First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Ranger Supercab (sold 12/19) , 2002 Honda CR-V
Occupation
Retired Firefighter III, Honolulu Fire Department
To those S/Cab owners, you may want to take heed of a potential rust-prone area on your Ranger's roof, if Ford has not changed the body panel attachment design from the 4G Rangers.

Where the inner and outer roof panels are joined via spot welding, there is a rubber weatherstrip used to conceal this seam. It seems as though moisture would seep under the w/strip and start the rusting process in a very vulnerable spot.
My 2000 S/Cab rusted here on both sides, being more pronounced on the horizontal roof section, although the A-pillars did have some rusting.

I will inspect this area on my 2020, if it is the same design, I'll remove the weatherstrip and apply POR 15 to the seam being careful to coat just the seam itself. I am leaning towards POR 15 because it dries practically rockhard and won't abrade when re-installing the w/strip. For added protection, I may just lower the headliner, drill strategically placed holes in the inner roof panel and apply Woolwax on the inside of this seam. I will then install 1/2 body plugs in these POR 15 painted holes.

Hawaii has a salt moisture-rich environment, I need to give my 2020 a fighting chance.

What do other members think of my proposal?

rust.jpg

rust2.jpg
Sponsored

OP
OP
Mokume

Mokume

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Perhaps so, all I am trying to do is to delay the inevitable.
Mahalo for your positive remarks...

pa-fatboy

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2016 Mustang GT Premium, 1966 Mustang Convertible C Code, 2019 Ford Fusion, 2005 Ford Focus ST
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for the heads up. I’m not 100% sure I understand where the problem is. Could you possibly post a picture back a little bit and circle the are you are talking about? Sorry, I’m just being thick in the head tonight.

Thanks!

OP
OP
Mokume

Mokume

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Thanks for the heads up. I’m not 100% sure I understand where the problem is. Could you possibly post a picture back a little bit and circle the are you are talking about? Sorry, I’m just being thick in the head tonight.

Thanks!
Sorry for the terrible pics bud, I would post better pics, but I sold the truck a few days before Christmas.
This problem was common on S/Cabs with the rear door option on 4g Rangers, I've seen many others rust in the exact same spot. Maybe you can gain access to the same vehicle? mine was a 2000. Believe it or not, not all S/Cabs of this era were 4 door models, the 4 door capability was an option.
When my 2020 S/Cab arrives next week I am going to inspect this area to see if it's the same design.
The upper weatherstrip is the culprit, not the one sealing the door to the body. Moisture gets trapped behind it, in exactly where the 2 panels are joined.
Keep you posted.
Sponsored