First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Taurus, 2019 Ranger XL (May 20)
Occupation
Retired
I will be doing the same thing but I'm looking for an appropriate waterproof switch. Where did you install your switch and where did you get it?
The switch came with the lights. I mounted it just inside the tail gate, high on the side. I have a cover, so no water issues.
Sponsored

fah3

First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
Vehicle Showcase
I got my $25 bed lights installed this weekend. Thanks to those who contributed to this thread on tapping the 12V bed power supply.

I spliced the wiring harness (part #KB3Z-14A411-A) for the bed 12V socket assembly (part #: 7A2Z-19N236-A) and used crimps with glue and some heavy duty landscape wiring for my pigtail to power the lights. Wired in an 18mm round rocker switch to turn them on/off as needed.

I can confirm, as others have, that the 12V bed socket (and thus my lights) stays powered for an extended period of time after you turn the truck off. The only downside is if you walk up to the truck and it has been turned off, you need to at least hit the ignition button once to fire up the electronics in order for the lights to work. Remote start can solve this problem.

The lights are 1” square and have 3M adhesive on the back. I took the advice of an Amazon reviewer and bought nickel sized round magnets that I attached to the adhesive/lights and then used the magnets to affix the lights to the truck bed. Super easy and the lights are now movable. The lights, 8 total, give off the perfect amount of illumination to let you see what’s going on under your tonneau.

The rocker switch location was my only mild miss on this project. I didn’t want to drill a hole in the bed, so I cut a hole out of one of the rubber oval shaped plugs on the sidewall. All was great until I found that there was not enough depth on the sidewall to accommodate the switch with the wiring harness on the back. It’s really close, but not perfect.

If anyone has ideas for a spacer or bracket setup to give it a perfect finish, please chime in. I probably need about an 1/8” more.

7AD6D479-951F-495E-8CB7-2B17BE649FE5.jpeg

E74A86E4-11A5-4AB5-A2BD-D76C125F1F5F.jpeg

E68301E9-CC06-42BD-8F9F-5277DD3640A0.jpeg

BDC3D4A7-8022-489B-8234-C816CEBE2000.jpeg

Johnpenn

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4, 2004 Corvette, 2005 Ranger Edge
Occupation
Retired Quality and EHS Manager
I got my $25 bed lights installed this weekend. Thanks to those who contributed to this thread on tapping the 12V bed power supply.

I spliced the wiring harness (part #KB3Z-14A411-A) for the bed 12V socket assembly (part #: 7A2Z-19N236-A) and used crimps with glue and some heavy duty landscape wiring for my pigtail to power the lights. Wired in an 18mm round rocker switch to turn them on/off as needed.

I can confirm, as others have, that the 12V bed socket (and thus my lights) stays powered for an extended period of time after you turn the truck off. The only downside is if you walk up to the truck and it has been turned off, you need to at least hit the ignition button once to fire up the electronics in order for the lights to work. Remote start can solve this problem.

The lights are 1” square and have 3M adhesive on the back. I took the advice of an Amazon reviewer and bought nickel sized round magnets that I attached to the adhesive/lights and then used the magnets to affix the lights to the truck bed. Super easy and the lights are now movable. The lights, 8 total, give off the perfect amount of illumination to let you see what’s going on under your tonneau.

The rocker switch location was my only mild miss on this project. I didn’t want to drill a hole in the bed, so I cut a hole out of one of the rubber oval shaped plugs on the sidewall. All was great until I found that there was not enough depth on the sidewall to accommodate the switch with the wiring harness on the back. It’s really close, but not perfect.

If anyone has ideas for a spacer or bracket setup to give it a perfect finish, please chime in. I probably need about an 1/8” more.
]
I used the same switch but just drilled a hole in the bed behind the driver's side tail light. The bed has a bunch of holes punched in it already so I didn't worry about adding one more and there is lots of room for wires back there. You might try an appropriately sized grommet, o-ring or rubber washer as a spacer. That should give you a little more depth. I usually search the hardware stores when I'm improvising.

Junior Blue

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lightening Blue Ranger Lariat Crew
I used the same switch but just drilled a hole in the bed behind the driver's side tail light. The bed has a bunch of holes punched in it already so I didn't worry about adding one more and there is lots of room for wires back there. You might try an appropriately sized grommet, o-ring or rubber washer as a spacer. That should give you a little more depth. I usually search the hardware stores when I'm improvising.

Junior Blue

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lightening Blue Ranger Lariat Crew
fah3
I put my switch in the round hole, it's just below the bed rail, one on both sides. There's about 1 and 3/4 inch space behind it and the outside fender.The hole is about 1/2 inch in diameter. I guess I'm to late you already mounted your switch.

Johnpenn

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4, 2004 Corvette, 2005 Ranger Edge
Occupation
Retired Quality and EHS Manager
fah3
I put my switch in the round hole, it's just below the bed rail, one on both sides. There's about 1 and 3/4 inch space behind it and the outside fender.The hole is about 1/2 inch in diameter. I guess I'm to late you already mounted your switch.
I tried to find a switch that fit that hole too but ended up with 19mm which seems to be a standard for round rocker switches. I never was able to find a 1/2 inch switch so I just drilled a new hole in the most convenient place.

fah3

First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
Vehicle Showcase
I picked up some #14 (3/4” inner diameter) O-rings at Home Depot. Pulled my 18mm round switch out enough to make the oval plug fit as it should and then slipped two of the O-rings on to give it a finished look. All good.

Thanks all for helping with the solution!

Last edited:

j0shm1lls

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2016 Focus RS, 2019 Ranger SCrew Lariat FX4 Sport
Vehicle Showcase

Fawnbuster

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
Retired 34 years as LEO
Vehicle Showcase
nice lights! cannot find the magnetic ones anywhere, googled it and the peel and stick ones are all the come up on amazon, even went to a top ten bed light list on a site with links to amazon (quoted magnetic) and that links to the peel and stick amazon lights.

Unfortunately, I did not take a picture of the lights before install. Powered from the 12-volt bed port wires on the harness. I have a switch and the harness power also goes OFF after a while. The cover is closed in this picture.
Fuguang LED Truck Bed Lighting Kit 2PCS 60Inch Magnetic Attraction IP68 5050SMD High Brightness For Cargo Boats,Pickup,SUV
They are magnetic, so "stick" to the iron box.

Lights-3.jpg

Noel Willhite

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
Vehicle Showcase

If i purchase the wiring harness and not the socket assembly , would i technically be able to cut the harness and use the live wiring to tap directly to the lights and switch?
Side note: i ordered the harness but no socket as i have no intention on using the 12v
Can you describe the splicing process? Are you using military splice and taping it off to keep 12v socket in use while also having lights ?
Sorry for the 20 questions , I’ve read so many threads and this option seems best for me

WhiteRaptor

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Super Crew
Occupation
Construction

I’m trying to get a 12v constant wire at the rear of my truck for a Putco blade install. D side frame, behind the rear tire their is a black wire with a white stripe and a red wire that is mounted to the frame, just forward of the rear shackle. Is this the power and ground wire? I don’t have bed lights so it’s just capped off.

Dollar

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XL STX 4x4, Focus, Mustang, F150, MC's
Occupation
Industrial Electrician

I should've asked before I ordered ...but how have these been holding up?
Seen your post date 10/21.
Thanks for the link!
Sponsored