Air Intake

ryyck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Has anyone looked into an air intake for their Ranger? I'm curious as to benefits and choices.
Thanks for all input.

Ryyck
Sponsored

DHare

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat - Saber; 2020 Ford Edge - Rapid Red
Occupation
Retired
Has anyone looked into an air intake for their Ranger? I'm curious as to benefits and choices.
Thanks for all input.

Ryyck
Search our forum for "Air Intake" and you'll find several threads on this subject.

lohchief

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4 CC.
Occupation
Disabled/retired
Vehicle Showcase
If this would be your first mod to your ranger,do the exhaust first. It's very restricted and if you don't,and just go with a cai,you won't notice anything but noise. Remember,"easy out-easier in". The exhaust system on any truck is totally constipated and the engine really has to work harder to expel the exhaust gases.

OP
OP
ryyck

ryyck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
If this would be your first mod to your ranger,do the exhaust first. It's very restricted and if you don't,and just go with a cai,you won't notice anything but noise. Remember,"easy out-easier in". The exhaust system on any truck is totally constipated and the engine really has to work harder to expel the exhaust gases.

Good point taken. I never thought about that. I appreciate the help.

Polar Bear

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger XLT FX2 SuperCrew Rapid Red
Occupation
Medical
Vehicle Showcase

viperwolf

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Everest 4x4 Titanium BI Turbo, 2015 Ford Ecosport Titanium
Occupation
Retired Military

RangerJosh

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT 4x4
Intakes are fairly limited still... I think Roush is pretty much the only option right now.

OP
OP
ryyck

ryyck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Intakes are fairly limited still... I think Roush is pretty much the only option right now.
That's what I found...only one other. I liked the Roush better, but the price kinda slowed me up. I need to do a bit more research...the comment about how to exhaust all this air makes a lot of sense.

RangerJosh

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT 4x4
That's what I found...only one other. I liked the Roush better, but the price kinda slowed me up. I need to do a bit more research...the comment about how to exhaust all this air makes a lot of sense.
I'd def invest in an exhaust way before an intake (if ever)

Polar Bear

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Medical
Vehicle Showcase

TommyAtomic

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
My goto first modification on every vehicle I’ve every bought is modifying or replacing the restrictive stock air intake. From the Factory there is almost always a series of:
* intake resonators
* unnecessary tubing diameter reductions
* restrictive airbox inlet
* in one case a Factory airbox was designed to completely heat soak with even a miniscule amount of idling
* accordion elbow’s or other non-smooth flowing plumbing
* badly designed intakes that eventually leak and therefore throw off MAF readings with unmetered air
* other flow restrictions that ruin throttle response.
I’ve always replaced stock air intake first because the individuals responsible for most factory intake designs clearly love shitty throttle response. Replacing the intake is usually its good for 5-15hp . Except the Ranger.

The intake on the Ranger doesn’t seem to have any such shenanigans. Apparently the Factory shenanigan on the Ranger is the stock muffler with its 1” restriction.

Polar Bear

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Medical
Vehicle Showcase
My goto first modification on every vehicle I’ve every bought is modifying or replacing the restrictive stock air intake. From the Factory there is almost always a series of:
* intake resonators
* unnecessary tubing diameter reductions
* restrictive airbox inlet
* in one case a Factory airbox was designed to completely heat soak with even a miniscule amount of idling
* accordion elbow’s or other non-smooth flowing plumbing
* badly designed intakes that eventually leak and therefore throw off MAF readings with unmetered air
* other flow restrictions that ruin throttle response.
I’ve always replaced stock air intake first because the individuals responsible for most factory intake designs clearly love shitty throttle response. Replacing the intake is usually its good for 5-15hp . Except the Ranger.

The intake on the Ranger doesn’t seem to have any such shenanigans. Apparently the Factory shenanigan on the Ranger is the stock muffler with its 1” restriction.
Same here. I love my Roush intake but I didn’t know about the exhaust restriction. Now that both are remedied it’s like a whole new truck
Sponsored