Should I buy a 2019 leftover or a used Ranger?

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
Id say this. wait and buy a used 2019. you can probably buy an xlt 302a fully loaded trim level with all the bells and whistles for the cost of a new 2020 XLT 301A package with limited options. Do yourself a favor and dont settle just so you can own a truck, buy a truck youll be happy with for years down the road! :)
The black Friday deals are pretty good - around here they are giving over $6,000 off MSRP for an XLT. I'd say if you can find something that you like at a local dealer, this is the time to buy - I doubt you will be seeing much better deals than that. These are almost F-150 levels of discounts. I just looked locally, and there was a loaded XLT (302A, Sport, FX4, Towing Packages) for $7,700 off MSRP. I've not seen that level of discounting on Rangers - at least not around here. I think it deserves at least a look for anyone serious about buying one.

Here is the truck: https://www.landmarkford.com/new/1FTER4FH5KLA08984.htm

I'm guessing the sales numbers for November and December are going to be higher due to the higher discounts.
Sponsored

Mokume

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Ranger Supercab (sold 12/19) , 2002 Honda CR-V
Occupation
Retired Firefighter III, Honolulu Fire Department
Supposedly today is the first day for model year 2020 Ranger production with the factory most likely producing dealer stock units first before addressing retail orders.
If you haven't inquired from your dealers as to what 2019's that have in transit, I'd say now's the time to do so because Ford will start shipping the 2020's very soon, if they have not already.
I personally waited to special order a 2020 SuperCab 4x2 mainly because the dealers here stock and on order vehicles is nearly 9 SuperCrews to 1 SuperCab. One of the just 3 dealers here has had a 2019 SuperCab 4x4 in stock since May of this year, for some reason they can't get rid of it, one can only imagine what their flooring costs are. I would of bought it but I don't want or need a 4x4, especially in black.
My 2020 SuperCab is scheduled to be built a week from today.
Good luck on your quest, keep us informed

rooster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
STX FX4 SuperCrew
Occupation
engineering systems admin
Vehicle Showcase
The black Friday deals are pretty good - around here they are giving over $6,000 off MSRP for an XLT. I'd say if you can find something that you like at a local dealer, this is the time to buy - I doubt you will be seeing much better deals than that. These are almost F-150 levels of discounts. I just looked locally, and there was a loaded XLT (302A, Sport, FX4, Towing Packages) for $7,700 off MSRP. I've not seen that level of discounting on Rangers - at least not around here. I think it deserves at least a look for anyone serious about buying one.

I'm guessing the sales numbers for November and December are going to be higher due to the higher discounts.
That's pretty good, I've been seeing some discounts half that or so more regularly these days. I wish the car I replaced with didn't fall apart earlier this year! Ah well, you win some you lose some.... maybe I can gain a little on a perfectly timed trade in 3-4 years from now...

Mokume

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation

Indeed, that is an excellent figure for a 4x4 SuperCrew.
I see where you are privileged to reside in Oregon, probably one of the cleanest and most picturesque of the fifty, along with no sales tax!
As you may or may not remember, there were a lot of vehicles sold in OR and shipped to HI because of the lack of sales tax.
If I remember correctly Hawaii tax laws considered a vehicle used if it was bought new from out of state and accumulated 1K miles or so and was exempt from vehicle sales tax when landed here. It does not take much to accumulate a thousand miles on the mainland.
Thousands of Hawaii residents took advantage of this situation, including myself in a new vehicle purchase, but tax collectors here wised up and virtually eliminated that tax break in the mid 2000's.
Had they not, believe me I would of ordered a 2020 from a broker there and do a repeat road trip such as I did with my 2000 SuperCab.

dambrian

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
If you're looking for the best deal, now is the time to do so. The current "Black Friday Sales Event" is from now till December 2nd, 2019. May vary based upon Zip Code.

Nutty 5.0

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 LB Super Crew, 2012 GT500, 2015 VW GSW TDI
Vehicle Showcase
I just pulled up my company's X Plan and in the SE Pa area it's 6600 incentives for an XLT. That's great plus there's other incentives going on.
2019 Incentives.jpg

MannyS

First Name
Manny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Vehicle Showcase
XLT all black appearance package, crew cab, FX4, 302a MSRP $41,000. $34,000 OTD. Was the dealership loaner vehicle had 2000 when I bought it.

GT5050

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Good used Rangers are out there - mine is XLT 302a package, tow package FX4. 3000 miles on the clock, 6 months old. Was a trade-in, best guess is it wasn’t a good fit for the previous owner. Other than the little bit of mileage the truck has no evidence of being ‘used’. Sticker was 40080, got it for 30k even plus tax/tag. 25% off of sticker, 20% and a bit off of a-plan. It also had a Bakflip F1 tonneau cover as a bonus, which is something I would have needed to buy otherwise for my use.

