Regular vs premium anyone else notice huge difference?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ch47dmechanic

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT Sport 4X4
Warmer temperatures and towing heavy loads, yes. I run 87 nearly year round save for the hottest time in the summer and when I’m pulling a trailer a long distance. Otherwise, it’s just 87 AKA regular. No difference in mileage though.
Sponsored

Dokkenmire

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Xlt Sport Supercrew 2wd
The placebo effect is a powerful thing
Higher octane has long been known to have an effect on the entire ecoboost lineup. It won't increase fuel economy by any worthwhile margin usually but the power gains are dyno proven across the board.

Last edited:

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
Higher octane has long been known to have an effect on the entire ecoboost lineup. It won't increase fuel economy by any worthwhile margin usually but the power gains are dyno proven across the board.
Well if a dyno shows a measurable difference that's certainly the very same thing as a dramatic night and day difference the first time you spend more to fill your tank, isn't it?

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
I was considering running 91 when I pulled that UHaul several months ago, but ended up just using 87 and it ran GREAT. I'm too cheap (I guess) to run 91 all the time. It is considerably more expensive here.

forceofnature

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger XLT with RC 6" Lift
The only options here are 87, 89, 93 so far. I think Shell has more options but do not have a shell station close by. I have only run 87, and 89 with no difference felt or gains in fuel economy.

MTB-BRUH

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Base
Occupation
Shop Manager
I don’t understand why you would buy a $30k+ truck that’s pretty high performance (270hp from a 4 banger.. common) and not spend what.. $3-$5 or so more a fill up for better fuel... I like the piece of mind.

Dokkenmire

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Well if a dyno shows a measurable difference that's certainly the very same thing as a dramatic night and day difference the first time you spend more to fill your tank, isn't it?
$5-$10 knocks a few tenths off the quarter mile and helps it pull harder in hotter temps. Not night and day but not insignificant.

THLONE

First Name
Thom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68 Chev C-20, 2019 Ford Ranger XL 4X4
Occupation
internet wise guy
Vehicle Showcase

joeb427

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Fort Mill/Indian Land area South Carolina
Vehicle(s)
'19 Lariat Sport and 19 Lincoln MKC Reserve
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
You can use what you want but I like running at the engine at its optimum level.

Pg 137 of the manual.

For best overall vehicle and engine performance, premium fuel with an octane rating of 91 or higher is recommended. The performance gained by using premium fuel is most noticeable in hot weather as well as other conditions, for example when towing a trailer

Last edited:

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
$5-$10 knocks a few tenths off the quarter mile and helps it pull harder in hotter temps. Not night and day but not insignificant.
I've used both, there isn't a noticable difference in normal driving. I suppose those seeing dramatic differences may be drag racing, but more likely they're seeing what they want to see. And around here the premium is closer to twenty bucks a tank, which is more than I care to spend for no reason.

shred5

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
This video talks a little about premium gas.. Say make a little difference but not much.
The whole video is pretty good.

Dokkenmire

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I've used both, there isn't a noticable difference in normal driving. I suppose those seeing dramatic differences may be drag racing, but more likely they're seeing what they want to see. And around here the premium is closer to twenty bucks a tank, which is more than I care to spend for no reason.
Some of us like to have fun. Some of us do our research. And then there's you...
Ford's factory power ratings at the crank are based on 87 octane. All the aftermarket tuners run baseline 93 octane runs and achieve close to the stock crank numbers at the wheels...

ausable

First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2018 F-150
Vehicle Showcase
I don’t understand why you would buy a $30k+ truck that’s pretty high performance (270hp from a 4 banger.. common) and not spend what.. $3-$5 or so more a fill up for better fuel... I like the piece of mind.
If the difference was only "$3-$5" it would be tempting. Alas, it is not. The difference on a full tank here is $15 which is almost a grand a year. That's not chump change for us anyhow.

95% of our driving is grocery getting, going here and there and such. No stress and no need for peak performance.

rojizostang

First Name
Rusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger xlt 4x4 sport, 2017 Ford Explorer limited, 2013 Ford F150 RCSB Roush tvs supercharged
Some of us like to have fun. Some of us do our research. And then there's you...
Ford's factory power ratings at the crank are based on 87 octane. All the aftermarket tuners run baseline 93 octane runs and achieve close to the stock crank numbers at the wheels...
That's a pretty significant reason to run fuel with a higher octane rating than the stated minimum to me. The cost around here though is about .60 per gallon for 93 over 87 octane, some stations up to .70. That's almost $11 per 18 gallons of gas. That's not insignificant either however, for those who like or need to pinch pennies.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.