bluetooth is only used when you are NOT using Carplay. Carplay does not require a bluetooth connection for calls or texts. This will give you a warning about the “connection needed for location” that FordPass uses. Reason being is it uses bluetooth for that data. Carplay actually disconnects bluetooth while in use so theres no avoiding that message until its patched in 3.4.

There are 3rd party modules to add wireless carplay but they are hit and miss on reliability.

Lastly, Carplay is far more stable and feature rich than AppLink. AppLink is sluggish and lacking the inclusiveness of Carplay. Use Carplay and dont look back.

Edit: Regarding swapping the Sync 3 to Sync 4. It is highly possible based on previous Sync systems that this will be possible but it wont be cheap. There are a few issues though that we dont know yet. The screen sizes. There will be new sizes this year including a 12” screen. We will need an 8” screen with the same body dimensions we currently have for it to work.

If your sole purpose is wireless carplay, thats going to be an expensive upgrade for just that.

Last edited:
OP
OP
viperwolf

viperwolf

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Military
Bluetooth is only used when you are NOT using Carplay. Carplay does not require a bluetooth connection for calls or texts. This will give you a warning about the “connection needed for location” that FordPass uses. Reason being is it uses bluetooth for that data. Carplay actually disconnects bluetooth while in use so theres no avoiding that message until its patched in 3.4.

There are 3rd party modules to add wireless carplay but they are hit and miss on reliability.

Lastly, Carplay is far more stable and feature rich than AppLink. AppLink is sluggish and lacking the inclusiveness of Carplay. Use Carplay and dont look back.

Edit: Regarding swapping the Sync 3 to Sync 4. It is highly possible based on previous Sync systems that this will be possible but it wont be cheap. There are a few issues though that we dont know yet. The screen sizes. There will be new sizes this year including a 12” screen. We will need an 8” screen with the same body dimensions we currently have for it to work.

If your sole purpose is wireless carplay, thats going to be an expensive upgrade for just that.
Thank you very much for the info and explanation. I really appreciate the feedback. this is what I found on Ford sync 4
  • Ford's available next generation of SYNC 4 communications and entertainment system brings new levels of intelligence and twice the computing power of SYNC 3 to help make navigation, music and connecting your vehicle to your smartphone faster and easier
  • All-new cloud connectivity combines conversational voice recognition with the power of internet search results, so drivers and passengers always have access to the latest information – from the closest restaurant to the nearest electric vehicle charge station
  • Tailored to run on a variety of new touchscreen displays available, from 8 inches to 15.5 inches, SYNC 4 includes enhanced multi-tasking to simultaneously display different features at the same time, plus cord-free Apple CarPlay, Android Auto and SYNC AppLink compatibility
Its suppose to have wireless charging also. the question would be, is the screen part going to be like a tablet? Im not a fan of the tablet thing sticking in the air, maybe it would grow on me. I would love a 12 inch touch screen in the vehicle. I doubt anyone will be able to make an after market bezel for it.

TylerV76

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4
Occupation
Thank you very much for the info and explanation. I really appreciate the feedback. this is what I found on Ford sync 4
  • Ford's available next generation of SYNC 4 communications and entertainment system brings new levels of intelligence and twice the computing power of SYNC 3 to help make navigation, music and connecting your vehicle to your smartphone faster and easier
  • All-new cloud connectivity combines conversational voice recognition with the power of internet search results, so drivers and passengers always have access to the latest information – from the closest restaurant to the nearest electric vehicle charge station
  • Tailored to run on a variety of new touchscreen displays available, from 8 inches to 15.5 inches, SYNC 4 includes enhanced multi-tasking to simultaneously display different features at the same time, plus cord-free Apple CarPlay, Android Auto and SYNC AppLink compatibility
Its suppose to have wireless charging also. the question would be, is the screen part going to be like a tablet? Im not a fan of the tablet thing sticking in the air, maybe it would grow on me. I would love a 12 inch touch screen in the vehicle. I doubt anyone will be able to make an after market bezel for it.
Yes, the new screens will be like tablets. Think Tesla or the Rams UConnect screens. I doubt you could get one to work in the current Rangers without spending an absolute fortune.

From my understanding, the multi-tasking will be the big feature of Sync 4 as well as web based system upgrades which were a massive fail for Sync 3.

Moose5330

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
I use Apple CarPlay and like it better than the Ford Sync. My only complaints (which could be user error) are the following:

• You can’t control the stereo or satellite channels through Car Play. You have to change back to the Ford system.
  • Also, it defaults to Apple Maps and won’t allow Google Maps or Waze on the home screen.

John Lyman

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I use Apple CarPlay and like it better than the Ford Sync. My only complaints (which could be user error) are the following:

• You can’t control the stereo or satellite channels through Car Play. You have to change back to the Ford system.
  • Also, it defaults to Apple Maps and won’t allow Google Maps or Waze on the home screen.
Moose on the steering wheel controls, if you click on the music note button this will go through your sources I believe it goes - AM1 - AM2 - FM1 - FM2 - FM3-XM1 - XM2-XM3 - CarPlay - So I set each stop to a top station of mine.

You should be able to use Google or Waze on CarPlay you need to make sure you have the latest iOS. If your updated then on your iPhone goto - Settings - General - CarPlay - Sync3 - Customize Here you should be able to move where items show up first screen or second screen. Google/Waze won't show up if you go to the three tile look yet.

Moose5330

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Moose on the steering wheel controls, if you click on the music note button this will go through your sources I believe it goes - AM1 - AM2 - FM1 - FM2 - FM3-XM1 - XM2-XM3 - CarPlay - So I set each stop to a top station of mine.

You should be able to use Google or Waze on CarPlay you need to make sure you have the latest iOS. If your updated then on your iPhone goto - Settings - General - CarPlay - Sync3 - Customize Here you should be able to move where items show up first screen or second screen. Google/Waze won't show up if you go to the three tile look yet.
thank you. I do use my steering wheel controls but would be nice to see the station, band or song, etc. I’m just being nit picky haha
Sponsored