Led Headlight bulbs

DHMag

First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Crew cab, 22 Wrangler Willys
Does anyone have experience with Hikari Ultra and Hikari 2020? What are the differences between the two? Also - will they both allow for the dust caps to be used?
Appreciate any input and information on these two bulbs. Thanks.
I had the Hikari Ultra in the low beam position. The dust covers fit but would not fully install. I have since installed Auxito bulbs in the low beam and the Hikaris in the fog lamp.
Sponsored

apotocki

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
Occupation
Network Force Analyst
Vehicle Showcase
I had the Hikari Ultra in the low beam position. The dust covers fit but would not fully install. I have since installed Auxito bulbs in the low beam and the Hikaris in the fog lamp.
Thanks for the reply. Which Auxito’s do you have and are you happy with them? How long have you had them? Any other opinion / insight on the LED headlights is appreciated.

DHMag

First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Crew cab, 22 Wrangler Willys
Thanks for the reply. Which Auxito’s do you have and are you happy with them? How long have you had them? Any other opinion / insight on the LED headlights is appreciated.
The Auxito are good but will probably require reaiming. I get flashed quite a bit, never got flashed with the Hikaris. Both seem to throw enough light though. I've had them installed for a couple months. One member here had one of his Auxitos burn up, just FYI.

Another member here also installed some CarRover bulbs and likes them alot, I believe it was @weasel1 . He is the one who turned me to the Auxito and seems to have more experience than I do.

Edit: forgot to add screenshot...
Screenshot_20191216-202013.png

llm.flyfisher

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Range crew cab XLT
The Auxito lows / highs I installed in my truck are working flawlessly. Fit behind the dust covers. Have not been flashed once since installing. Much better light than stock halogens. I am extremely happy with these lights. Hopefully they will continue to work like they are now.

apotocki

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
Occupation
Network Force Analyst
Vehicle Showcase
The Auxito lows / highs I installed in my truck are working flawlessly. Fit behind the dust covers. Have not been flashed once since installing. Much better light than stock halogens. I am extremely happy with these lights. Hopefully they will continue to work like they are now.
Thank you both for the information. Flyfisher - did you also use the Auxito mini’s?

llm.flyfisher

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Range crew cab XLT

Deleted member 1634

It's interesting to notice with people using the same bulbs, some get flashed, some don't. I wonder if that's more a comment on the driving culture in your area than it is about the bulbs alignment/glare. It'd be interesting to collect data regarding if you get flashed and where you were when it happened, and see if there's any correlation. At this point, I'm sure there's not enough data to get a good sampling, but it'd still be interesting. Just the engineer in me wanting to collect data about everything. haha

OP
OP
weasel1

weasel1

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Ranger Lighting Blue FX4 w/302A
Occupation
Nuclear Operator
Some of it is culture for sure, but some bulbs are better than others. The original Car Rover bulbs worked well, but cause lots of glare to other drivers. I was flashed a bunch. The new Car Rover bulbs I got are much better. Light is much more focused and less glare.

Deleted member 1634

Some of it is culture for sure, but some bulbs are better than others. The original Car Rover bulbs worked well, but cause lots of glare to other drivers. I was flashed a bunch. The new Car Rover bulbs I got are much better. Light is much more focused and less glare.
Sure, there are bad bulbs out there, no dispute on that. It'd be interesting to take that variable out of the equation though and just compare people with the same bulbs, like Auxito bulbs as an example. Same exact bulbs, same stock level truck, but who gets flashed or not.

Again, not enough data yet, but still an interesting think piece.

Deleted member 1634

Saw this posted on a cop friend's FB page today. LOL. Guess it's going around the internet.

75233956_2585903768160972_6010166462797316096_n.jpg
Reason #A why I still haven't upgraded my low beams. It's so hard to find reasonably bright, reasonable color, LED bulbs. A lot of bulbs out there are either too bright or too blue for my taste. Hopefully something soon because the stock halogens do leave something to be desired.

apotocki

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
Occupation
Network Force Analyst
Vehicle Showcase
Reason #A why I still haven't upgraded my low beams. It's so hard to find reasonably bright, reasonable color, LED bulbs. A lot of bulbs out there are either too bright or too blue for my taste. Hopefully something soon because the stock halogens do leave something to be desired.
An alternative which I’ve done on my vehicles with h11 low beam halogens is to swap them out for h9 halogens. You have to do a simple mod on the h9 but its not a big deal. Drawback is that the lifespan of the h9 is significantly shorter than the h11. Also - I have never been flashed using the h9’s in the low beam.

OP
OP
weasel1

weasel1

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Ranger Lighting Blue FX4 w/302A
Occupation
Nuclear Operator
Sure, there are bad bulbs out there, no dispute on that. It'd be interesting to take that variable out of the equation though and just compare people with the same bulbs, like Auxito bulbs as an example. Same exact bulbs, same stock level truck, but who gets flashed or not.

There's one other variable that will be impossible to control. Aiming. I highly doubt everyone's headlights are aimed the same. I'd imagine most haven't been touched since they left the factory. Who knows how much "tolerance" the factory has for headlight aim.

Deleted member 1634

There's one other variable that will be impossible to control. Aiming. I highly doubt everyone's headlights are aimed the same. I'd imagine most haven't been touched since they left the factory. Who knows how much "tolerance" the factory has for headlight aim.
I guess I would like to hope that the tolerance on aiming the headlights would be pretty small. I imagine there's some sort of regulation out there regarding that. Tolerance on interiors is huge because there's no regulation, but something like lights. I guess I'm thinking from an aviation industry perspective where we have a strict regulation on pretty much everything.

Another variable I hadn't initially considered would be what types of vehicles are flashing. Are they just cars which are lower to the ground and would probably be blinded anyways. Or are they trucks and SUVs which normally wouldn't, but now are.

Fun to think about.

DavidR

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Supercab Saber FX4
Occupation
Engineer

After running LED retrofits in four vehicles for about a year and a half, I'm not sure it's all the fault of the LED bulbs themselves. Three of the vehicles have reflector housings, and even with stock halogen bulbs, all three throw some light upward above the cutoff. The amount of light thrown upward with stock halogen bulbs installed presumably meets DOT regulations and is considered acceptable. If you retrofit the halogens with LED bulbs that are two or three times as bright, there will be two or three times as much light thrown up above the cutoff, even if the LED bulbs perfectly replicate the halogen beam pattern.

The fourth vehicle has projector housings and throws very little light upward above the cutoff. It works fine with both types of bulbs and I hardly ever get flashed either way.

In reflector housings that weren't designed for LED bulbs, there might always be a chance of annoying other drivers even with high-quality LED bulbs that perfectly replicate a halogen beam pattern, so it becomes a use-case decision. If you drive a lot on narrow two-lane roads where there is a lot of opposing traffic, it might be more considerate to stick with halogens for the low beams. If you drive mostly on large boulevards and freeways, or in a sparsely populated area, it probably doesn't matter as much.
Sponsored