Kicker Key180.4 installation

Stan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Sport
Hi all, first post here. I have a 2019 Ford Ranger XLT with the 8" sync 3 system.
I want to add a Kicker KEY180.4 amp to my factory system using high level inputs and i don't want to remove the head unit. I want to make sure of the installation steps( I understand the power and grounding steps):
1. Cut the wires at the front left and right speakers and run these to the amp's input harness.
2. Cut the wires at the rear left and right speakers and run these to the amp's input harness.
(will have to cut off RCA connectors and splice above connections)
3. Run speaker wires from amp output to front and rear speakers.
Are these the correct steps? Is there an easier method?
Sorry for the noob question but not very experienced with electronics.
Thanks, Stan
Sponsored

User79

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
If it's this amp you would just tie in the input speaker wires to the amp's connector clip..... don't need to splice an rca connector.
https://www.kicker.com/key-smart-amplifier.
Cool little amp....

Are you replacing the speakers?

OP
OP

Stan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Sport
If it's this amp you would just tie in the input speaker wires to the amp's connector clip..... don't need to splice an rca connector.
https://www.kicker.com/key-smart-amplifier.
Cool little amp....

Are you replacing the speakers?
Yes, that is the amp. Not replacing speakers at this time but plan to as money allows. The amps input harness has rca connectors on it and the manual says to cut if necessary if using speaker level inputs. I guess where I am getting confused is when you say tie into the input speaker wires. I have read where some say just to splice in the amp input wires to say the front speaker inputs and that's it. Seems that doing it that way would be powering the speakers with both the head unit and the amp which I read somewhere else is a no-no. And if you do it this way, where do the amps outputs go? As I said, not very knowledgeable about this.

Last edited:

User79

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
Yes, that is the amp. Not replacing speakers at this time but plan to as money allows. The amps input harness has rca connectors on it and the manual says to cut if necessary if using speaker level inputs. I guess where I am getting confused is when you say tie into the input speaker wires. I have read where some say just to splice in the amp input wires to say the front speaker inputs and that's it. Seems that doing it that way would be powering the speakers with both the head unit and the amp which I read somewhere else is a no-no.
Sorry, misunderstood what you meant about cutting the rca's...didn't realize the amps harness had rca's. Yes, you will cut the rca connectors from the amp's harness & splice in the output speaker wires from the factory head unit. You got it right, sorry for the confusion of "tie into".

You may want to wait until you are ready to replace the speakers. I'm not sure what you will gain without replacing them, they are probably matched to the head units output.

OP
OP

Stan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Sport
Sorry, misunderstood what you meant about cutting the rca's...didn't realize the amps harness had rca's. Yes, you will cut the rca connectors from the amp's harness & splice in the output speaker wires from the factory head unit. You got it right, sorry for the confusion of "tie into".

You may want to wait until you are ready to replace the speakers. I'm not sure what you will gain without replacing them, they are probably matched to the head units output.
Thanks!! Just to make sure, my steps listed in the first post are correct?

OP
OP

Stan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Sport
Yeah, it looks like you have a good plan.
Thank you for your replies and help!!!! I think I will go ahead and replace the speakers also...at least the front ones for now.
Thanks again!

User79

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
Thank you for your replies and help!!!! I think I will go ahead and replace the speakers also...at least the front ones for now.
Thanks again!
Somewhere on this forum there are some pics posted of the OEM speakers & their adapters. I don't know if you can buy adapters for our truck yet but you can Dremel (cut) the adapters from the OEM speakers & retrofit them to your new ones.

OP
OP

Stan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Sport
Somewhere on this forum there are some pics posted of the OEM speakers & their adapters. I don't know if you can buy adapters for our truck yet but you can Dremel (cut) the adapters from the OEM speakers & retrofit them to your new ones.
Crutchfield says they have adapter for the woofers but if not, yeah, I'll gut the stock speakers.

User79

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
Crutchfield says they have adapter for the woofers but if not, yeah, I'll gut the stock speakers.
Cool....
You may also want to use a line converter. May not be completely necessary on the mids & highs but you will most likely want one if you hook up a sub. Audio control makes nice units, here's a 6 channel.
https://www.amazon.com/AudioControl...&qid=1565193822&s=gateway&sprefix=lc4i&sr=8-6

I have heard good things about this guy's stuff but have never tried myself.
http://davidnavone.com/product/n-rhl2-2-channel-50-watt-per-channel-line-output-converter/

zrd

First Name
B
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Stan,

Did you finish this?

I just received the amp as a gift, together with an LC7.
I wonder if you found good pointer on how to tap the output of the stock unit.

Bryan

OP
OP

Stan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Sport
Stan,

Did you finish this?

I just received the amp as a gift, together with an LC7.
I wonder if you found good pointer on how to tap the output of the stock unit.

Bryan
Bryan, I ended up getting it professionally installed and I'm not sure what/where they tapped into the output. It is a good little amp though.
Sorry I couldn't be more help.
Sponsored