First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Fox 2.0, 2011 Ford Edge Sport
Screenshot_20191121-180550.png
Found this today, more than listed at SEMA
That’s roughly the quote I got in February before the dealers figured out there wasn’t one for the ranger yet.
Sponsored

Three Ponies

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT, 2000 Mustang GT convertible, 1973 Restomodded Mustang Convertible, 1962 Thunderbird
On Black Friday I bought an XLT with package 302A and the 7500 tow rating, sight unseen as the dealer (whom family has bought numerous Fords from...) had to get it from another dealer 50 miles away. Traded my F150 with the integrated brake controller and was disappointed when I took delivery with no controller on the Ranger. Then I went completely to the stupid side. The service department was going to do me a favor, quoting me $399 to install the "factory" controller. Sign me up! Dropped the truck off early one day only to get a call at noon that the parts were unavailable and no ETA on when they would be available. I live 25 miles away from the dealer- not convenient and a bit infuriating as they had 5 days to tell me the parts were not available before I dropped it off. Then I found this site and saw the posts on the Redarc. Ordered one last Tuesday, received it on Friday from Etrailer. Installed it in 1 hour, 10 minutes on Saturday. It works perfect! What a clean and straightforward install!

Now I have a moral dilemma. Do I tell this large dealership where to source the Redarc controller for their other customers, or offer any of you out there in southeast PA that I'll put one of these on your Ranger for $100 (plus parts)?

(Please support my beer fund)

ausable

First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2018 F-150
Vehicle Showcase
Ever since Ford, GM and Dodge incorporated the brake controller in the dash, it has become an optional item that is perceived to be an expected offering these days. Those of us who've owned trucks for a long time remember when no truck came with an in-dash controller. Everyone had to get a Reese or whatever, and install it. My very recent Tacoma didn't have one, I don't believe Frontier has one either and lots of larger SUV's, with substantial towing capacities, don't offer one either. Did Ford screw up the launch by sending it out without one ready to install?

Absolutely, but the wiring is there and there are 100's, likely 1000's of 2019 Ranger owners already towing with a Reese, Tekonsha, Red Arc or other brake controller. We're doing just fine, thank you. A solid controller can be had for well under $100 and for just a few dollars more, a top notch Tekonsha, or spring for a Red Arc if you wish and still save hundreds over the vapor-ware Ford offering now rumored to finally appear.

Three Ponies

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT, 2000 Mustang GT convertible, 1973 Restomodded Mustang Convertible, 1962 Thunderbird
Ever since Ford, GM and Dodge incorporated the brake controller in the dash, it has become an optional item that is perceived to be an expected offering these days. Those of us who've owned trucks for a long time remember when no truck came with an in-dash controller. Everyone had to get a Reese or whatever, and install it. My very recent Tacoma didn't have one, I don't believe Frontier has one either and lots of larger SUV's, with substantial towing capacities, don't offer one either. Did Ford screw up the launch by sending it out without one ready to install?

Absolutely, but the wiring is there and there are 100's, likely 1000's of 2019 Ranger owners already towing with a Reese, Tekonsha, Red Arc or other brake controller. We're doing just fine, thank you. A solid controller can be had for well under $100 and for just a few dollars more, a top notch Tekonsha, or spring for a Red Arc if you wish and still save hundreds over the vapor-ware Ford offering now rumored to finally appear.

I agree. I installed a Reese on my 92, 95 and 2001 F150's. Was spoiled rotten when my 2010 had it integrated in the dash, nice and clean. Made life easy with the info in the instrument display. I took a leap of faith going from a 5.4 to a 2.3L, but based on the way my son's F150 2.7 EB and my wife's Escape EB perform, I thought I was buying a solid package. I did, except for the brake controller. Vapor ware indeed. Seeing "Ford of Other Countries" advertised this, I thought it was part of the package. They at least could have served their dealers better by telling them where to source the kit. Funny, they do that with Mustang parts for Roush and Shelby. Been there.

dmeyer302

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Escape, 2016 Odyssey
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
@Three Ponies I and several others have towed many miles with the Redarc. I consider it first class and the best available this side of factory. It’s making the best of a dumb situation. Go forth and tow, you made a good choice.

JonB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
As part of the purchase deal for my new XLT I'm having the dealer install the factory brake controller. It will be done tomorrow and I'll see how they did. I went with the Ford controller after the TSB came out in July warning that after-market controllers may not be compatible with the emergency braking assist that is on the truck. This could just be Ford marketing, but I decided to err on the side of safety.

MT19RANGER

First Name
JERRY
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Oilfield Service Company Area Supervisor
Vehicle Showcase
As part of the purchase deal for my new XLT I'm having the dealer install the factory brake controller. It will be done tomorrow and I'll see how they did. I went with the Ford controller after the TSB came out in July warning that after-market controllers may not be compatible with the emergency braking assist that is on the truck. This could just be Ford marketing, but I decided to err on the side of safety.
If they install a factory one it will be the first. Please update us to your progress.

ausable

First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
The emergency braking thing is a recent tech addition to the auto world, and not on my new F-150 which we also tow with. Not knocking the tech, only saying that folks have been driving and towing for a century without that feature. Many people disable it when towing anyhow, along with adaptive cruise and lane keeping. At this point in the evolution of the self driving car, the shutoff option remains available.

Last edited:

ausable

First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
If they install a factory one it will be the first. Please update us to your progress.
To me, a "factory" feature is designed and installed at the factory. If a dealer puts it in, it's a dealer installed item. Not mincing words for argument's sake, just the way I see it. One of these days I am sure Ford will get it right and they'll come out the door at Michigan Assembly with a proper, factory brake controller. Now in it's second year of production and it hasn't happened yet.

MT19RANGER

First Name
JERRY
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Oilfield Service Company Area Supervisor
Vehicle Showcase
To me, a "factory" feature is designed and installed at the factory. If a dealer puts it in, it's a dealer installed item. Not mincing words for argument's sake, just the way I see it. One of these days I am sure Ford will get it right and they'll come out the door at Michigan Assembly with a proper, factory brake controller. Now in it's second year of production and it hasn't happened yet.
I do see your point. How about we say OEM. That would cover factory and dealer install.

ausable

First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I do see your point. How about we say OEM. That would cover factory and dealer install.
Honestly, it doesn't matter. The dealer unit, and for that matter, the one day, factory unit will be supplier purchased by Ford anyhow. The auto makers today are largely designers and assemblers of outsourced components as most people realize. It has just been fun/irritating/bewildering to watch this whole thing unfold and amazing that Ford didn't see it coming as they put so much stock into designing towing capability and touting towing capacity. Love my Ranger. Glad they brought it back. Bought it with eyes wide open. No regrets.

treimche

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger SOLD. 2005 S2000
Occupation
Accountant
Factory/Ford/OEM brake controller installed by the dealer in my 2019 XLT. Part #VKB3Z2C006A. Don't have the trailer yet -- gotta save up some more nickels. And while I'm sure the after-market controllers are OK, I decided to go the factory route. Each to his own.

IMG_3565.jpg
That knob is definitely the RedArc.

ausable

First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
That knob is definitely the RedArc.

Agreed. The RedArc buttons installed in the center console, as shown by others, would likely be a better location for me personally.

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
Agreed. The RedArc buttons installed in the center console, as shown by others, would likely be a better location for me personally.
I'm curious whether that's the prescribed location or if the installer just got creative.
Sponsored