NAndrews33

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Vehicle Showcase
Anyone know of a good brand for a beginner's buffer/polisher? I normally do it by hand but need to step it up. Looking for something electric and variable speed.
Sponsored

LightingBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fx4 off-road Larit Supercab (2019)
For the money, I don't think you can beat the Porter Cable 7424xp. I've used these, RUPES, several of the Griots generations and direct drive in my life. The Porter Cable is a solid unit.

I started out learning detailing in High School and continue to run a boutique detail business for specific clients or cars.

My personal Porter Cable 7424xp has a few thousand hours of trouble free use at this point and still going strong!

https://www.autogeek.net/porter-cable-7424xp.html

As far as pads go, if you're going to get into it properly, then you're going to need proper pads, and they have a great kit you can build with 6 pads of your choice.

https://www.autogeek.net/pc7424-5inch-pad-kit.html

Suggested pad selection:
- Orange x2
- Green x2
- Black x2

OP
OP
NAndrews33

NAndrews33

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Vehicle Showcase
For the money, I don't think you can beat the Porter Cable 7424xp. I've used these, RUPES, several of the Griots generations and direct drive in my life. The Porter Cable is a solid unit.

I started out learning detailing in High School and continue to run a boutique detail business for specific clients or cars.

My personal Porter Cable 7424xp has a few thousand hours of trouble free use at this point and still going strong!

https://www.autogeek.net/porter-cable-7424xp.html

As far as pads go, if you're going to get into it properly, then you're going to need proper pads, and they have a great kit you can build with 6 pads of your choice.

https://www.autogeek.net/pc7424-5inch-pad-kit.html

Suggested pad selection:
- Orange x2
- Green x2
- Black x2
Awesome! I was looking at a Porter Cable. I've never had a problem with any of their other tools. I think it's finally time to learn how to polish using a machine instead of by hand. The results are night and day between the two.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Awesome! I was looking at a Porter Cable. I've never had a problem with any of their other tools. I think it's finally time to learn how to polish using a machine instead of by hand. The results are night and day between the two.
Hi,

I can vouch for Porter Cable tools...much of my shop is equipped with Porter Cable tools. Some are over 30 years old and still going strong!

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

OP
OP
NAndrews33

NAndrews33

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Vehicle Showcase
Hi,

I can vouch for Porter Cable tools...much of my shop is equipped with Porter Cable tools. Some are over 30 years old and still going strong!

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired[/QUOTE
Some of your tools got 10 years on me (not to make you feel bad). I do need my own personal shop though. Thanks Phil, I'll be buying the porter cable.

Rinn69

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCrew 4x4 Lightning Blue
Occupation
Retired USAF MSgt
Vehicle Showcase
I also have a PC 7424XP. Very nice and easy to use. I'm a big fan of Sonax products and have used their Perfect Finish. It starts as a light haze or swirl remover, and as the abrasives break down, they transform into a polishing abrasive and leaves a incredible polished finish. A lot of videos on YouTube of both products being used too.

FULLSCALE

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4 Supercrew, 2011 Mazda 3 Sport GT-E, 1968 Ford Mustang
I’m planning on buying the new 20V DeWalt. I’ve also heard many good things about their older corded one though!

BButah

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCrew FX4 (Saber)
Anyone know of a good brand for a beginner's buffer/polisher? I normally do it by hand but need to step it up. Looking for something electric and variable speed.
Thumbs up from me on the Porter Cable 7424. My liquid weapon of choice is the Menzerna line of products and the Lake Country 7.5" curved edge pads. Here is my '02 allroad just before I sold it to get my Ranger:
IMG_6141.jpeg

LightingBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thumbs up from me on the Porter Cable 7424. My liquid weapon of choice is the Menzerna line of products and the Lake Country 7.5" curved edge pads. Here is my '02 allroad just before I sold it to get my Ranger:
IMG_6141.jpeg
Going to have to agree with the Menzerna line. I've used hundreds of different polishing compounds over the decades and am constantly amazed at their polishes. Plus they are constantly working on updates to their products unlike some others (Looking at you, Mothers 20+ year old pro line, 3M, and others.....)

