NVHoonigan

First Name
Drew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Sport 4x4
Hi Folks,

Wife is a colorist...I made our 2nd bedroom into her Art studio, so she makes all color related decisions. I make all engineering related decisions but keep her in the loop. She is 5' 1½" so she gets any ingress/egress vote. She has yet to drive the Ranger, but that day is coming as I will be out of commission for some time with cataract surgery mid Dec...

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired
My wife went to school for graphic design so having the wrong colors and fonts are two of her biggest pet peeves in all situations. If it is cosmetic, it absolutely goes through her otherwise I won't hear the end of it if she doesn't like it!
Sponsored

jlmotox

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Vehicle Showcase
LOL NO! Not a chance! If I allowed that then there would be pink sparkly shit in my truck! NOPE! The only influence is over what I am allowed to spend that month... and even then it's easier to beg for forgiveness than ask for permission!

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase
Heck no, she doesn’t care, until are bank account starts to go down lol
My wife's my CFO so I get the same reminder at the end of the month:)

BDoc

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4 SCrew
Occupation
US Air Force, retired; now Civil Service (USAF)
Vehicle Showcase
Hell no! My truck, my decision. (she's standing behind me, isn't she?)

Most things I've done up to this point haven't been a huge expense (other than the truck itself). I did let her know when I bought the bed cover and bed extender since that was about $1200 combined. I also let her know I want to put new tires and the leveling kit on it. We both have slush accounts for things of non-necessity (is there really a 'non-necessity' for our trucks?). As long as we aren't dipping into household funds, we more or less buy what we want.

I do still get the eye-roll though.:crackup:

OP
OP
FULLSCALE

FULLSCALE

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4 Supercrew, 2011 Mazda 3 Sport GT-E, 1968 Ford Mustang
My wife went to school for graphic design so having the wrong colors and fonts are two of her biggest pet peeves in all situations. If it is cosmetic, it absolutely goes through her otherwise I won't hear the end of it if she doesn't like it!
My wife is a graphic designer as well. She’s the same way!

Mobius97

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat Fx4-Lotus Evora-Lotus Elise-BMW X7 M
For cosmetic changes, I typically ask to get her opinion on how it looks or if I am second guessing myself. I can be very OCD when it comes to car aesthetics. She is not a car person but has good taste, she typically likes the directions I choose to go though. Performance parts....clueless, she only wants to know how much it costs :)

RANGER_MARC

First Name
MARC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FORD RANGER LARIAT 2019
Occupation
TEACH
Vehicle Showcase
We try to run the household democratically, meaning each of us can veto any financially significant decisions of the other. In the case of the Ranger itself, since my wife does not drive at all, she let me get whatever vehicle I wanted but demanded a veto on the color. [I wanted black, she wanted saber, we compromised on blue, which we both like, as it turns out.] Minor mods like the bed mat or tailgate dampener, I just go ahead and buy them, and she either does not notice or does not care. I did discuss the Ford Performance Leveling kit with her, as it is an expensive proposition that raises the height of the front by two inches. She agreed that the stock ride was too bouncy and said that a slightly raised front would be no problem since we had the (stock) running boards on already. We are both happy with the leveling and the smoother ride, and I don't have any more mods on my mind beyond upgrading the stock Hankook ATM tires once we get some significant miles on them.

DJRPM4131

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT, 2016 Mazda CX-5
Hi Kent,

Thanks. I have put this off for several years and the procrastination paid off as they have new lenses that also correct for astigmatism which means for the first time since I was six years old, I will no longer need glasses. Not cheap at $1200 each eye, but likely worth it... I am nervous about it as if it goes wrong with sight being such a precious commodity....

best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired
I had Cataract Surgery a little over a year ago. It took a few months for me to get back to normal. But, It was worth it. I can see much better especially at night. Do the pre-surgery routine with the eye drops and the warm mask. You'll be fine. I always enjoy your comments Phil.

rang19ca

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4X4 2024 Escape ST-Line
Occupation
Retired Diesel Mechanic
I do whatever............is she looking? No I talk every mod over with her and she has been ok with it. If it is pricey, then i won't do it if she is not on board. So far she is on board !:clap:

Hack_Actual

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4
My wife of 15 years knows me well enough by now to know that if I want something, I’m going to get it; having said that, she also knows that I won’t ever put us in a bad situation and trusts me. I talk to her about truck stuff and her responses are feigned interest anyway...much like when she talks to me about Facebook drama...:LOL:

Probably not going to mention the Stage 3 Icon Suspension I just bought though...

RANGER_MARC

First Name
MARC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FORD RANGER LARIAT 2019
Occupation
TEACH
Vehicle Showcase
Yes, I did discuss my latest modification scheme, the Ford Performance Power Pack, with my spouse yesterday. Here's how it went:

"Honey, I want to order this modification for the Ranger."
"What do you need it for?"
"I don't need it. It's a toy."
"How much?"
"In the neighborhood of $800.00."
"O.K."

Is my wife cool, or what?

viperwolf

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Everest 4x4 Titanium BI Turbo, 2015 Ford Ecosport Titanium
Occupation
Retired Military
Some of these are funny,

I always discuss heavy financial ideas, bc I want to know her opinion. I dont need her permission for anything, but I care about her opinion. Her ideas and overview has changed my mind a couple of times. I always tell her, dont ask to get your nails done, buy some clothes, makeup or whatever you need. Just let me know the amount so I can balance the book and keep our finances in order. I have a habit of backing myself out of things I want anyway, but she will just tell me to go for it. She knows Im responsible with our money. I always end buying her clothes over mine, she tries to talk me out of it but something in me wants her to have it first.
After 8 years We still surprise each other with gifts and I still (waste money ) I mean buy her flowers and stuff like that.
When it comes to vehicles, I just say. Hey babe, Im thinking of getting this for this amount of money. Her reply always is, ok babe just get it, if thats what you want. However I want her involved, I just explain what it is, what its for, and does she think its good idea. Thats respect for each other and it works great!!!!!!
I make sure she does not go without (within reason) , in return she wants the same for me.
She is the biggest blessing in my life, but she says the same about me.

Last edited:

pa-fatboy

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2016 Mustang GT Premium, 1966 Mustang Convertible C Code, 2019 Ford Fusion, 2005 Ford Focus ST
Vehicle Showcase
Yes, I did discuss my latest modification scheme, the Ford Performance Power Pack, with my spouse yesterday. Here's how it went:

"I don't need it. It's a toy."
"How much?"
"O.K."

Is my wife cool, or what?
Your wife is cool. I had the exact same discussion for the Ford Performance Power Pack with a different ending:

"I don't need it. It will add horsepower.”
"How much?"
"Are you fricking insane?”

I have to admit, she’s right. For the time being, I need to cool my heels a bit. She did agree on functional mods like the MX4, Line-X, Husky Mats and a 12v outlet in the bed... “

I do have the stage 2 performance pack from ford on my 2016 Mustang GT. She is familiar with them.
Sponsored