Letting the truck warm up before driving.

Dmax

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat 4x4
Vehicle Showcase
Seems obvious but has made a huge difference in the AM commute. No rough first shifts in the transmission and no fan roar. Always bothersome to feel the rear clunk in the first minutes of driving.

simple remedy. It bothers me. Cheers.
Sponsored

Toytec

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT 302a S/cab 4X4 w/diff lock MG
Occupation
Automotive technician, Retired.
Vehicle Showcase
Ditto. Feelings the same.

outdoorphotog

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lincoln Navigator L
Occupation
Limo Driver
I notice a big difference too. Before work i try to remember and schedule the Fordpass app to start the truck 5 minutes before I leave for work. Its my first vehicle with remote start and I'm sure the novelty of using the app will wear off eventually.

Floyd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger SCab,'16 Connect,'95 MustangGT,'50 Ford
As a bicyclist, I know the hurt comes at the start of a ride, after the first mile everything smooths out.
I have always started moving my vehicles as soon as they are started.
Like the bike...a short rolling warm up, then drive normally.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
It definitely works. I usually just let mine idle for 2-3 minutes before I hop in and go.
Same here,It's just something I've always done. I guess I just got use to doing this way back with carburetors and still do it. I just wait for the rpm's to drop then go.

Sandman Ranger

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT Crew Cab 4x4 Saber
Occupation
Lead Process Engineer
Oil lubricates best once at operating temp. Best way to get to temp faster is to get in, start and drive normal right away. On my GTI it takes about 6 miles to reach temp. Idling likely would take longer. Sitting and waiting takes longer to get oil to temp. Regarding things like transmission. Does idling the motor help warm it?
Normally when cold just taking time will help with shifting. Back out and come to full stop before you put in drive. Pull away slow, do not gun it.
Vehicle should drive ok until fully to temp. My thoughts.

Toytec

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Good thoughts, Pete, but the subject here was only a 2-3 minute prep time before a get going. I doubt anyone here who respects their truck to just get in it and drive like it's fully warmed up on a mild weather day.
I have noticed absolutely no drivability issues when I do the remote start. However, I have experienced with my truck (mind you) that if I start up and go immediately, the truck gives me a huge 'skip' in the shift pattern.

Sandman Ranger

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Lead Process Engineer
Good thoughts, Pete, but the subject here was only a 2-3 minute prep time before a get going. I doubt anyone here who respects their truck to just get in it and drive like it's fully warmed up on a mild weather day.
I have noticed absolutely no drivability issues when I do the remote start. However, I have experienced with my truck (mind you) that if I start up and go immediately, the truck gives me a huge 'skip' in the shift pattern.
Being a 10 speed maybe it skips more gears when cold to keep rpm’s down? My reminder on leaving stems from time on VW GTI forum. A younger based forum they ask about start up and if warm up is needed. They also ask about coming home and does the turbo need to idle in order to cool.

2-3 min idle when oil cold is just possible additional wear. But maybe not. Not saying I am perfect. If windshield frosted over I am sitting some. No reason to work on windshield in Tennessee.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Being a 10 speed maybe it skips more gears when cold to keep rpm’s down? My reminder on leaving stems from time on VW GTI forum. A younger based forum they ask about start up and if warm up is needed. They also ask about coming home and does the turbo need to idle in order to cool.

2-3 min idle when oil cold is just possible additional wear. But maybe not. Not saying I am perfect. If windshield frosted over I am sitting some. No reason to work on windshield in Tennessee.
Hi Pete,

The Ford procedure for cold start is start, select Drive and go... No need to warm up, but if you wish to do so, then go ahead...little harm if any to the engine/turbo...

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

Toytec

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I should've said more like a giant 'hiccup' A more like, 'what was that?' type of skip, but blame it on 'oh, it's just cold, go easy' thinking.
Won't do that at all with a brief warm up.
This is my first GDI turbo so it just acts so differently than let's say my other car a 17 Camry 4 cyl which just doesn't give a rat's hoot if it's cold or nor not just go!

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
I should've said more like a giant 'hiccup' A more like, 'what was that?' type of skip, but blame it on 'oh, it's just cold, go easy' thinking.
Won't do that at all with a brief warm up.
This is my first GDI turbo so it just acts so differently than let's say my other car a 17 Camry 4 cyl which just doesn't give a rat's hoot if it's cold or nor not just go!
That has been my experience as well. Even with a short warmup, on colder days (< 45 degrees or so), I might have ONE hard/odd shift right after starting out, but after that all is good. On warmer days I have no issues like that. I'm not worried about it since it is VERY specific and only happens when cold.

Sandman Ranger

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Lead Process Engineer
Hi Pete,

The Ford procedure for cold start is start, select Drive and go... No need to warm up, but if you wish to do so, then go ahead...little harm if any to the engine/turbo...

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired
So I was in the ball park?
No expert but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express!

Phil,
Warm up and transmission.
Does this help warm trans fluid?
Any coolant running through trans?
Wondering if warm up would even help shifting?

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
So I was in the ball park?
No expert but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express!

Phil,
Warm up and transmission.
Does this help warm trans fluid?
Any coolant running through trans?
Wondering if warm up would even help shifting?
Hi Pete,

If you look purely at energy consumption, the engine rejects heat...most into the radiator, so there is some heat into the tranmission fluid, but the volume of fluid in the transmission is likely more than to raise the temperature a few degrees if any. Oil and trans temps increase as the fluid is sheared like driving...The only time I knew where warming up the vehicle occurred was on the Alaskan Pipeline. At those extreme low temperatures, the grear oil in the transer cases and differentials would be come so "solid" the vehicle would not move, so to make the vehicle useful, the truck was kept running in gear to allow for the fluids to stay liquid... It is likely best to use warmup for your comfort, not the powertrain's. So if not for comfort...Start and go...

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired
Sponsored