Yes there are stories of guys who probably got close to that kind of price on a new one, but I think the ship has sailed on some of those rebates and I think I got a pretty solid price without much effort. More used Rangers out there starting to show up too...

Mokume

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Good used Rangers are out there - mine is XLT 302a package, tow package FX4. 3000 miles on the clock, 6 months old. Was a trade-in, best guess is it wasn’t a good fit for the previous owner. Other than the little bit of mileage the truck has no evidence of being ‘used’. Sticker was 40080, got it for 30k even plus tax/tag. 25% off of sticker, 20% and a bit off of a-plan. It also had a Bakflip F1 tonneau cover as a bonus, which is something I would have needed to buy otherwise for my use.

Yes there are stories of guys who probably got close to that kind of price on a new one, but I think the ship has sailed on some of those rebates and I think I got a pretty solid price without much effort. More used Rangers out there starting to show up too...
What's "a-plan"?

Nutty 5.0

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
What's "a-plan"?
It’s the discount for Ford employees as X is for Ford Partners, D for dealers and Z for retirees. Different percentages off invoice...

I bought my wife her 2007 Focus on A plan when my uncle worked for Visteon. (He was robotic engineer that was Philco in Lansdale, Pa who did EEC stuff). I had to pay cash and co-sign in my uncles name for a year so he wouldn’t get in trouble. 20k Focus for 14k after rebates on A plan.

Wonder if Phil knows about any of the folks there at Visteon?

GT5050

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
What's "a-plan"?
It’s the discount for Ford employees as X is for Ford Partners, D for dealers and Z for retirees. Different percentages off invoice...

I bought my wife her 2007 Focus on A plan when my uncle worked for Visteon. (He was robotic engineer that was Philco in Lansdale, Pa who did EEC stuff). I had to pay cash and co-sign in my uncles name for a year so he wouldn’t get in trouble. 20k Focus for 14k after rebates on A plan.

Yup. It’s the best of the employee or vendor discounts available, and then incentives are applied on top of that.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase

Hi Dave,

Ford has loosened up A/Z plan to include relatives. The difference between A and Z (the vehicle price is the same as spelled out on the invoice) is that the retiree has to pay a fee for processing the paperwork that the A plan purchasers does not have to pay. A/Z is roughly 2.5% below dealer invoice. X Plan is about ½% above dealer invoice and is called Friends & Neighbors. Do not know about D plan pricing. Nice thing is that all the cards are face up...non negotiation... I get 4 Z plans and 4 X Plans a year to give away, but usually only end up giving a couple X plans each year. Nice thing is that these plans are good for a year and if not used, just fade away...you are under no obligation to use the plan. Last year I did not give any away for either plan... There is one obligation and that is that you must keep the vehicle for half a year..this is to keep people from flipping vehicles, however I have never had to prove I still had the vehicle I bought within this 6 month period.

Do not have many folks who transferred to Visteon in my network anymore... Those I do know, most regret not staying at Ford...

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

Nutty 5.0

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Thank you Phil! You'd think being a retired employee they'd suck up the fee! But still better than throwing you into the X plan pricing.

Regarding Visteon, he as most at that plant weren't very happy when they went to Visteon. And more ticked when they moved them out...

EDIT: He was a Ford employee than the spin off thing with Visteon happened which made things not as good. Than they moved them out...

Last edited:

Mokume

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation

Thanks for the response Nutty, indeed I had bought my 2020 under the X-plan program and was under the impression that this plan only applied to new vehicles, GT5050 alluded to a used vehicle.

Does the A plan apply to used vehicles as well?

For your amusement:

GT5050

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Thanks for the response Nutty, indeed I had bought my 2020 under the X-plan program and was under the impression that this plan only applied to new vehicles, GT5050 alluded to a used vehicle.

Does the A plan apply to used vehicles as well?

For your amusement:

Just to clarify, what I was pointing out was that the pricing on a used one worked out well, even as compared to some plan pricing, NOT that any plan pricing would apply to pre-owned. Overall I’m very happy with finding an almost-new used one, as I only get access to x-plan and with current incentives I doubt I would have gotten near this price. Larger point - for those browsing this thread - is that there are great used Rangers starting to pop up at some good prices. No, they’re still not cheap and I wouldn’t want it to be as resale value shouldn’t drop like a rock, but buying used certainly put the exact Ranger that I wanted squarely in my budget and might do the same for other potential buyers.
Sponsored