Tuning questions

Jason

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT, Lightning Blue, 302a, Technology Package, Sport Appearance Package, Bed liner, Tow package
Occupation
Control Systems Engineer
I am thinking of getting a tune, but I have some questions.

Can you get it tuned so the performace increases are only available while in S mode?

The reason I ask, is that this is my daily driver, I commute 55 miles one way to my office in Denver 2-3 days a week and a few times a year I pull a 19' travel trailer for camping.

So I want the normal wear and tear during that time, maybe some smoothing out of the shifting is fine in normal mode.

But I do go out and goof off with friends sometimes, and I wouldn't mind taking it to a drag strip once in a while to have some fun, and at that point I'd like to have a performance tune.

Is this at all possible or is it whishful thinking?
Sponsored

Andy

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat / 2019 Volvo XC60 T6 Inscription
Not possible to tune just for the driving mode S (currently) since the ECU needs to have tables flashed to make any power gains from boost and timing. Plenty of other auto makers allow for changed power levels based on driving modes but I don’t think our platform has the option to do so.

However, your concerns about wear and tear on the truck can be viewed in two ways.

In my opinion, if you want to get a tune for the track, play time, and towing tune then I would just flash the tune prior to that time.

If you want more power on your daily drive then I’d suggest running an 87 octane daily driving tune that is very mild in its power gains but still improves on shifting. The longevity of the engine is always up for debate and I won’t express an opinion on that since it’s your vehicle and you should be the one to decide what you want.

OP
OP

Jason

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT, Lightning Blue, 302a, Technology Package, Sport Appearance Package, Bed liner, Tow package
Occupation
Control Systems Engineer
Not possible to tune just for the driving mode S (currently) since the ECU needs to have tables flashed to make any power gains from boost and timing. Plenty of other auto makers allow for changed power levels based on driving modes but I don’t think our platform has the option to do so.

However, your concerns about wear and tear on the truck can be viewed in two ways.

In my opinion, if you want to get a tune for the track, play time, and towing tune then I would just flash the tune prior to that time.

If you want more power on your daily drive then I’d suggest running an 87 octane daily driving tune that is very mild in its power gains but still improves on shifting. The longevity of the engine is always up for debate and I won’t express an opinion on that since it’s your vehicle and you should be the one to decide what you want.

I run 91 octane here. I'm not against flashing before I go out to do something, but isn't there a "learning" curve when you flash the truck? It learns your driving habits and adjusts for them and such? Or is this an oild wives' tale I have heard?

Andy

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat / 2019 Volvo XC60 T6 Inscription
I run 91 octane here. I'm not against flashing before I go out to do something, but isn't there a "learning" curve when you flash the truck? It learns your driving habits and adjusts for them and such? Or is this an oild wives' tale I have heard?
There is a fairly short timeline from just flashed to “Learned octane”. Whenever I flash a tune it takes anywhere from 10-30 miles of driving with at least 2-3 key cycles in between. The truck will make power obvious just after flashed and it will go into open loop at wot anyways. After one wot pull the truck usually will add timing until my learned octane value is satisfied to -1.00

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
It learns your driving habits and adjusts for them and such? Or is this an oild wives' tale I have heard?
It's BS. The transmission learns its own internals; there's nothing in the truck that learns how you drive.

Doc

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 HPP Mustang, 2021 Ranger STX,2022 Subaru WRX
Occupation
Retired
My tune from unleashed has extended rpm limits on the sport side.
Regards

Sabasigh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4; 2016 Corvette Stingray
Do tunes have any effect on Terrain Mgmt modes?

txquailguy

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger FX4 Lariat - 2020 Hyundai Kona Ultimate
Occupation
Biologist
Vehicle Showcase
So what’s up with this “sport mode” thing...not seeing that on my Ranger...please enlighten...lol.

Reactions: Doc

Big Blue

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Supercrew lighting blue
Occupation
Retired mechanical designer
So what’s up with this “sport mode” thing...not seeing that on my Ranger...please enlighten...lol.
Just move the shifter one more notch past drive.

sbreech

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
Systems Administrator
I always use 93 octane fuel, almost always from Marathon (I have the app to save me at least 5 cents per gallon). With that said, I also have the 5Star Tune. I ordered 5 different tunes:

87 Octane Daily / Tow
91 Octane Daily / Tow
93 Octane Daily / Tow
87 Performance Tune
93 Performance Tune

My daily driving tune is 91 Octane Daily / Tow. It is a way better tune than the factory tone, and I am averaging 94.3 (calculated) 94.7 (truck computer) mpg. My daily drive is 10 miles, almost all country roads with 1 stop light in between. Prior to the tune, the truck did not accelerate like it does now, and only calculated out 92.2 mpg. SO, after several years, the tune will pay for itself (kidding...it would be a lot of years)

I picked this tune to run just in case I go some place that doesn't have 93 octane fuel. If I ever want to take it to the track or out on some trails, I'll switch to 93 Performance a couple days in advance. I ordered the two 87 tunes to be ready for when we see 5 dollar a gallon prices (for 87 octane) in the future.
Sponsored

Reactions: Doc