As for paint protection, my weapon of choice is a base coating of Wolfgang v3.0 sealant (OMG this stuff goes on easy, doesn't discolor plastics, and buffs off with almost zero effort! But you can't get it wet for 24 hours after application) topped with a paste wax such as DoDo Supernatural, Natty's or McKeey's 37 that will add a lot more warmth to the shine of the v3.0.

BButah

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCrew FX4 (Saber)
Going to have to agree with the Menzerna line. I've used hundreds of different polishing compounds over the decades and am constantly amazed at their polishes. Plus they are constantly working on updates to their products unlike some others (Looking at you, Mothers 20+ year old pro line, 3M, and others.....)

As for paint protection, my weapon of choice is a base coating of Wolfgang v3.0 sealant (OMG this stuff goes on easy, doesn't discolor plastics, and buffs off with almost zero effort! But you can't get it wet for 24 hours after application) topped with a paste wax such as DoDo Supernatural, Natty's or McKeey's 37 that will add a lot more warmth to the shine of the v3.0.
I have heard the Wolfgang v3.0 is amazing stuff. Your comments about ease of application and not discoloring plastic is exactly why I use the Menzerna paint sealants. I think when I run out I'll try the Wolfgang! Yes, the Menzerna polishes are outstanding. I have used the "Intensive Polish" which I believe is now the 2200-2500 and the "Final Polish" which is now the 3000-3500? They have a bunch that I have not tried, but I want to keep it simple. I have found the "Intensive Polish" is only necessary every other or third year (I run up the canyons 30-40x/yr and they use A LOT of salt in the valley as well - Salt Lake City!) I use the "Final Polish" each time after decontaminating the paint surface with NanoSkin/AutoScrub pads. I have never used a paste wax over the sealer? Probably because I do a full paint "makeover" in the spring (March - after ski season) and in the late fall (October - before ski season). The sealer seems to protect & shine just fine for 6 months? With my allroad being silver and my new Ranger being Saber, I may try some wax to add warmth/depth to the shine. Thanks for the tips!

LightingBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
** Alert: personal opinions below, I have no data to back this up beyond my personal experience of about 2 bottles Menzerna Power Lock and maybe 6 bottles in total of Wolfgang v2.0 and v3.0 sealent **

Menzerna power lock sealent is indeed nice stuff. Superb durability (10/10), nice shine (7/10), great gloss (8/10), typical sealent warmth (3/10) and depth (4/10) with easy on/off (9/10).

Wolfgang v3.0 Sealent is on another level in terms of gloss and shine though. Durability is 7/10, shine is 10/10, gloss is 10/10, warmth is 3/10, depth is 5/10 and on/off 9/10.

There is such a small water content in a true paste wax (we're not talking about liquid paste waxes here, folks, but the proper hockey puck paste wax you have to drop out of the case to apply to your pad) that if you top v3.0 with it, the warmth and depth shoot up to at least an 8/10 with no sacrifice to shine or gloss. Especially on darker paint on a sunny day, you'll notice the difference if you're into detailing.

shred5

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
BAUER 6 In. 5.7 Amp Heavy Duty Dual Action Variable Speed Polisher.

Look at the reviews and can be had at a great price.

Dmax

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat 4x4
Vehicle Showcase
Chemical guys dual action polisher. Been able to remove all the scratches with their pads and products. Nice to have a truck with no blemishes when it’s newer. Hit me up for details.

pa-fatboy

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2016 Mustang GT Premium, 1966 Mustang Convertible C Code, 2019 Ford Fusion, 2005 Ford Focus ST
Vehicle Showcase
I will vouch for the porter cable as well. If it’s your first buffer, the PC Will be your friend for a long time. It’s price point is pretty sweet as well.

Like others have said already, go to the auto geek site and educate yourself on them if you have that level of interest. They have excellent videos and write-ups which show you the differences in the buffers.

Ranger8729

First Name
Ashley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1987 Ranger & 2019 Ranger
I've used both the Porter Cable and the Chemical Guys equipment. The PC has less vibration to me, but both work extremely well.

I also have good luck with the CG Hex pads. They cut nice and clean up very easy.

The Ol' Red got CG V38 followed by Glossworks Glaze and a top coat of Meguiars Carnauba Wax with that voodoo in a bottle TW ICE seal & shine.
IMG_20190803_113807.jpg

Magneto got a professional detail lol I let the pros work the flawless eggshell factory paint first.
IMG_20200125_123020.jpg
Sponsored