Ranger built in Hot Spot

Monty

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda
Finally activated the Ranger on-board Hot Spot and all the family phones can see it - No problems. The problem is that the Ranger's "Scan Wifi" feature cannot see the Hot Spot. Just don't make sense. Anyone got any gotcha's to help out an old school kinda guy!
Sponsored

SandBaja

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Silver FX4, 501A pkg, fully optioned,2012 Rubicon, 2017 Cherokee, 2018 Volt
Occupation
Almost retired

outdoorphotog

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lincoln Navigator L
Occupation
Limo Driver
I was trying to figure out the advantage of the wifi. I have a dataplan on my phone, but what could be useful by having the wifi in the truck?

This is the first vehicle i had with any tech in it so perhaps i am far behind the times.

shred5

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
I was trying to figure out the advantage of the wifi. I have a dataplan on my phone, but what could be useful by having the wifi in the truck?

This is the first vehicle i had with any tech in it so perhaps i am far behind the times.

You can hook up anything that does not have cell like tablets or laptops.

I do allot of trips and several people can stream off it.

It has its own data plan.. I think I was paying 20.00 unlimited on my Colorado..

It is a hotspot.

Granddaughter and Sandy stream movies on their tablets on long trips.

outdoorphotog

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lincoln Navigator L
Occupation
Limo Driver
You can hook up anything that does not have cell like tablets or laptops.

I do allot of trips and several people can stream off it.

It has its own data plan.. I think I was paying 20.00 unlimited on my Colorado..

It is a hotspot.

Granddaughter and Sandy stream movies on their tablets on ling trips.
I see, that makes sense to me.

phutchin

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger

I have a dataplan with my phone as well but I still went with the unlimited plan for the truck. Anecdotally, I feel like the truck's cell signal is generally stronger than my phone gets and can make it through some dead spots that my phone usually loses signal. My guess is that the antenna is larger since it doesn't have to fit in your pocket.

OP
OP
Monty

Monty

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda
Nobody has addressed my thread Issue. That is that the built in modem cannot be seen by the Ranger's wifi Scan function. Which doesn't make any sense. What about it guys..any thoughts?

JaysOnTheEDGE

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Sport 4x4, 2021 Escape SEL AWD
Nobody has addressed my thread Issue. That is that the built in modem cannot be seen by the Ranger's wifi Scan function. Which doesn't make any sense. What about it guys..any thoughts?
My truck wont see it either, as a test i took a spare router i had and made it the same wifi name and passkey as my trucks hot spot. Went out to the truck and connected it to the trucks wifi scan function once it connected i shut the router off and and power power cycled sync and the wifi scan didn't reconnect to the hotspot wifi.

I though the wifi scan only used for sync updates though? and isn't the truck connected to the modem already as the myfordpass feature works to lock,unlock, and remote start the truck. isn't a cellular connection required

CoastieN70

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariet
Occupation
Retired
I may be incorrect ( because I'm never wrong ;)) but if the trucks modem and WIFI both run through SYNC, then it would make sense that SYNC would not allow the type interaction you are trying. Kinda like putting a "Y Connector on and outdoor spigot and connecting both ends of a hose to that "Y Connector."
Just my take on it... :)

SandBaja

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Silver FX4, 501A pkg, fully optioned,2012 Rubicon, 2017 Cherokee, 2018 Volt
Occupation
Almost retired
I suspect it because it is internal (part of sync, either cable connected or built in) and the scan only reads external wifi.

shred5

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
You have to set the wifi hot spot up so you can connect to it. There may be a default SSD and PW already set but I do not remember. But it is in the settings somewhere.. You need to set up a ssid and pw. You may have to enable wifi too I do not remember. Once you do you then have to set it up through att to use it. Once your tablet or laptop connects to your wifi hot spot and you open your browser it will redirect you to att website to set up the 3 free months.

If were not in the middle of a ice/snow storm I would go out and check exactly what needs to be done...
Might be able to set up the hot spot through my pass app too..

J Haggerty (RADAR1)

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Supercrew I4, 2017 Dodge Durango SXT V6, 2004 Dodge Dakota SLT V8
Occupation
Retired USAF Air Traffic Controller

Another advantage if you have a different carrier is if you are in a dead spot with your carrier, the built in WiFi using AT&T might still have coverage.

svache

First Name
JJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat SuperCrew Saber, 2012 BMW 328i
Vehicle Showcase
Another advantage if you have a different carrier is if you are in a dead spot with your carrier, the built in WiFi using AT&T might still have coverage.
That is, if you have a different carrier lol

JaysOnTheEDGE

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Sport 4x4, 2021 Escape SEL AWD
i love the truck hot spot i'm a mobile technician and it is so nice having the ability to connect my laptop on the go without looking for free wifi all the time. i just wish there was a way it could stay on after the key is out even if it was just for 30 minutes or so.

GT5050

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Finally activated the Ranger on-board Hot Spot and all the family phones can see it - No problems. The problem is that the Ranger's "Scan Wifi" feature cannot see the Hot Spot. Just don't make sense. Anyone got any gotcha's to help out an old school kinda guy!
I assume what you are trying to do is to hook the Ranger up to its own hotspot, like you would hook it up to your home’s wifi, for software updates and such?

The answer is it can’t be done and the vehicle will not recognize its own wifi network as you’ve found out. But my understanding is that it’s by design - not sure why. I am pretty sure that the wifi updates are designed to be downloaded when the vehicle is stationary and it will keep receiving updates for a period of time even after the vehicle is off. However, the hotspot only works when the engine or at least accessory power is running, and in most cases there would be very little overlap of the two. Either the vehicle is running and moving, or stationary and off. So as it’s currently set up there would be no benefit to hooking the truck up to its own wifi for updates.

I’d like to believe that in the future Ford will simply leverage the modem itself for pushing updates to the car, but wifi updates started with Sync 3 and there were many Sync 3 vehicles built in prior years that weren’t equipped with modems like almost all of the current lineup is...
Sponsored