HoosierT's Lightning Blue Ranger Build

Doubleu

First Name
Buddy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 ranger, 2014 superduty
Time to paint parking sensors black to match the new bumper.

F4B60E50-1668-4BE0-8B05-D8229B977354.jpeg

Just looked at your build. Very nice attention to detail, It's a sharp rig

I see you went with the synthetic winch line.. I had to chuckle to myself, I wanted the synthetic line as well but when I thought about how I would be using my winch and knowing the kind of person I am.. I opted for the steel..
Looking at your photos, I think that's a testament to the difference between us.. You appear to take your time and pay attention to the details and make sure it's done right and careful and looks good.. Me, I'm the type that just improvises, and figures it out as I go. I figured a steel cable is more forgiving for the abuse a guy like me will run it through. Take care!
Sponsored

OP
OP
HoosierT

HoosierT

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘19 Ranger Lariat FX4, '17 Explorer Sport
Just looked at your build. Very nice attention to detail, It's a sharp rig

I see you went with the synthetic winch line.. I had to chuckle to myself, I wanted the synthetic line as well but when I thought about how I would be using my winch and knowing the kind of person I am.. I opted for the steel..
Looking at your photos, I think that's a testament to the difference between us.. You appear to take your time and pay attention to the details and make sure it's done right and careful and looks good.. Me, I'm the type that just improvises, and figures it out as I go. I figured a steel cable is more forgiving for the abuse a guy like me will run it through. Take care!
Thanks for the kinds words! I started my career as a software engineer so I can be a bit overly-meticulous. But detailed stuff is what makes me tic. Can’t wait to see more on your build. You started it out with a very nice bumper, but I might be biased. :)

OP
OP
HoosierT

HoosierT

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
What type of paint are you using? Will the paint choice affect the sensor at all? I'm drawing up my front bumper plans now and want to include the sensors, which I want to paint black also.
I used krylon fusion satin black. I sanded as much of the original paint off as I could. Two light coats of it and they turned out great and function normally.
40F7E8AB-8C31-4117-9A73-68052D3B24A1.jpeg

BHunted

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat, 2019 Ford Mustang
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Got the Fab Fours ACC relocation put on. Works great so far. Also got my trigger switches mounted finally.
43E6EA9B-8DF6-4621-8ECF-26B5F85F421D.jpeg
My first set of switches constantly malfunctioned. Sent them back for a new set. Don't like leaving things in the sun so modified the tray and mounted it flat in front of the shifter and tray. They offer a flat tray also after I busted their chops about the jeep roll bar attaching and not catering to the rest of the market.
Nice truck! Nice work!

OP
OP
HoosierT

HoosierT

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My first set of switches constantly malfunctioned. Sent them back for a new set. Don't like leaving things in the sun so modified the tray and mounted it flat in front of the shifter and tray. They offer a flat tray also after I busted their chops about the jeep roll bar attaching and not catering to the rest of the market.
Nice truck! Nice work!
Oh that’s good to know. I’ll hit them up. Agreed, no clue why they send the roll bar base with the universal trigger models. If we had jeeps we’d order the Jeep kit.

BHunted

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Oh that’s good to know. I’ll hit them up. Agreed, no clue why they send the roll bar base with the universal trigger models. If we had jeeps we’d order the Jeep kit.
I asked them.... Because they are a small company and Jeep was their first investment. I said, "Fine, but if you want to be a big company someday, expand your web site so it looks like you support all vehicles"....

BHunted

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
BTW, you can carefully pry off the rounded base they give you and grind down the screw posts. Also a wasted effort on their part. The metal plate does not need to be screwed in. Simple silicone or a glue is all it needed. If you do that, be careful. The top tray piece is wimpy. But you really need the rim to hold the switches in place. Fill up the bottom with epoxy.

Charley

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SuperCrew XLT FX4 Magnetic
Vehicle Showcase
Been following your build and Rockweiller. Very impressive and as others have mentioned, great attention to detail

Couple of questions.
1 How is the ride now that your have the extra weight of the bumper & winch?
(knowing that you said the ride improved with the ICON 2 and add a leaf installed)
2. Did the front end lower any with the addition of the bumper & winch?
3. Are the holes in place for the parking and adaptive cruise sensors on the bumper?
Warn mentions possible interference with driver assist software.

I am basically planning a similar Overland style build, to use to explore the Trans-America Trail
and as I usually do , I overbuild and over prepare.

thanks for taking the time to share your build

OP
OP
HoosierT

HoosierT

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Been following your build and Rockweiller. Very impressive and as others have mentioned, great attention to detail

Couple of questions.
1 How is the ride now that your have the extra weight of the bumper & winch?
(knowing that you said the ride improved with the ICON 2 and add a leaf installed)
2. Did the front end lower any with the addition of the bumper & winch?
3. Are the holes in place for the parking and adaptive cruise sensors on the bumper?
Warn mentions possible interference with driver assist software.

I am basically planning a similar Overland style build, to use to explore the Trans-America Trail
and as I usually do , I overbuild and over prepare.

thanks for taking the time to share your build
Thanks for the kind words!
So yes, the ride changed a tad with the bumper and winch. The front end felt a tad bouncier. With that, I did also lose around 3/8” on the front height. At that point, the coilovers were set at 2.5” of lift (with stock bumper of course). I spoke to Icon and they said that the extra weight on the front end would help negate any reduction in ride quality by adjusting the coilovers beyond 2.5” and moving closer to the max 3.5” they allow. As such, I adjusted the coilovers another 1/2”, or four full turns on the collars. Without the extra weight on the front end, ride quality would’ve suffered when going up more than 2.5” but Icon was absolutely right, adding another 1/2” with the extra weight on the front returned the ride quality, less bounce in the front end, and got me back up to the original height. In the end, the ride now feels just like it did before the bumper and winch were installed.

On the sensors, the mounting points are there for the parking sensors. It seems another member has found that a roller fairlead causes sensor interference but my hawse fairlead doesn’t cause any interference and they function perfectly just as stock.

There is not a place to mount the Adaptive Cruise sensor on this bumper. I purchased the bracket from Fab Fours for $99 and loved it up to the grill. It has worked great so far in that location and the bracket does allow tilt adjustment to the sensor.

I hope that helps! Hit me up with any other questions you come up with, I’m glad to help.

Andy

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat / 2019 Volvo XC60 T6 Inscription
Hey! Do you think a 285/75 will fit with the 3" lift? The diameter of your tires are 32.8 and id like to go to a 33.9" K02. Does it look like you could squeeze another inch in there without any contact?

Thanks!

OP
OP
HoosierT

HoosierT

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hey! Do you think a 285/75 will fit with the 3" lift? The diameter of your tires are 32.8 and id like to go to a 33.9" K02. Does it look like you could squeeze another inch in there without any contact?

Thanks!
I’d love say yes, but at my current lift, there’s for sure not enough room for another 1” without trimming wheel liners.

Andy

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat / 2019 Volvo XC60 T6 Inscription
I’d love say yes, but at my current lift, there’s for sure not enough room for another 1” without trimming wheel liners.
Do you have a guess on your lift height? Or better yet a measurement from ground to fender height.
Sponsored