Brake controller (does anyone actually have one)

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
I don't trust my smartphone to give me the correct weather, or make sure I get notified properly of new cat videos, I don't think I will trust it to even make an attempt at controlling the brakes on my trailer. I hardwired the P3 in, and magnet mounted it to the handle that you pull to access the fuse panel, it's solid, and after a few months of being there, it has only moved once when I was exiting the truck I whacked it with my knee. It's not easy even hard to move to another truck if I wanted to, I just need the cheap pigtail and the etrailer vid on where to splice the wires.
I think the phone is just the interface for configuring. The sensors and logic are in the device. If you're happy hardwiring a controller, great. Other people might prefer to not bother.
Sponsored

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Fox 2.0, 2011 Ford Edge Sport
I also wonder how the big power wire is getting back to the 7-way as the 10ga wire that carries the braking power from the controller to the back is crimped off under the dash. Do you have to hook it to battery or something? Maybe what is already back there is good for 1-2 axles only, I don't really know how it works.

I assumed it would not need the phone to function, but with my phone luck I'd never get it to connect :)

Aliby

First Name
Alistair
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger SuperCrew Lariat FX4, Tow package, Magnet with Black Sports package
...Unfortunately there's not a lot of room in this cab for a huge brake controller taking up room. I have a Tekonsha Prodigy P3 in my Super Duty and love it, but I can't imagine where I would put that thing in my Ranger cab.
I have the Tekonsha Prodigy P2, but unless I can find a good mounting location I might have to get a Redarc.

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
Has anyone bought one of these and used it? Seems like a great solution.
Search around. I think only one person has tried, and they reported that it didn't work.

DT444T

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Sport 4x4 Lariat - Saber
Occupation
I'm fly. I'm pilot.
To whomever ask, Ford now has a genuine Ford trailer brake controller for the Ranger. I just installed mine, it was kind of a pain in the ass. you have to run the wire from under the dash all the way to the third brake light. And then it comes with a set of connectors to connect in line with the third brake light. And you have to put the pins into the connectors yourself.

Here's a picture of the label for the brake controller.

2020-08-15 15.15.36.jpg

Nick Barber

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat, FX4, White Platinum, Chrome, Tow
Occupation
Program Manager
Vehicle Showcase
To whomever ask, Ford now has a genuine Ford trailer brake controller for the Ranger. I just installed mine, it was kind of a pain in the ass. you have to run the wire from under the dash all the way to the third brake light. And then it comes with a set of connectors to connect in line with the third brake light. And you have to put the pins into the connectors yourself.

Here's a picture of the label for the brake controller.

2020-08-15 15.15.36.jpg
https://accessories.ford.com/module-trailer-brake-12688.html
Sponsored