Turbo blanket for the ranger

Ljhardrock

First Name
Luis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger 2.3l, AFe 3in Turbo back Exhaust, AFe Intercooler pipe, Turbosmart BOV, 5star Tuning 91perf, Mishimoto cold air Intake, Big Mouth air ram, Mountune intercooler,
Occupation
A/C Tech
Has anyone installed a turbo blanket yet and if so is it worth buying.
Sponsored

Psykostevo

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Vehicle Showcase
Probably not worth it. More than likely would keep the turbo hotter more so than keeping the Underhood cooler.

jeepwranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 wrangler
It's supposed to help it spool up quicker. Might help the plastic and rubber stuff under the hood last a little longer.

OP
OP
Ljhardrock

Ljhardrock

First Name
Luis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger 2.3l, AFe 3in Turbo back Exhaust, AFe Intercooler pipe, Turbosmart BOV, 5star Tuning 91perf, Mishimoto cold air Intake, Big Mouth air ram, Mountune intercooler,
Occupation
A/C Tech
It definitely keeps the temps under the hood cooler but I am not sure if you get any performance from it.

Blmpkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 ranger
I realize this is an old thread, but its the only one I've seen after at least 6+ pages and considering considering the amount of knowledge on the matter displayed in the comments I think its worth expanding on..

A turbo blanket does indeed keep the turbo hotter, this is half the point of the blanket, this is a GOOD thing. Basically, the hotter the exhaust is going through the turbo.. the faster the turbo will spin. With a good blanket on, the turbo will hold a meaningful amount more heat and you will see more boost AND you'll see it come earlier in the revs.

The other half of the point is to lower underhood Temps, which will generally increase performance. Lower under hood temps usually translate into lower intake air temps. The lower your IAT is, the more aggressive your computer can get with its ignition timing. More timing=more fun.

Another wonderfully easy & worthwhile modification is to wrap the downpipe from the turbo to the point where its pretty much below the vehicle. Same idea as the turbo blanket. If you want to be thorough, wrap everything before the turbo as well.

My last turbo vehicle saw a boost increase of 5-5.5 psi after I installed a blanket and wrapped the downpipe.

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman
Wrapped downpipes and turbo blankets have their place.

My truck that sees 80% daily driving, 18% chores, and 2% offroad is not that place.

TommyAtomic

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
My 2 cents.

A turbo blanket is really a PITA to install. It was a massive pain installing on my WRX and rest assured it will be super annoying to install on my Ranger. But in HOT weather it was a game changer when doing errands, commuting or getting stuck in traffic. I was thankful for it every single time I got stuck behind some jackass who was unclear which direction was forward.

When you are on wide open highway with no obstructions it is not hugely beneficial.

But if you have any kind of tune, are towing any kind of load (especially up hills), and/or are making any amount of power over stock you should absolutely understand that your engine will run hotter and that turbo blanket will keep much of that heat inside your turbo where it helps you make power and at the same time keeps heat out of your engine bay preventing heat soak.

I cannot attribute it to any kind increase in boost because my WRX was already aggressively modified. But I can say that at the hottest part of an insanely hot summer; 90+ minutes and some bloody knuckles later installing the turbo blanket did drop some uncomfortable temps down to a reasonable level for several hot weeks while I waited for an upgraded radiator to ship. That was a long time ago, I no longer have the WRX but the principal is still sound.

TLDNR: Super annoying to install. Might be good in race applications but I wouldn't know. Works quite well for anyone making over stock power. Super useful controlling under hood temps.

Racket

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat Supercrew 2WD
Occupation
Transient
I thought the factory downpipe already had an insulated cover? At least I thought I saw that in the threads discussing the larger diameter aftermarket ones.

txquailguy

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger FX4 Lariat - 2020 Hyundai Kona Ultimate
Occupation
Biologist
Vehicle Showcase
pe
A turbo blanket does indeed keep the turbo hotter, this is half the point of the blanket, this is a GOOD thing. Basically, the hotter the exhaust is going through the turbo.. the faster the turbo will spin. With a good blanket on, the turbo will hold a meaningful amount more heat and you will see more boost AND you'll see it come earlier in the revs.

The other half of the point is to lower underhood Temps, which will generally increase performance. Lower under hood temps usually translate into lower intake air temps. The lower your IAT is, the more aggressive your computer can get with its ignition timing. More timing=more fun.

Another wonderfully easy & worthwhile modification is to wrap the downpipe from the turbo to the point where its pretty much below the vehicle. Same idea as the turbo blanket. If you want to be thorough, wrap everything before the turbo as well.

