2019 Overland Ranger Project

HoosierT

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘19 Ranger Lariat FX4, '17 Explorer Sport
I can't speak for the new Ranger's electrical capacity yet, my truck only has 800 miles on it and I haven't delved into alternate batteries, etc. yet and I am just starting my build. I CAN tell you that my '07 4Runner, which I overland in, has matched dual AGM batteries and a smart solenoid to handle the charging functions as well as other items. This gives me the ability to camp for days at a time, run my camp lights, and my camp fridge and still have a fresh battery to power the vehicle when it's time to move on. If you want to stay longer without running the main engine you could also install solar panels to charge the house battery, or even run a small camp generator. Isolating batteries is a must, in my opinion. I have my winch and off road lights connected to the main truck battery because I always have the engine running when using those accessories. My communications and other camp related items, as I said, are hooked to the 'house' battery. The system has never failed me. There is a lot of info on this subject in the overlanding forums. Good luck in overlanding, I think you will enjoy it immensely.
Somewhat similar, I am running a Yeti Lithium 400 battery for camp stuff like lights, fridge, etc. It'll get charged via 12v in the bed while driving and solar while in camp. For my winch and compressor, I have no issue using the starting battery for those since I'll just leave the truck running anytime they're in use. The Ranger actually has quite a nice AGM battery stock so it'll handle those tasks just fine.
Sponsored

RoadBoss

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TJAoutfitters.com
Vehicle(s)
95 Isuzu trooper, AE86 corolla, 19 ranger XL
Occupation
video/film, small business owner
I'm starting to get interested in overlanding. My understanding is most people overlanding for significant distances or lengths of time try to keep their electrical reasonably simple if possible. To that end am I right in assuming that you swapped the stock Ranger battery for a high capacity deep cycle battery for some added reliability running winch, air compressor, tools etc?
can't speak for this truck, but most people add an auxiliary battery system and run any aftermarket stuff (other than driving lights) on the aux system.

M SPEC

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor, 05 &10 Subaru STI, 911, LC +2
Occupation
ER Nurse/Nursing Instructor Retired
Hey guys! I never post here and my buddy Rory reminded me that this forum exists lol. I figured a lot of you may get a kick out of the truck I did.

Started with a 2019 Ford Ranger XLT with tech package and e-locker in Feb, and by April it was built for Overland Expo West and just recently finished some more updates and installed 35s.

Loving the truck so far, happy to see everyone else's builds.

LastShareCollage.png

fullsizeoutput_2e75.jpeg
WELL DONE!!! But seriously you need more gear :cool: ???

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase
WELL DONE!!! But seriously you need more gear :cool: ???
I remember seeing this thread when I just got mine...oldy but goody...as for auxiliary electrical set up, I've been running standard battery with almost all lighting interfaced through Trigger 6 power supply...it takes care of all the load and switching and it's wireless so I control all of the light output from my iphone or their toggle switch...no firewall wiring...
Sponsored