Ask a Ford Dealer Sales Professional

BRanger

First Name
Beau
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 301a XLT Cactus Grey
I wanted to start this thread to help others with questions about the vehicle or the purchasing process. I’ll be the first to say that I don’t know everything but I’ll do my best to find an answer for you!

This is not a thread to bash the dealership and/or employees, get the best price, or any other ill mannered motives. I will not respond and get moderators if need be.
Sponsored

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SuperCab XL - FX4 - Magnetic - Rocksliders
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
Thanks for offering up your services here.

What training is required to be a Ford Dealer Sales Professional? Based on my experience buying our Ranger, I knew more about the truck than the sales staff?

OP
OP
BRanger

BRanger

First Name
Beau
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

What training is required to be a Ford Dealer Sales Professional? Based on my experience buying our Ranger, I knew more about the truck than the sales staff?
We have to complete an online course on each vehicle as well as etiquette dealing with customers. You can seriously breeze through the course and quiz on each vehicle in 20 minutes.
It’s really up to the employee to take notes, sit in the vehicle, and really get themselves familiar. That being said, I’m still learning something new every day from y’all on here. There’s so many minds working together and we’re not trained on anything service related.

FULLSCALE

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4 Supercrew, 2011 Mazda 3 Sport GT-E, 1968 Ford Mustang

I'd be interested in hearing the same. I know they can't know everything about every little detail but most of the dealerships I talked to didn't seem too knowledgeable on the Ranger. I understand it's a new model and someone looking at that specific model will have done their homework too.

OP
OP
BRanger

BRanger

First Name
Beau
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'd be interested in hearing the same. I know they can't know everything about every little detail but most of the dealerships I talked to didn't seem too knowledgeable on the Ranger. I understand it's a new model and someone looking at that specific model will have done their homework too.
You’re right, the new Ranger was certainly a bit more difficult to master per se. On most other vehicles, we can build off the previous MY and much rolls over. With the Ranger, it’s been years since they’ve made one. Luckily, we have seen this engine before and the basic product line items such as SYNC3, lane keeping, adaptive cruise, etc is the same.

We certainly are learning more and more fine details (such as how the towing capacity doesn’t change whether you have a towing pkg or not as long as you have a hitch rated to 7,500). Other models include oil coolers, different gear ratios, etc.

We are certainly expected to understand the what each trim level entails and what features come in each package though. A bit of competitor knowledge is preferred as well.

Mokume

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Ranger Supercab (sold 12/19) , 2002 Honda CR-V
Occupation
Retired Firefighter III, Honolulu Fire Department
When I worked at a Lincoln-Mercury dealership in the mid-seventies to the late eighties, I remember the GM and a particular sales manager who established an excellent rapport with parts and service departments, both knew everybody's first name (there were 27 mechanics alone when I was there).

Semi-annually, both would host a lunch/meeting get together for sales, service, and parts. These meetings were held on Saturdays so as not disrupt daily operations, attendance was optional and these events were either held at the GM's fabulous beachside residence or at a country club he belonged to. If the event was beachside, you were encouraged to bring your family.

The food was excellent and the bar was open, the entire event lasted 3-4 hours. I cannot begin to think about what the tab was for these affairs.

Needless to say, morale was very high and camaraderie was excellent between all departments, I left the dealership in 1989 to pursue a different occupation.

These get-togethers ended in the mid-nineties when the GM passed away. The current GM (the former GM's son) never continued the tradition.

My point here is to point out the importance of a good relationship with parts and service if you haven't already done so and to all sales professionals as well. You'd be surprised at how pleasant your job will be.
Sponsored