Crowd-sourced Trailer Brake Controller's List for 2019 Ford Ranger

What Brand of Confirmed Working Trailer Brake Controller Do You Have Installed?

• Total voters

DrRoger

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Taurus, 2019 Ranger XL (May 20)
Occupation
Retired
Picked my trailer up yesterday. Started driving home today. P3 works as expected.
Sponsored

SRanger

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4
I tested the REDARC over the weekend and it worked extremely well. It was the best performance I have seen out of an after market brake controller.

ausable

First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2018 F-150
Vehicle Showcase
Tested two different Tekonsha controllers. From the pricier Tekonsha P3 all the way down to the $35 Pod time delay model. They work flawlessly. This confirms what Tekonsha tech support stated, basically quoting, "There's nothing unique about the new Ranger. It is an industry standard 4 wire system. Any and all of our brake controllers will work." Tekonsha is now part of a larger corporate group, Horizon Global, that contains Reese brand, Hidden Hitch, Draw Time, Pro Series, etc. Any and all will also work. There are literally dozens of brake controllers sold under these brands and all will work.

https://www.horizonglobal.com

ausable

First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2018 F-150
Vehicle Showcase
Good location. Out of the way, yet easy access. 3M Command mounts. No bracket, no drilling.

IMG_2589.JPG

IMG_2598.JPG

J Haggerty (RADAR1)

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Supercrew I4, 2017 Dodge Durango SXT V6, 2004 Dodge Dakota SLT V8
Occupation
Retired USAF Air Traffic Controller
Installed Hopkins Insight Brake controller... confirmed excellent.
Hi Floyd,
Do you have a photo of where you put the readout and the activator in your Ranger?

Floyd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger SCab,'16 Connect,'95 MustangGT,'50 Ford
Hi Floyd,
Do you have a photo of where you put the readout and the activator in your Ranger?
Yes, Great look and excellent locations, but lousy photography...
The readout screen is just to the right of the 12V powerpoint and the control is down and to the left.
It looks straight and almost built in in person, also it is completely accessible without being in the way.
The main unit is mounted just under the dash against the console above and aft of the loud pedal.

thumbnail.jpgHI2.jpg

thumbnail.jpgIB1.jpg

thumbnail.jpgIB5.jpg

Last edited:

J Haggerty (RADAR1)

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Supercrew I4, 2017 Dodge Durango SXT V6, 2004 Dodge Dakota SLT V8
Occupation
Retired USAF Air Traffic Controller
I installed my already owned Tekonsha Prodigy P2 today. I obtained another mounting pocket just like the ones in my other two tow vehicles so I can easily switch the P2 to whichever vehicle I'm currently using.
Hardest part was trying to attach connectors to the Ranger XLT brake control wiring up behind the dashboard, either my old body isn't as flexible as it used to be or vehicles are getting tighter!
I decided the best location for my controller was the space between the two 12 volt outlets. Seems easy to reach and easy to read, and doesn't look too bad either. Mounted the pocket with a stainless steel nut/screw into that panel (I removed the panel to do that and cut off any excess screw to prevent any interference with stuff above the trim panel). Drilled a hole in the panel behind the pocket for the wires, keeping enough slack so I can disconnect the connector when removing the brake controller.
Haven't towed with it yet (still under 1,000 miles) but my Tekonsha 7 pin tester says everything is A-OK.
I really like the looks of the Redarc, and was tempted by the current low price of the Insight ($55 on Amazon), but I already had the P2 so that was an easy choice.

Brake controller 3.jpg

Brake controller 2.jpg

Brake controller 1.jpg

Floyd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I installed my already owned Tekonsha Prodigy P2 today. I obtained another mounting pocket just like the ones in my other two tow vehicles so I can easily switch the P2 to whichever vehicle I'm currently using.
Hardest part was trying to attach connectors to the Ranger XLT brake control wiring up behind the dashboard, either my old body isn't as flexible as it used to be or vehicles are getting tighter!
I decided the best location for my controller was the space between the two 12 volt outlets. Seems easy to reach and easy to read, and doesn't look too bad either. Mounted the pocket with a stainless steel nut/screw into that panel (I removed the panel to do that and cut off any excess screw to prevent any interference with stuff above the trim panel). Drilled a hole in the panel behind the pocket for the wires, keeping enough slack so I can disconnect the connector when removing the brake controller.
Haven't towed with it yet (still under 1,000 miles) but my Tekonsha 7 pin tester says everything is A-OK.
I really like the looks of the Redarc, and was tempted by the current low price of the Insight ($55 on Amazon), but I already had the P2 so that was an easy choice.

Brake controller 3.jpg

Brake controller 2.jpg

Brake controller 1.jpg
I know whatcha mean, I got dizzy twice, sick once, hand cramps three times, frustrated through the whole job and relieved when it was all over!

MTB-BRUH

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Base
Occupation
Shop Manager
Reese Pod, cheap works great and fitted where I wanted it. Some of your guys installs give me anxiety. Tidy those things up a bit lol

39505F9D-52E2-4BF6-8562-BF7438019645.jpeg

Phish806

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
If there was not an actual knockout for that to fit flush with the dash, i think it would look out of place. Like an afterthought that was just added on top of the dash and not INTO the dash.

Floyd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If there was not an actual knockout for that to fit flush with the dash, i think it would look out of place. Like an afterthought that was just added on top of the dash and not INTO the dash.
Take a look at the Dorman link it doesn't have the "ears" and is apparently made for aftermarket application.
Having built a bunch of streetrods I don't think it would be a problem, providing the Forscan would work. (probably not)
Actually I could do an escutcheon for the N-Sight and it would look more "built-in" and very much like the F-150 controller.

Last edited:

Big Blue

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Supercrew lighting blue
Occupation
Retired mechanical designer
Really need to have a separate option in the survey for the Ford/Redac system. Many of us put in the Redarc before Ford came out with its "approved" setup because we needed a brake controller.
Sponsored