First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
Hearing all of this makes me glad I pulled the trigger in 2019 instead of waiting! There does not seem to be a single improvement, unless one has a favorite color that is newly available! Does this mean that they are saving all the cool stuff for the next generation?
Same here. I was going to wait for the 2020's but I really hated driving my Tacoma so I bought my Ranger back in July and have zero regrets! I think you're right that they're probably just going to make a few minor changes here and there until the next generation comes out. Right now they're concentrating on the new Bronco release and the Ranger will get a good makeover,I'm guessing interior and today design.

I don't like that they've eliminated a few things like the rear seat tilting headrests. Those are one of those little "obscure" features you don't realize how much you like it until it's gone. Kind of like a tailgate damper lol. ;)
Sponsored

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
You get a map pocket on the back of your driver side seat on the 2020. :shock:
They must have now included that with the lower trims as it's standard on the Lariat. :)

rdgallo

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat Crew Cab 4X4
Occupation
Retired Caterpillar, Inc. Senior Quality Engineer
My front seat covers will be replaced soon through Ford's Custome Care. Hopefully they will be better and the dealer can install them correctly. I hope Ford is working with the supplier to correct this issue. I asked Ford's Customer Care if I could have the 2019 covers with the Ranger logo installed instead of the 2020 seat covers and was told that cannot happen.
My new covers are scheduled to be installed on Jan 23 I will post the results.

Mokume

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Ranger Supercab (sold 12/19) , 2002 Honda CR-V
Occupation
Retired Firefighter III, Honolulu Fire Department
Hearing all of this makes me glad I pulled the trigger in 2019 instead of waiting! There does not seem to be a single improvement, unless one has a favorite color that is newly available! Does this mean that they are saving all the cool stuff for the next generation?
That would be my guess, Ford knew that the existing Ranger platform would be redone in the very near future when they federalized the existing platform for USA consumption, so why go all out on it?
This is something some so-called automotive journalists are calling Ford out on, the current model has been on sale in other countries for years, but for me, the truck is all new. Ford knew they screwed up when they abandoned the mid-size market as they watched Toyota sell all the Tacoma's they could pump out, followed by GM with its twins.
This market segment will be the one to watch, as Ford, Toyota, and Nissan rush their re-designs to market, the Ridgeline and Gladiator, to me, are niche market trucks, not really mainstream mid-size trucks. Don't forget that FCA will be bringing the Dakota back also.
IMO, the only salient point about the Taco is its resale value, but that will change as Toyota floods the market with its expected new factory in Mexico. Nissan is totally lost in the truck segment, full and mid-size, the recent refresh of the Titan did practically nothing to boost its sales, while the Frontier is lost in a time warp.
I salute Ford's decision to build the Ranger at Michigan Assembly, they were considering manufacturing it in Mexico as well, there's a video on YouTube of how they redid the Michigan plant from Focus to Ranger production, looks as though all Ford kept was the building's shell.

OP
OP
Nutty 5.0

Nutty 5.0

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 LB Super Crew, 2012 GT500, 2015 VW GSW TDI
Vehicle Showcase
It’s always a gamble the first year. I remember when the 2009 F150 new design came out. You could get two tone and a flare side. Last year of it. I picked up the 2010 which was first year for electric fan but last year for the 4.6/5.4 modular.

Happy for you 2019 guys! Saved some money on the total price and likely some incentives. Was holding out for a diesel option but wife’s car was ready for replacement hence us ordering the 20. Wish they had the rear folding headrests. That was the biggest loss to us.

Still waiting to see what else we lost as time goes on lol!

EcoRanger

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 301A SuperCrew 4X4 2015 Ecoboost Mustang 50 Year Appereance Package convertible
Vehicle Showcase
Ford has added somethings to the options for example I would have got the XLT 302a package but the Sport Appearance package was mandatory, sorry don't like the looks of that package so I got the XLT 301a that doesn't require the Sport Appearance package. Well the 2020 Ranger the Sport Appearance package is now mandatory on the 301a as well as the 302a option package. I am truly glad I got a 2019 Ranger.

micl9

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Fx4 302A
Vehicle Showcase
Was at the dlr today and picked up a 2020 brochure. Nothing jumped out at me but I have not done a detailed comparison.
Was talking with the parts guy and he also had heard the 2020 had a 1 pc drive shaft. I read somewhere that one "fix" from Ford was to loosen the center carrier and let it find its on center and re-tighten. Not sure that would really work unless it was turning and that's not a good idea to try!
Anyway, Getting mine in for service so I can be on record as having the low speed vib.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Was at the dlr today and picked up a 2020 brochure. Nothing jumped out at me but I have not done a detailed comparison.
Was talking with the parts guy and he also had heard the 2020 had a 1 pc drive shaft. I read somewhere that one "fix" from Ford was to loosen the center carrier and let it find its on center and re-tighten. Not sure that would really work unless it was turning and that's not a good idea to try!
Anyway, Getting mine in for service so I can be on record as having the low speed vib.
Hi Mike,

Hope the 1 piece driveshaft is true...Should be much better for startup shudder... So there are folks out there that have 2020 Rangers. What say Ye? One piece???

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

OP
OP
Nutty 5.0

Nutty 5.0

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Still two piece on our 12/10/19 build 2020.
15818EAD-B073-44A4-AA35-AB01D2D73EAE.jpeg
1A0503A8-51D2-4024-97D8-31B64B76EDED.jpeg

Robert Jones

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
I read somewhere that the 2020's will also have a power outlet on the rear view mirror assembly. This is intended for a video camera. Anyone confirm ?

micl9

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Fx4 302A
Vehicle Showcase
Still two piece on our 12/10/19 build 2020.
Thanks for the picks Nutty!
Maybe the rumors are a future change to address the vibration issue.

Does your 2020 exhibit the low speed vibration?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Nutty 5.0

Nutty 5.0

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I haven’t noticed and neither the wife who drives it 95% of the time hasn’t noticed it either.

Last edited:

micl9

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Fx4 302A
Vehicle Showcase
There are a few threads on it
Here is an article - Yeah, That Vibration
Interesting that Ford definitely knows about this.
Sponsored