8492 - 2019 Ranger - Trailer Brake Controller Availability

JonB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
I believe that Ford has not come up with a "factory" button. The controller is theirs, though as we all know that could just mean they appropriated a third-party's controller for their own. We'll have to see. More info as I dig it out.
Sponsored

ausable

First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2018 F-150
Vehicle Showcase
I'm curious whether that's the prescribed location or if the installer just got creative.
That panel (obviously) opens for the fuse area, using that pull indentation and the distance to the four wires for after-fit brake controller is only a few inches away, coming through the firewall right behind that panel, above the driver's left foot rest. Easy to find as they're taped up with blue tape and capped with shrink tube. That location is merely simplest, easiest, shortest-distance-between-two-points place to mount the button. I installed my controller just to the right of the indented pull. Personal choice of ergonomics.

Installing the RedArc button in the center console involves more shop time and is fussier and thus more costly in labor.

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
That panel (obviously) opens for the fuse area, using that pull indentation and the distance to the four wires for after-fit brake controller is only a few inches away, coming through the firewall right behind that panel, above the driver's left foot rest. Easy to find as they're taped up with blue tape and capped with shrink tube. That location is merely simplest, easiest, shortest-distance-between-two-points place to mount the button. I installed my controller just to the right of the indented pull. Personal choice of ergonomics.

Installing the RedArc button in the center console involves more shop time and is fussier and thus more costly in labor.
Pre-launch pictures from Ford had the redarc on the center console, and I personally thought it looked a lot cleaner. Install time from a dealership for something like this tends to be flat rate. Hence my curiosity if the directions from Ford say to put it on the fuse box, or if the installer is taking a short cut. If I were to pay dealer rates for the install I'd want the best possible appearance and wouldn't want to see shortcuts. (Whereas if Ford actually says to put it on the fuse box I guess that's just the way it is now.)

Jerry Caldwell

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Retired Architect
Pre-launch pictures from Ford had the redarc on the center console, and I personally thought it looked a lot cleaner. Install time from a dealership for something like this tends to be flat rate. Hence my curiosity if the directions from Ford say to put it on the fuse box, or if the installer is taking a short cut. If I were to pay dealer rates for the install I'd want the best possible appearance and wouldn't want to see shortcuts. (Whereas if Ford actually says to put it on the fuse box I guess that's just the way it is now.)
Placed my Redarc on the console. It is super easy to adjust and you can see the LED to make sure it is active.

6090A4F4-EE07-4016-A349-3631CE40A984.jpeg

MT19RANGER

First Name
JERRY
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Oilfield Service Company Area Supervisor
Vehicle Showcase
Factory/Ford/OEM brake controller installed by the dealer in my 2019 XLT. Part #VKB3Z2C006A. Don't have the trailer yet -- gotta save up some more nickels. And while I'm sure the after-market controllers are OK, I decided to go the factory route. Each to his own.

IMG_3565.jpg
https://www.ranger5g.com/forum/thre...ontroller-availability.3562/page-7#post-78912
Look'n like the Redarc To-Pro Elite as shown in the SEMA post and also the same unit those of us that have bought and installed in the Redarc thread
https://www.ranger5g.com/forum/threads/redarc-tow-pro-elite-install.1924/

Montana Ranger

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
This could just be Ford marketing, but I decided to err on the side of safety.
Another consideration is at at some point in the future when some aspect of the electronics that run the truck irredeemably clusters, Ford can't come back at you and void your warranty because you modified the electrical system.

Ray Miller

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 , 2020 Indian Roadmaster Elite
Occupation
Truck Driver
Vehicle Showcase
I just received mine, the instructions to install do not use all of the pre-wires, just the Blue & Yellow. This interesting thing is that you have to run and tap into the high mount brake lamp. The set up uses a separate electronic box in use after the Redarc control box.

IMG_20191227_120351201.jpg

IMG_20191227_120411832.jpg

IMG_20191227_120446735.jpg

IMG_20191227_120456497.jpg

IMG_20191227_120520395.jpg

Three Ponies

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT, 2000 Mustang GT convertible, 1973 Restomodded Mustang Convertible, 1962 Thunderbird

Ray Miller

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Truck Driver
Vehicle Showcase
4F067746-FC6C-420B-A79D-363727437819.jpeg
Me too.... I used it today for the first time to pull a 60 Corvette and had no issues seeing or adjusting the controller.
Did you have a tow screen come up in the display? When you connect, does it turn off the start/stop, Lane assist and adaptive cruise? I'm waiting for better weather to install mine.

Three Ponies

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT, 2000 Mustang GT convertible, 1973 Restomodded Mustang Convertible, 1962 Thunderbird
Did you have a tow screen come up in the display? When you connect, does it turn off the start/stop, Lane assist and adaptive cruise? I'm waiting for better weather to install mine.
It initially displayed that a trailer was connected. I hit ok, then followed the owners manual. Trailer is less than 8’2, less than 33 feet (ok boys and girls, fess up. WHO IS PULLING A 34’ TRAILER?!?!?!!!!!). I already had lane keeping shut off and the park aid as well. I did use the tow/trailer mode and hit the up arrow in “D” to see what gear it was using.

Good thing you didn’t install your controller yet. Those are some funky instructions. I like most others here mounted the Redarc, ran the four colored wires over to the driver kick panel, found the 4 wires taped off with blue painters tape and was done (except for mounting the controller- I took the easy way by mounting the box under the steering column and the controller where the pull is for the under dash cover. Done in45 minutes, including making up a loom with plastic conduit and zip ties. Hate to say it but those sound overly complex.

shelbygt350

First Name
Robert wolfe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 ranger
I believe that Ford has not come up with a "factory" button. The controller is theirs, though as we all know that could just mean they appropriated a third-party's controller for their own. We'll have to see. More info as I dig it out.

shelbygt350

First Name
Robert wolfe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 ranger
I was on ford acc site ford has a kit for the brake control It says its for the ranger you have to order it on line I took part #VKB3Z-2C006-A it asked you for what dealer you want to use I looked at a ton of dealers . the price I got was 573.00 when I typed in my local dealer was 305.00 so I ordered it to be shipped to dealer saved shipping 105.00 for ford to put it if I use them

Ray Miller

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Truck Driver
Vehicle Showcase
I was on ford acc site ford has a kit for the brake control It says its for the ranger you have to order it on line I took part #VKB3Z-2C006-A it asked you for what dealer you want to use I looked at a ton of dealers . the price I got was 573.00 when I typed in my local dealer was 305.00 so I ordered it to be shipped to dealer saved shipping 105.00 for ford to put it if I use them
Same here, then too, my dealership said that if my truck came with the tow package, that FORD should be covering the cost to install this. Waiting to hear back for confirmation.

gbritt89

First Name
Garret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger STX
Vehicle Showcase
Seems there are a few ford techs lurking these forums as well. Wonder if any of them could chime in what exactly would be needed to put the factory TBC into an XL without tow package, (pigtails under dash non existent). Any help would be greatly appreciated.

shelbygt350

First Name
Robert wolfe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 ranger
Same here, then too, my dealership said that if my truck came with the tow package, that FORD should be covering the cost to install this. Waiting to hear back for confirmation.
Ray what dealership are you working with since you are pretty close to me and if ford pays for yours, I could get West Hills to pay for mind to. my email [email protected] . I also see we have the same color of truck.
Sponsored