Regular vs premium anyone else notice huge difference?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CoastieN70

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariet
Occupation
Retired
Ok, I just read this entire thread, only because I was referenced in it and I will now weigh in.
The Ford Ranger 2.3L Ecoboost engine runs fine on 87 octane gasoline because it has a GREAT computer that in 90% of all driving applications makes it do so, ain't modern technology great!
That same engine with that same computer runs better on 89 octane fuel and even better still on 91-93 octane fuel in ALL driving conditions.
FYI the manual references 91 specifically because 93 isn't available everywhere for some reason I am not privy to but I suspect altitude and other factors come into play.
I have chosen to install a LIVERNOIS tune on my ranger and because of that I run Top Tier 93 octane fuel (91 when 93 isn't available.)
Does the tune make a difference in performance? Damn Skippy it does! I chose to install the tune because I like POWER and the tune provides that. This power is NOT imaginary, it's for real. It's not inexpensive, but it achieves its goal of more power cheaper than a lot of really expensive performance parts. But I digress.
The main thing I take away from this thread is most of y'all are passionate about your opinions and I respect the hell out of that AND one or two of y'all LOVE to "stir the pot."
Now I've been known to be passionate when I think I am right but I know when it's time to rest on my last post so as not to look like a "shit stirrer."
OUT
Sponsored

ch47dmechanic

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT Sport 4X4
You're not serious are you? The stock truck on 87 with 15 percent drive train loss makes around 230-235 to the wheels. The thread you posted totally discredits you lol. They're showing 3 runs on 91 ALL making over 250hp. Did you bother to read the post from Livernoise Motorsports?
Apparently I did. I’d be very interested in putting my own onto rollers with 91. I’d rather see it for myself in person with my own truck, honestly. I realize people can post dyno charts from all over the place, even trusted sources, but seeing a predictable 15-20 horsepower increase just by using 91? I’m extremely skeptical. I understand engines are all tested by manufacturers to the same standards prescribed by the industry, but I strongly suspect that dyno runs done by independent third parties are not. I’ve ran both octanes for my own tests and saw no definitive increase in mileage and no discernible increase in perceived power output. Day-to-day performance felt the same. I strongly believe if we all could get the kinds of increases just from using 91 as Livernoise proclaims as possible, it’d be far more wide spread knowledge to do so. The data from the learned people of this forum don’t seem to confirm it conclusively. You can say what you want about me, and it’s clear some here will :rolleyes:, but there still isn’t a hard confirmation on this amazing increase that only requires you to use higher octane fuel.

Doc

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 HPP Mustang, 2021 Ranger STX,2022 Subaru WRX
Occupation
Retired
Apparently I did. I’d be very interested in putting my own onto rollers with 91. I’d rather see it for myself in person with my own truck, honestly. I realize people can post dyno charts from all over the place, even trusted sources, but seeing a predictable 15-20 horsepower increase just by using 91? I’m extremely skeptical. I understand engines are all tested by manufacturers to the same standards prescribed by the industry, but I strongly suspect that dyno runs done by independent third parties are not. I’ve ran both octanes for my own tests and saw no definitive increase in mileage and no discernible increase in perceived power output. Day-to-day performance felt the same. I strongly believe if we all could get the kinds of increases just from using 91 as Livernoise proclaims as possible, it’d be far more wide spread knowledge to do so. The data from the learned people of this forum don’t seem to confirm it conclusively. You can say what you want about me, and it’s clear some here will :rolleyes:, but there still isn’t a hard confirmation on this amazing increase that only requires you to use higher octane fuel.
6D443936-3104-4BAE-A9E1-191836D76BF4.jpeg
just a tune on 93..
Regards
Doc

Last edited:

ch47dmechanic

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT Sport 4X4
6D443936-3104-4BAE-A9E1-191836D76BF4.jpeg
jut a tune on 93..
Regards
Doc
Like I just said, we can all post dyno charts for days but almost none of them actually identify the test protocols nor do they identify the fuel being used among other data that could be used to from conclusions. I’m confident that any modern forced-induction engine can be tuned easily to increase output. What I don’t subscribe easily to is the ideal that 91 octane fuel by itself automatically unlocks a dramatic power increase.