My last turbo vehicle saw a boost increase of 5-5.5 psi after I installed a blanket and wrapped the downpipe.
[/QUOTE]
I've done a few mods and am now running a nice tune....so much fun to drive! Can you please point me in the right direction as far as the kind of wrap and blanket to acquire for my Ranger. Sounds like an easy way to get boost and keep things cool....Thanks for the knowledge!

txquailguy

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger FX4 Lariat - 2020 Hyundai Kona Ultimate
Occupation
Biologist
Vehicle Showcase
So when looking for a turbo blanket, what size cover am I looking for...ie T3, T4, T6? I can't find that anywhere. I'm getting educated on this quickly. I like to put my foot in her so I would love to keep the heat down under the hood and get a faster spool for sure!

Blmpkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 ranger
The vehicle I blanketed and wrapped the d.p on was my daily driver subaru outback.

Putting the blanket on was tricky, but no where near the level of aggravation noted by Tommy imo. I think I got mine on in about 45 mins. Placement of the turbo on subarus make it tricky to install, with it being wedged pretty much behind the motor. You really need little Japanese hands to make it easy on those lol. Should be massively easier on a n-s oriented l4.

The factory downpipe may very well have a shield on it, but it wouldn't be anywhere near as effective as wrap would be, for the things discussed.

@txquailguy I'm unsure what size frame the ranger turbos are, I do hear they're quite small though. Id say a t3 blanket would be the best bet, but there's no way of knowing for sure until you try to fit it.

As for wrap, DEI sells complete kits containing the wrap (obviously) but also stainless locking ties to secure the wrap and hi-temp silicone spray.

The spray is applied over the wrap to "keep moisture out" lol. Personally, if I were in a different climate.. i wouldn't bother with the spray. A downpipe is going to dry itself of moisture pretty quickly getting to the temps. they do. I live in the northeast, so I only sprayed mine to keep nasty road chemicals from permeating my wrap and eating my exhaust.

Blmpkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 ranger
I would love to have Mythbsters do a show on this theory.
kinetic and potential energies at play, it would be interesting to see if these claims are what they are. If the gains or losses are negligible or significant.

and then....whats the long term effects of a hyper heated turbo on the turbo itself?

our turbo's are not much bigger than a dyson vacuum (joke), so is retention of heat a bigger gain than lets say a turbo on a tractor trailer diesel thats the size of a small car?
The thing is, it's not a theory.. this is a long established scientific rule.

The long term effects on the turbo itself are as follows:

None.

Turbos are designed to operate at temperatures well over what peak exhaust temp could ever DREAM of getting to.

Now, that being said, the extra heat WILL have an effect on the downpipe.. being that the metal its made from isn't nearly as strong or as thick as what the turbos made of. It will wear out quicker. How much quicker is the million dollar question. For the average daiy driver it really shouldn't be a concern. I've known people who have had wrap&blankets on vehicles for 100k+ miles with no related issues.

Considering the dollar/gain ratio that goes along with these modifications, they'll be some of the first ones I do to my truck. Wheels/tires/level first lol.

Tito

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SOLD Ranger, Not getting another, fuel in oil.
YouTube “ turbo blanket”. For those on the bubble on the turbo blanket. EE has good video using FLIR.

Blmpkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 ranger
The science is called Charles law, its been established for 218 years. A hotter gas has more volume than a cooler one. Increasing the temp of the gasses flowing through the turbo increases the volume flowing through the turbo.. thereby increasing the speed it spins. Science!

I have real world experience with the subject. I saw a 25% increase in boost pressure as a direct result of wrap and a blanket. Ill be doing it again.

And again, underhood temps have an EXTREME infuence on performance.

A general rule of thumb is for every 10° cooler you can get you IAT's, you'll be rewarded with 1% more hp. This is from the increased density of oxygen in the air.

A side effect of the cooler air, like I've previously mentioned, is the computer will give you more timing. A motor can and will pull anywhere from 2° to 5° timing per 10 degree increase in IAT. Timing has quite a large effect on performance.. like... huge. Depending on overall "rowdiness" of said motor, this can translate to anywhere from 3hp/degree to 30hp/degree.
For our theory here, well err on the softer side of things and figure it's only 3hp.

So, reduce the IAT of your ranger by 20°.. pretty easily done with the installation of insulation... and end up with about 6 "more" hp just from increased oxygen density and 12ish "more" hp from your motor being able to time itself more aggressively. Biggest gains here would be, as I'm pretty sure Tommy mentioned.. stopped or at a low speed, as IATs should be pretty close to ambient temp once your moving along at a good rate.

Last edited: