Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Vehicle Showcase
The
Hi Steve,

Are you sure it is speed density? Thought Ford uses Direct Air Mass measurements..

best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired
Phil,

The Ranger has no Mass Airflow sensor, it calculates the airmass based on Manifold Pressure, Temp & RPM. No frequency based data from a MAF to deal with.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Psykostevo

Psykostevo

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Vehicle Showcase
Where & what would you use for the injector with this setup? Also curious about the output from this pump to atomize the mix into your injection point, what kind of psi is available with the injection?
I am looking into using a Throttle Body Spacer plate to mount the nozzle for spraying directly after the Throttle Body.

I am also going to need to find a pressure switch so that I can have the system automatically spray at a certain or adjustable manifold pressure.

I’ll have to check to see if the pump is rated at a certain PSI and get back to you on that. This is a fairly big pump for a 2.3L

Marshal.

First Name
Marshal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 ford ranger, 1979 Mazda rx7
Isn’t all the metering done in the nozzle selection? 1/2/3 GPH etc?

Mobius97

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat Fx4-Lotus Evora-Lotus Elise-BMW X7 M
@Psykostevo This is cool. :) It has been well over a decade since I messed with water/meth injection. I ran a Devils Own kit with their progressive controller on an old Audi TT back in the day. Post up some pics when you are done!

With the the Rangers DI setup, I think doing W/M injection would also help with the dreaded "carbon buildup" everyone is always discussing. Do you think this will help with keeping the valves clean like in other setups?

weasel1

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Ranger Lighting Blue FX4 w/302A
Occupation
Nuclear Operator
And it’s the time of year to stock up on the Winter Formula Windshield Washer Fluid. We don’t get the -20*F formula where I live, but that one has an even higher methanol concentration.

can’t beat $1.78 per gallon for premixed boost juice!

A4D5FFD8-CF23-40B7-BFFD-7A7EFAABE16D.jpeg
26CC7163-6107-4C77-8897-D2F592ACD20D.jpeg
I understand water/meth injection and its potential benefits. One thing I can't wrap my head around is using windshield washer fluid. Doesn't this stuff also have detergents in it? Would that not be harmful to the interior of the engine or is there simply not enough of it to matter?

OP
OP
Psykostevo

Psykostevo

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Vehicle Showcase
I understand water/meth injection and its potential benefits. One thing I can't wrap my head around is using windshield washer fluid. Doesn't this stuff also have detergents in it? Would that not be harmful to the interior of the engine or is there simply not enough of it to matter?
Contents will depend on which one you use. Most of them don’t even contain methanol, so you don’t want to just use any old washer fluid if you go that route.

As for any other added detergents (if any really), those just help give your intake valves that streak-free shine.

weasel1

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Ranger Lighting Blue FX4 w/302A
Occupation
Nuclear Operator
Contents will depend on which one you use. Most of them don’t even contain methanol, so you don’t want to just use any old washer fluid if you go that route.

As for any other added detergents (if any really), those just help give your intake valves that streak-free shine.
Most of the WWF we have up here contains methanol, so that's not an issue. I guess if one were paranoid you could always use distilled water and add your own methanol. Probably the same cost.

OP
OP
Psykostevo

Psykostevo

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Vehicle Showcase
Most of the WWF we have up here contains methanol, so that's not an issue. I guess if one were paranoid you could always use distilled water and add your own methanol. Probably the same cost.
i keep a barrel of Methanol in my garage. When I get it refilled it’s usually under $2 a gallon.

Indy650

First Name
john
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
definitely an interesting idea I'd love to see the final setup if you do it and I'm always interested in reading about tuning methods. I do mostly atvs, motorcycles, snowmobiles and I'm pretty much the only mechanic in my area that does tuning the other shops don't understand it at all except the dealers with their manufacturers tuners. I have ran pure methanol in dirt bikes and snowmobiles and done injection on some diesel trucks for customers. It would be cool to do just to help with carbon build up. I got an old mechanics book from a old guy I knew when I was a young teenager it was from the 60's and it showed using water to steam clean valves. Of course being a kid I had to try it out on my honda 3 wheeler. It did take some of the carbon off. They say that seafoam crap works really good I've never tried it though.

Andy

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat / 2019 Volvo XC60 T6 Inscription
I ran straight methanol in my SHO 3.5L. Kept the intake and valves in new condition for the life of my ownership. I used a progressive controller from devils own and an 8gph nozzle injecting just before the throttle body. Car would do 0-60 in 3.9s. :muscle:

As for the ranger I probably won’t go that route. It was a pain to use meth injection over different temperature ranges and always wondered when it would leak or stop running mid pull and grenade something. It’s a hobby for sure..

gnx7

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger XL 2wd, '93 RX-7 turbo LS9, '69 Chevelle turbo ProTouring
I was super into Buick Grand National turbo V6's and meth injection was very popular in the late 90's. There are plenty of methanol kits out with quality pumps and many fail safe's built in which are a lot better than a cobbled together setup.

A Hobbs switch will turn on a pump at a preset boost pressure it senses. Just signed up and hoping to learn more about this fun little motor. Picked up a '19 Ranger XL 2wd base model as a work truck.... low 13 second work truck has a nice ring to it :)

blank264

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 ford ranger
Occupation
linux admin
Psykostevo, What happened with this? I want this strictly for keeping everything clean and reducing knock. Where did you mount the reservoir?

Reactions: Doc

Sulli

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Automotive Interior Repair
Anyone else install a Water/Methanol Injection Kit on their Ranger yet?

Here is where I am thinking about mounting my pump and bottle.

197FA9A1-1028-4258-B26B-A7607FDF99EF.jpeg
E6F46F8D-0941-4D6C-BEDD-7B24577C36F5.jpeg
I have an 04 e55 AMG running a meth kit. Not tuned for it, just running it for the cooling. It definitely helps, but with this motor I don’t see the benefit. My Mercedes is a heavily modified, 10 second supercharged 5.5L. It needs the cooling. I haven’t seen intake temps really all the high on my ranger to think meth is the answer. And tuning for meth will always be a risk. Pump fails and ECU can’t pull timing and boom. At best you get an octane boost to run a 93 file?

Apples

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
Occupation
Retired
Go right ahead, and see what happens!

Methanol is VERY corrosive, especially to aluminum, and copper. Spraying it into the intake, no matter how it is done, will eventually cause big issues to arise. I wouldn't even spray it on the intercooler!

There may be some turbo Subie drivers here, and they can quote their owner's manual. It says in essence, nothing but water is to be added to the intercooler spray tank. Those who didn't heed the warning, found out the hard way!

geophb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Go right ahead, and see what happens!

Methanol is VERY corrosive, especially to aluminum, and copper. Spraying it into the intake, no matter how it is done, will eventually cause big issues to arise. I wouldn't even spray it on the intercooler!

There may be some turbo Subie drivers here, and they can quote their owner's manual. It says in essence, nothing but water is to be added to the intercooler spray tank. Those who didn't heed the warning, found out the hard way!
So is Ethanol, but yet we have flex fuel vehicles. Ethanol and methanol ability to corrode gets reduced as the water content increases.
Anhydrous E100 or M100 will eat aluminum in a matter of hours. But that is only if you soak it in it and its impossible to have it that "dry" in the real world.
Sponsored