Why did YOU choose a mid-size truck?

SafetyDan

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 V2 - Ranger Lariat, FX4, 501A, Trailer Tow (Lightning Blue), V1- Lariat, FX4, 500A, Trailer Tow (Ingot Silver) <Epic Fail - Lemon>
Vehicle Showcase
  1. Easier to park
  2. Rarely need a truck, and when I do a midsize is (normally) enough
  3. Should be easier to take on trails when I get around to it
  4. Only have one passenger with me at a time, so space is fine
BUT most important - because I am the one paying for it!!!!
Sponsored

Mokume

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Ranger Supercab (sold 12/19) , 2002 Honda CR-V
Occupation
Retired Firefighter III, Honolulu Fire Department
  1. Easier to park
  2. Rarely need a truck, and when I do a midsize is (normally) enough
  3. Should be easier to take on trails when I get around to it
  4. Only have one passenger with me at a time, so space is fine
BUT most important - because I am the one paying for it!!!!
Well put, very well put indeed!

BOT_ROCKET

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Tacoma TRD Off-Road, 1990 Mustang Lx 5.0 5sp
The reasons I give:

1. Simple enough, I don't need a full size truck.
2. Better fitment in garage, parking spots, small enough that the fiance can drive it if needed
3. Better suited for our 4x4 trails
4. Better MPG
5. My genitals are not in need of an automotive extension
Pretty much that. #5 is debatable, but my GF seems ok with what I came with.

That said, a new F250 with a 7.3 Godzilla Tremor package wouldn't hurt my feelings if I could fit one in my driveway.

Last edited:

Chappy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shadow Black 2019 Ford Ranger XLT 4x2
I used to drive a full size F-150 Super Cab, which was fine when I lived in the country. But once I moved to the metroplex, I found it was difficult to get into parking spaces. Sometimes with only a few feet clearance on either side. Here's my bullet point reasons:

• Easier parking
  • Better MPG
  • Wife can drive it, if needed.
  • Wanted a full back seat (although the F-150 Super Cab back seat really is the same size)
  • Only haul stuff occasionally
  • I really enjoyed my 4th Gen Ranger
  • Did i mention the better MPG?

Mokume

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Ranger Supercab (sold 12/19) , 2002 Honda CR-V
Occupation
Retired Firefighter III, Honolulu Fire Department
I used to drive a full size F-150 Super Cab, which was fine when I lived in the country. But once I moved to the metroplex, I found it was difficult to get into parking spaces. Sometimes with only a few feet clearance on either side. Here's my bullet point reasons:

• Easier parking
  • Better MPG
  • Wife can drive it, if needed.
  • Wanted a full back seat (although the F-150 Super Cab back seat really is the same size)
  • Only haul stuff occasionally
  • I really enjoyed my 4th Gen Ranger
  • Did i mention the better MPG?
Size, maneuverability and past experiences were my reasons to buy another Ranger.

Honolulu metro driving can be a nightmare, but, because of the recent pandemic, road traffic has been reduced at least 60%.

Eventually this major life altering event will pass, but that cannot happen soon enough.

I'm sure everyone on this planet agrees...

MannyS

First Name
Manny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Vehicle Showcase
I'd actually be fine with an even smaller truck, but that isn't a thing you can buy today in the US.
Will be in a couple years. Ford is coming out with a Small sized "pickup".

CompDude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Lariat Rapid Red
Occupation
PAID GEEK
Any one haul any teenager's in the back seat? We are a family of 3 and my only concern is room in the back seat for our teenager. We have test drove several but that was very short trips and it seemed OK but cramped..

MannyS

First Name
Manny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Vehicle Showcase
1. Wanted to go off roading
2. Got way more options with the price
3. Can fit it in my garage
4. Don't need a huge pickup bed.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
Any one haul any teenager's in the back seat? We are a family of 3 and my only concern is room in the back seat for our teenager. We have test drove several but that was very short trips and it seemed OK but cramped..
Not teenagers but when my parents were here back in November (3 weeks) they sat in the back a lot. My mom actually said there was more room back there than my '16 Tacoma so I think your teens will be good. BTW I have a S-crew so a S-cab might be more cramped.

RANGER_MARC

First Name
MARC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FORD RANGER LARIAT 2019
Occupation
TEACH
Vehicle Showcase
With our super-crew, we usually put two crates of sporting equipment and assorted junk (his and hers) on the back seats. So, if you get a super-crew, two teenagers would be fine, or one teenager and one box of junk. Depending on models and options, you can get connectivity for everyone in the truck (and outside as well) with USB ports front and back, which should keep your teen pleasantly occupied during the longer trips....

micl9

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Fx4 302A
Vehicle Showcase
In 1988 bought an S10 Blazer, in 97 bought a full size 2dr Blazer
In 2001 I bought a Nissan Frontier King cab, this was the old small one. In 2007 I bought another Nissan Frontier(the new mid size version), crew cab this time, had a to fit a baby seat! Loved that truck. Sold it back in Oct and started to think about what to buy. 1st thought was another pickup. IMHO much more handy than an SUV, and generally cheaper! I considered NOT buying a pickup, but didn't know what to buy if not a pickup.
Ranger was a late entrant into the decision and I was won over by the great end of year deals and the looks. My wife wanted me to get a full size F150 and even drove a friends brand new LOADED Silverado. It was nice but who needs all that space.
You can pretty much ditto what all the others have said for me. Mid-Size is the way to go.

Chappy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shadow Black 2019 Ford Ranger XLT 4x2
My one concern I have is how well the seats in the ranger will hold up. My '04 F 1-50 had a tear in the driver side seat on the outside, first thing you would see when opening the door. It was probably wear/tear from sliding out of the truck after a trip. I put a lot of miles early on, but after 15 years I only had 195,000 miles on it, averaging about 13K per year. I'm planning on having the Ranger for a long time, also, and hoping the driver seat lasts the entire time.

John Lyman

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Sport 4x2 Oxford White
Vehicle Showcase
The F150 was way to big for my needs - my youngest son loved the back seat as he could play football back there. I don't need to haul a lot of big stuff - everything that I do haul will fit in the back. Also, once I drove the ranger I was hooked - it meets all of my needs. Living in North Atlanta this is just the right size to go downtown and to the country.