Things you did not know

NickTheEnforcer

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT Sport 4x4, 2020 Ford Escape Hybrid SE Sport AWD, 2009 Dodge Ram Big Horn Crew 4x4 HEMI
Occupation
Residential Construction Project Development & Purchasing.
I don’t know how popular it is to have 2 spark plugs per cylinder on cars anymore but many V-Twin motorcycles still have them
my 2009 Ram 1500 has a HEMI with a total of 16 plugs..
Sponsored

Doc

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 HPP Mustang, 2021 Ranger STX,2022 Subaru WRX
Occupation
Retired
There, they're, and their are 3 different words and are not interchangeable.... :LOL:
I before E, except after C....
Regards

Truckee Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT Supercrew 4 x 4; 2015 Nissan Murano; 2019 Honda CRF 250F; 2007 Kawasaki Vulcan;
Occupation
Construction Consultant
I had a '93 and I was blown away when I saw 2.3 was changed the ignition utilizing a new 8-plug. When I told people it had 8 plugs they were puzzled why, and I never knew why they did? I will say, the thing ran really smooth and quiet for a 4 banger!
Nissan Hardbody pickups had a 2.4 NAPZ engine with 2 plugs per cylinder back in the late 1980s. Similar to Ford, it seemed to help meet emission standards.

Rinn69

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCrew 4x4 Lightning Blue
Occupation
Retired USAF MSgt
Vehicle Showcase

Art S

First Name
Art
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4 Supercrew
Vehicle Showcase
Hi Jay,

The twin plug 2.3L was launched to improve combustion efficiency by establishing two flame fronts in the combustion chamber. There was a slight power gain in the motor, but really for emissions reasons. I kept joking to Engineering that while other manufacturers doubled the number of valves in the engine, ie 4 Valve cylinder heads, Ford chose to double the number of spark plugs.

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Retired
Why does the motorreviewer article say the Ranger has one spark plug? Does my 2019 Ranger have one or two plugs per cylinder?

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Why does the motorreviewer article say the Ranger has one spark plug? Does my 2019 Ranger have one or two plugs per cylinder?
Hi Art,

Different 2.3L in the 2019 Ranger than the old 2.3L Lima in the 3G Ranger... Make sense?

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

rooster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
STX FX4 SuperCrew
Occupation
engineering systems admin
Vehicle Showcase
When off-roading in the sand auto high beams do not activate automatically. This applies to dry sand, not wet. If the sand road is darker due to oil or water compaction treatment it should activate. My working theory is the sand is reflective back to the camera.
Auto hi beams do not work on snow covered roads too, recently learned here in the Northeast.

BigG

First Name
Geo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Ford F150
Great thread with a ton of good knowledge!

Floyd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger SCab,'16 Connect,'95 MustangGT,'50 Ford
The Lima Engine was a single cam, all cast iron engine with a timing belt. It was used in the first and second generation Ranger, also Pinto, and LOTS of other Ford products.
2.3L seems to be a sweet spot for Ford with at least 3 different unrelated 4Cyl engines ... Lima SOHC Cast Iron, HSC pushrod Cast Iron, Duratec DOHC Aluminum,

Reactions: Doc

khyros

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat Crewcab FX4
Vehicle Showcase
i before e, except after c, or in neighbor or weigh.... disproved by science. :p

DHMag

First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Crew cab, 22 Wrangler Willys
I don't know if it's just me but...

• With adaptive cruise engaged and behind a slower vehicle, when I put the turn signal on to change lanes, the truck starts to accelerate at a modest pace

OP
OP
SandBaja

SandBaja

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Silver FX4, 501A pkg, fully optioned,2012 Rubicon, 2017 Cherokee, 2018 Volt
Occupation
Almost retired
I don't know if it's just me but...

• With adaptive cruise engaged and behind a slower vehicle, when I put the turn signal on to change lanes, the truck starts to accelerate at a modest pace
It's not just you. I haven't had enough adaptive cruise time to be proficient but believe it works best when you plan you move(s) sooner than you might have without adaptive cruise. In other words, as you are closing to the front vehicle, start preparing to lane change before you would normally. Hold the turn signal until you are in the clear to move into the next lane.
Sponsored