Bad mpg after tune and bolt on

Michael Bailey

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat 4x4, 2017 Escape SE 2.0 4x4, 1974 Norton Commando 850, 1967 Norton P11 750
Occupation
Trout Fisher, Layabout, US Army SGM (Ret)
Vehicle Showcase
Mine is very low now (10.3 with the factory/stock tune), but we're having some very cold temps outside & I'm using the remote start & longer idle times before getting in and driving. I expect this will change on longer highway trips, but in town now & winter, there's a lot of time spent warming the engine prior to leaving the driveway.

This morning it was 20f outside with winds blowing 25-40 mph when I woke up, so I'm going to have to warm the truck for about 10 minutes before driving at all. This is a killer for mpg, but I'm not driving a turbo motor when it's that cold internally, just sayin'...
I can not think of any mechanical reason to warm up these trucks before operation. Are you doing these long warm-ups just to have a warm cabin before you hop in, or do you know something on the mechanical side that I don't know?

Noseoil

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger / 2013 Honda Civic / Red Rocket mini bike (zoom!)
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I'm just paranoid & retired with plenty of time to kill. I know running a higher performance motor when it's not up to temperature just isn't good internally. A top fuel motor is made to run with nitro helping to cool the motor, but it only turns a few revolutions (less than 600) to go the 1000' under a load. The Ranger is no dragster, it's made to run longer. I'm no engineer, so I don't know any better.

It's the same way I would not let the engine run really hard under boost on the freeway, then just shut it down without letting it idle for a little while to bring down the internal temperatures. I'm just old & set in my ways about motors. It's like using good oil, taking care of things before they break & using a bit of common sense in general (mine is not necessarily right). I'm not claiming to be right here at all, just conservative in my views & trying to prevent problems in the future ($$).

Michael Bailey

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat 4x4, 2017 Escape SE 2.0 4x4, 1974 Norton Commando 850, 1967 Norton P11 750
Occupation
Trout Fisher, Layabout, US Army SGM (Ret)
Vehicle Showcase
I'm just paranoid & retired with plenty of time to kill. I know running a higher performance motor when it's not up to temperature just isn't good internally. A top fuel motor is made to run with nitro helping to cool the motor, but it only turns a few revolutions (less than 600) to go the 1000' under a load. The Ranger is no dragster, it's made to run longer. I'm no engineer, so I don't know any better.

It's the same way I would not let the engine run really hard under boost on the freeway, then just shut it down without letting it idle for a little while to bring down the internal temperatures. I'm just old & set in my ways about motors. It's like using good oil, taking care of things before they break & using a bit of common sense in general (mine is not necessarily right). I'm not claiming to be right here at all, just conservative in my views & trying to prevent problems in the future ($$).
Well, dragsters do not run with any kind of cooling system, while Rangers do. So, apples and oranges, Rangers and dragsters, right?

I would not stomp the accelerator on a cold engine, I believe that normal operation, within normal operating parameters, is fine with a cold engine. I start mine, buckle up and adjust mirrors and such, and drive away with no drama. I expect 15 good trouble-free years just like I got with my last truck, an '05 5.4L F150.

Tueltschi

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
Auto Painter
I bought a 2019 new the dealer put a 3.5 BDS lift and 285/70R17’s on it. From the place I bought it was about 120 miles home over 4500 FT pass it got 20 mpg. Right after I got it I bought the Ford Motorsports tune for it and run 92 octane all time. It gets 18 to 19 in town and I 24 on trip the Reno going 70to75. Pretty impressed with that big of tire on the truck

D3745013-C488-4105-AFB3-F41032BDFAE3.jpeg

Cabose-1

First Name
Eli
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger XLT FX2
Occupation
Student
That sounds like the bolt on mod to my old 1980 f250 after a 4 barrel carb. 351m engine. Mpg got better when i added a tirque converter locker. Let us know what you find. I plan on doing mods later to my ranger. But definitely sounds like something needs to be tuned or programed

AutobotXJ

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Wildlife Biologist
Off the bat, something looks wrong. What were the bolt on mods? What kind of tune? And most of all, how many miles did you drive for that average? What kind of driving did you do? I can fill up, reset my trip computer, and drive 40 miles up the mauna and average 6 mpg. But my lifetime average is 22 mpg (32,000 miles).

taildraggerpilot

First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat FX4, 2022 MINI JCW Hardtop
Occupation
Boeing Driver
That’s abysmal. Something is really wrong there. I actually enjoy better economy now after all my mods and tune.
Sponsored