#fakenews: DIYers Take Note – the 2019 Ford Ranger’s Oil Change Procedure Contains a Big Extra Step

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
Try a disposable diaper. They absorb quite a bit. I use one when changing the oil and removing the horizontally mounted filter on the Miata. Keeps the suspension and frame clean.
That is actually a good idea. I will have to try it on my next oil change.
Sponsored

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Fox 2.0, 2011 Ford Edge Sport
To bring this full circle, I did an oil change last week or so. The flap comes off pretty easy, the little plastic screw clips come out OK, but you have to make sure that the base of the clip doesn't turn, and they will pull right out.

The filter on mine was really tight, so it took a little while to muscle it off. I could only reach it with one hand, so it was slow...

I would recommend putting an oil catch pan under it and letting the bulk of the oil go there before moving to the drain bolt. Definitely put a diaper or some other can under the funnel piece as it continued to drip for a while after the filter was removed. The Fumoto 107N does not fit, I have ordered the extension from Fumoto to see if it will fit after that so that I don't have to pull the skid plate anymore.

As for the Honda thing, I had a Focus ST with which I acquired a set of Race Ramps which are long and skinny ramps that low cars can drive on. I would say they are safer than jack stands for doing oil changes under low cars. I even use them with my wife's Edge as its kind of tight under there as well.

THLONE

First Name
Thom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68 Chev C-20, 2019 Ford Ranger XL 4X4
Occupation
internet wise guy
Vehicle Showcase
My dealer gave me oil changes for life so I wont have to do it. Do you wear the diaper when you change oil? LOL

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My dealer gave me oil changes for life so I wont have to do it. Do you wear the diaper when you change oil? LOL
I'm going to start wearing one :)

I quit letting the dealers touch my car (even for free) when I started finding missing pieces, and drove for 2000 miles with 4 quarts of 5w20 in a car that takes 5.7qts of 5W30 in the dead heat of summer... Not too many dealer choices in the middle of nowhere where I live.

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
As for the Honda thing, I had a Focus ST with which I acquired a set of Race Ramps which are long and skinny ramps that low cars can drive on. I would say they are safer than jack stands for doing oil changes under low cars. I even use them with my wife's Edge as its kind of tight under there as well.
Yeah, I borrowed some ramps like that from my son for the last oil change, and those were nice. Much better than dealing with jacks and jackstands. It is nice with the truck - you don't have to worry about any of that! Just slide under the truck!

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I found mine new in the box in the garbage, no joke. It was one of my best garbage picks :) they are something like $350 if you buy them new.