Catch can question for possibly monitoring turbo health

steve973

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 F-150 XL STX
So far, the catch cans that are specific direct-fits for our 2019 Rangers are all single-valve cans. We can modify some of the cans to be dual-valve cans to allow for crankcase vapor evacuation whether at idle or while accelerating. But for both conditions, we are really only getting an indication of blow-by from the pistons. Over time, our turbo seals might begin to allow more oil to get past them, or the shaft might wear. And any of this will result in oil still making it through all of the intake parts. While it clearly makes no sense to run your compressed intake air through a coalescing filter, is there any way to gauge turbo health by the amount of oil that may be leaked into the intake?
Sponsored

Rick - Saber

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sport Ranger 4x4
I would imagine most of the oil coming from a cold side turbo leak would get trapped by the intercooler. The expansion area and temperature drop of the intercooler should cause most of any turbo oil to condense and drop to the bottom of the intercooler, I would think. Heavy boosting might blow some of the sitting oil up into the intake manifold. I've not looked at the piping recently to see how it is routed. Not sure how easy it would be to pop one of the hoses off to check for excessive oil in it. Or if possible to put a drain valve of some sort at a low point to check for build up.

I recall some on the VW forums mentioned oil collection in their intercoolers when they upgraded. The PCV routing on my turbo Jetta was pre-turbo if I remember right. So a catch can was helpful to keep that stuff out of the intake tract. Oil leaking from the hot side of the turbo could be seen as exhaust smoke.

How else we can keep a closer eye on turbo health I am not sure. Open to suggestions. Don't know if we have oil bearing or ball bearing turbos. Any one know for sure?