Greatlakespilot

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 ranger lariat 4x4
Vehicle Showcase
I posted recently in another thread about how the leather in my two bucket seats in my 2020 Lariat Crew Cab is getting loose after only having the truck a few days and at less than 60 miles. I am interested in how the leather in other trucks is holding up. I hoping some of you will post here so I can get a good feel as to how widespread this is. I am attaching a few pictures of the seats in my new truck. I appreciate any feedback you all can give me. Thanks!

DSC02619.jpeg

DSC02623.jpeg

DSC02624.jpeg
Mine look exactly the same. Mine have looked like that since the day I picked it up. Build 2/19. I have been waiting for 3 weeks for a FordPass modem, so when it comes in I’ll be addressing this issue and showing them this thread. Thanks for the follow up with Ford.
Sponsored

OP
OP

rdgallo

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat Crew Cab 4X4
Occupation
Retired Caterpillar, Inc. Senior Quality Engineer
Hi Nick and others,

Drat...my former Vehicle Engineering engineer that moved to Seat Comford just retired, so mi inside contact to seating is now happily retired and unavailable to provide any info on Ranger....

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired
That is too bad for us, but great for him. Phil, I was doing some digging on the internet and found that the problem has existed since aoubt 2015. At least that is what the folks over on a F150 forum say. I had a 2013 F150 SuperCrew that I bought new and then sold when I ordered this truck and the seats on it still looked new at 64,000 miles and about 7 years old. Something sure changed. Maybe the bean counters found some cheaper leather somewhere.

Last edited:

RangerJosh

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT 4x4
I hate leather interior for this exact reason. The creases and wrinkles on the drivers side seat padding over time is really ugly.

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
I hate leather interior for this exact reason. The creases and wrinkles on the drivers side seat padding over time is really ugly.
I prefer the leather because it is very easy to clean - my cloth seats in my last Ranger got dirty easily and were difficult to clean well. My new Ranger I've had lots of stuff get on the seats and it just wipes off - I even accidentally got paint on my console lid (it was on my arm) and I was able to remove it relatively easily. I don't feel like I have to baby the seats. The only thing I've done is to put down a blanket in the back seat just to make sure the dogs claws don't poke a hole in the seat. The back seat is kind of his area unless I'm taking passengers. :giggle:

Montana Ranger

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
2000 miles and ours look like new. But will be paying attention to this. Yeah, after 60 miles I'd consider than unacceptable.

My response to your dealer would be: Would you want people considering buying the premium level Ranger to see this?

SRAces

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2015 Mercedes-Benz GLA, 2004 Mercedes-Benz SLK 230 Special Edition
Occupation
USAF (retired)
Vehicle Showcase
13,000 miles and mine still looks like new. Guess I got lucky!

OP
OP

rdgallo

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat Crew Cab 4X4
Occupation
Retired Caterpillar, Inc. Senior Quality Engineer
2000 miles and ours look like new. But will be paying attention to this. Yeah, after 60 miles I'd consider than unacceptable.

My response to your dealer would be: Would you want people considering buying the premium level Ranger to see this?
Ford Customer Care has talked with my dealer's service manager and has approved replacing both driver's and passenger's seat covers. My dealer has the replacement covers ordered. I will post the results once my dealer gets them installed.

Robert Scott

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford, Ranger Supercrew Lariat
Occupation
Aerospace Engineer, retired
Very interesting: I had a 2019 Ranger that was repurchased (lemon) due to major electronic problems. The 2019 with good seats went back July 31st., I ordered 2020 the same day. It came in on Dec 16th. The seats in the 2020 are CRAP. I took this photo to show the headrests had been changed, no pivot and larger, but look at the leather. The dealership has ordered a new complete set of seats. New truck, $44,401, 60 miles: shame on you Ford for very poor Quality Control.
008.JPG

NAndrews33

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Vehicle Showcase
Very interesting: I had a 2019 Ranger that was repurchased (lemon) due to major electronic problems. The 2019 with good seats went back July 31st., I ordered 2020 the same day. It came in on Dec 16th. The seats in the 2020 are CRAP. I took this photo to show the headrests had been changed, no pivot and larger, but look at the leather. The dealership has ordered a new complete set of seats. New truck, $44,401, 60 miles: shame on you Ford for very poor Quality Control.
008.JPG
Just when you get back in a Ranger you now have to deal with the seats. I'm would be worried about the replacements and how they are being made. There's something during production causing the poor quality of seats. I'd like my drivers seat to get looked at but I'm afraid to see the replacements. I can live with a slight bubble in the drivers back portion of the seat. For now....

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
008.JPG
I'm glad you're getting new seats but it's beyond me how these could even get through quality control in the first place :question:

RONR11

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranget
How could they NOTsee this. When I got my Ranger on July I was excited to own a new version of the reliable Ranger as many of my friends have well over 200000+ and still going strong, I’m starting to think I may have made a bad choice

NAndrews33

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Vehicle Showcase
How could they NOTsee this. When I got my Ranger on July I was excited to own a new version of the reliable Ranger as many of my friends have well over 200000+ and still going strong, I’m starting to think I may have made a bad choice
I've had mine since March and I couldn't be any happier with my purchase. I had a 2006 Ranger before and grew up with Rangers my entire life. This 5G is by far my favorite and still brings a smile to my face everyday.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee

I wouldn't worry to much about it. I'm assuming Ford contracted these out to a different vendor for the 2020's and that's why there's a problem now. Hopefully they fix this quickly but I do question who ever is in charge of QC!

llm.flyfisher

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Range crew cab XLT
I got Katzkin installed in my XLT, from looking at this, very glad I went that way. The Katzkin leather appears to be of a far higher quality than the leather pictured here. My gosh, that looks horrible. If this is the best Ford can do, they better step up the game because the competition is not resting on its laurels. Wow.

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
I got Katzkin installed in my XLT, from looking at this, very glad I went that way. The Katzkin leather appears to be of a far higher quality than the leather pictured here. My gosh, that looks horrible. If this is the best Ford can do, they better step up the game because the competition is not resting on its laurels. Wow.
Did you post a photo of your katzkin's and I missed it? I would love to see what they look like.
Sponsored