Reactions: Doc

Dokkenmire

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Xlt Sport Supercrew 2wd
Its been confirmed for years...
These dyno charts are from companies that have been tuning the Mustangs, F150's, the Focus and Explorer Ecoboosts for years. The 2.3 in the Ranger in NOT a new engine, they didn't waste the money to design a new engine for an old truck. They did the same thing to the engine they did to the chassis, tweaked it for the American mid sized truck market. You can't honestly believe that you're right and Fords engineers and the entire aftermarket tuning community for these things is wrong? For God's sake a simple search brings up a car and driver story where an F150 lost almost 2lbs of boost and a half second in the quarter mile switching from 93 to 87. You believe what you want but I have yet to find a single case of any ecoboost not making more power on premium higher octane fuel. I've spent hours and hours reading and scouring forums and videos. I'm not spending $ on a tune while I'm still under warranty if I can get a little more power from a simple fill up.

https://www.caranddriver.com/features/a28565486/honda-cr-v-vs-bmw-m5-ford-f-150-dodge-charger/

Last edited:

Doc

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 HPP Mustang, 2021 Ranger STX,2022 Subaru WRX
Occupation
Retired
Like I just said, we can all post dyno charts for days but almost none of them actually identify the test protocols nor do they identify the fuel being used among other data that could be used to from conclusions. I’m confident that any modern forced-induction engine can be tuned easily to increase output. What I don’t subscribe easily to is the ideal that 91 octane fuel by itself automatically unlocks a dramatic power increase.
Agreed,
AC-130 + UH-1H
Regards
( by the way we lifted a wrecked c130 off the tarmac a at Cam Ranh Bay RVN in 1969 with a Chinook and a Sikorsky flying crane , piece by piece. Also in jungle school they used a ch47 for doing jungle penetrator extractions.)

Last edited:

Indy650

First Name
john
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
5 Star Tuning also had good results with 93 oct in a stock Ranger. You have to understand these companies thrive on showing low hp numbers with stock tunes because they make their money by showing how much power their tunes make. These dynos with high octane stock tunes do nothing for their business or sales pitch they are sharing it because they are engine lovers and were surprised at the results. Second, all engines are different some benefit from 93 and some don't. This engine being forced induction happens to love 93 octane. If you took an old stock 351W and tried 93 octane vs 87 you probably wouldn't see a difference. A dual overhead cam forced induction engine with 10:1 compression ratio(which is a high ratio for a forced induction engine) is going to run better on 93 than 87. If you understand engines you know this to be 100% FACT.

Andy

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat / 2019 Volvo XC60 T6 Inscription
I run an e50 blend. Stuff is cheap and I make more power. I don't care about mpg so dont bring it up... hah.

Andy

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat / 2019 Volvo XC60 T6 Inscription
I think we can condense these cute jabs and opinions into a pretty simple statement.

Here goes,

Gasoline varies in energy density from one refinery to the other. It’s just the nature of sucking dead dinosaurs out of the ground and using them to haul groceries. The takeaway from all of this threads previously posted fun stuff is this... an ECU can and will adapt to variables in fuel to make the most power given what is available in its environment.

91 octane in one town could provide the same power as 87 in another because of variables in the fuel itself. Just run whatever makes you happy..

Onlyone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4, 2019 Jeep Rubicon on 37's
an ECU can and will adapt to variables in fuel to make the most power given what is available in its environment.
This is truth. The rest is fluff.

Top tier gas will not fluctuate octane ratings. Your stock ecoboost will run at its best on 91-93 octane. Period.

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
I'm locking this thread as it has just devolved into back and forth - no ones mind is going to be changed and nothing of substance has been posted recently, just rehashing the same arguments.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.