How long to allow someone else to drive your Ranger

How long did it take you to allow someone else to drive your Ranger

• Total voters

Floyd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger SCab,'16 Connect,'95 MustangGT,'50 Ford
My last Ranger, Out of about 185000 miles and 18 years, someone else may have driven it a total of a 185 miles (probably less).
About the same for the one before that.
Looks like the same is in store for this one.
Sponsored

weasel1

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Ranger Lighting Blue FX4 w/302A
Occupation
Nuclear Operator
In my case, it's her truck. I didn't get to drive it for about a month. Whenever we get time off together and need a vehicle, I grab the keys to the Ranger and run:bandit: If I didn't do that I'd never get the chance :giggle:

RANGER_MARC

First Name
MARC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FORD RANGER LARIAT 2019
Occupation
TEACH
Vehicle Showcase
I would suggest another category to click off in the poll above, which is, "over my dead body!" I don't drive other people's vehicles, and I don't want anybody else driving mine. The reason is, regardless of the level of trust, affection, even love, among the parties, if I wreck your vehicle, you will resent it, and if you wreck mine, I will resent it. So let's keep the good feelings intact, don't ask to drive my truck, and I won't ask to drive your vehicle.

rooster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
STX FX4 SuperCrew
Occupation
engineering systems admin
Vehicle Showcase
Only if I get mangled riding dirt bikes or mountain climbing and I need someone to drag me to a hospital. I have no problem helping out family and friends moving stuff, but I'm the Captain lol.

dmeyer302

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Escape, 2016 Odyssey
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
I try to get my wife to drive it. After all, she’s paying for it too and it’s currently the nicer of our two vehicles. But she knows how particular I am with it and she’s afraid of messing something up. She drives it when she needs to but doesn’t usually choose it.

Gizmokid2005

Threads
Reaction score
Website
gizmokid2005.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT 4X4 SCrew
Occupation
SQL Developer
Vehicle Showcase
The ONLY TIME I'd let someone drive my truck is if it were an emergency and I couldn't drive it.

I asked my wife if she wanted to drive it once and she said no thanks. She knows how I feel about my truck and completely respects it and me. She's really good about that and is always looking for accessories for it. She always says... "You work hard, you should get what you want". She's a hot $hit! Also a very sweet and kind person to everyone. I got lucky.
That's how it happened for me. Less than three weeks and partner has been driving it ever since! Damn broken ankles...

Indy650

First Name
john
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
I let my aunt drive it as soon as I got it home. I beg my mom to drive it but she is terrified of it. She has drove it a few times and hates it. She can barely figure out her Ipad so the touchscreen might as well be in a different language and she has always drove standard so she doesn't like that. The auto lights and wipers freak her out even though you literally can ignore them they do the work for you. It's extremely confusing to me how some people just can't figure out technology.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
I let my aunt drive it as soon as I got it home. I beg my mom to drive it but she is terrified of it. She has drove it a few times and hates it. She can barely figure out her Ipad so the touchscreen might as well be in a different language and she has always drove standard so she doesn't like that. The auto lights and wipers freak her out even though you literally can ignore them they do the work for you. It's extremely confusing to me how some people just can't figure out technology.
Same here....I don't think I've ever read an owners manual. I always just play around with new stuff like the touchscreen or a new smartphone or iPad and figure it out. If I get in a bind I'll jump online or find a message board and search there.

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase
Under certain circumstances not listed in poll...

1-Wife as my designated driver:blush:
2-Service technician :inspect:
3-Emergency and I can't drive:oops:
4-Stolen:explode:

OP
OP
John Lyman

John Lyman

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Sport 4x2 Oxford White
Vehicle Showcase
That's how it happened for me. Less than three weeks and partner has been driving it ever since! Damn broken ankles...
Ouch - hope you get your truck back or you may just have to get another

r1ch999999

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat Crew Cab 4x4
Occupation
Software Engineer
My wife hasn’t driven it yet, but I’ve had it for less than two weeks. My last new Ranger was an 03 and she drove that to work one day to show people. I think she felt bad and only drove it again after I had surgery and had no use of my left leg.

Indy650

First Name
john
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
Same here....I don't think I've ever read an owners manual. I always just play around with new stuff like the touchscreen or a new smartphone or iPad and figure it out. If I get in a bind I'll jump online or find a message board and search there.
yes the search engine was a wonderful invention. It's funny even with it being around for decades now how many people still ask simple questions rather than just googling it.

NickTheEnforcer

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT Sport 4x4, 2020 Ford Escape Hybrid SE Sport AWD, 2009 Dodge Ram Big Horn Crew 4x4 HEMI
Occupation
Residential Construction Project Development & Purchasing.
My wife & 16 year old son both drove a ranger when we took one out for and extended test drive about 2 hours from the stealership. Thats it, it was an XL 4x2. I ended up buying an XLT Sport 4x4 so neither have driven mine on the road. Once I was in the driveway behind the wife's 2016 escape so she moved it over and totally jacked up my seat adjustment...she adjusted it to her 5' height like she was driving cross-country. Son has my 2009 Ram and as a new driver I wont let him near the driver seat for at least a year though I am more at ease with his driving [maybe because he's half 'me'] than my wife. She's a good driver but I just get un-nerved when shes the skipper...She had a major wreck in the Escape to the tune of $13k, is was determined to be 100% other drivers [also a chick] fault. Shes kinda a bad luck magnet because same car been tapped three times in the rear, nothing major but still enough for an insurance claim and re-paint.

So 'no' not interested in letting anyone drive my truck, drove the Dodge 10 years and for now its all about 'me'...

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
My wife & 16 year old son both drove a ranger when we took one out for and extended test drive about 2 hours from the stealership. Thats it, it was an XL 4x2. I ended up buying an XLT Sport 4x4 so neither have driven mine on the road. Once I was in the driveway behind the wife's 2016 escape so she moved it over and totally jacked up my seat adjustment...she adjusted it to her 5' height like she was driving cross-country. Son has my 2009 Ram and as a new driver I wont let him near the driver seat for at least a year though I am more at ease with his driving [maybe because he's half 'me'] than my wife. She's a good driver but I just get un-nerved when shes the skipper...She had a major wreck in the Escape to the tune of $13k, is was determined to be 100% other drivers [also a chick] fault. Shes kinda a bad luck magnet because same car been tapped three times in the rear, nothing major but still enough for an insurance claim and re-paint.

So 'no' not interested in letting anyone drive my truck, drove the Dodge 10 years and for now its all about 'me'...
Hi Anthony,

I am facing a rare occurrence where my wife has to drive me home after my eye surgery as my left eye will be tapped shut. She is a dear, but she hugs the white line to the right of the road instead of the center of the road...drives me nuts... So she will have to drive me back up to Tuscon the next day for the check up of my eye... White knuckle both home and back up the following morning... Gotta take a chill pill, eh???

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired
Sponsored