Pre-Delivery Warranty Claim - Rain Sensing Wipers!?!?!

Atxjmy512

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4
Not quite sure what category to put this under, but wanted to get some thoughts.

Have had my ranger for about a week, noticed that my auto sensing wipers weren't working correctly (I made sure to have the option enabled in settings, and the stalk set to auto, and sensitivity properly adjusted). They either didn't turn on at all, or if they did they treated mist and light rain like a torrential down pour and then turned off abruptly.

Took at a look at the lens, and it looks all sorts of fubar. There's dirt, finger prints and some sort of black glue on the underside of the glass blocking the lens from detecting water properly.

Every one agree this doesn't look normal?

IMG_0889.JPG
Sponsored

OP
OP

Atxjmy512

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'm trying to figure out how to delete this and repost it in "issues"... apologies.

uthunter

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 F-350 CC & 2019 Ranger Lariat Sport & 2005 Ford Explorer Sport Trac - SuperCharged
The gel sensor on mine was replaced under warranty. No big deal.

OP
OP

Atxjmy512

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The gel sensor on mine was replaced under warranty. No big deal.
Yeah, i just crawled up there to get a closer look and that's exactly how i would describe it. Gel. The gel appears to have loosened up and peeled away from the windshield. But there's also that finger print. Hoping they can just wipe it off, and re-apply. I know they'll fix it, my bigger concern is timing. Our dealers here are always really backed up. One told me end of Jan for a minor thing on my wife's Explorer. Yikes!

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
I just thought of a way to figure out who was responsible for this!

OP
OP

Atxjmy512

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I just thought of a way to figure out who was responsible for this!
Yep! looks like there are a couple of things going on... In addition to the finger prints, the adhesive let go, so its not sitting flush with the windshield. Hopefully, its a quick, easy fix.

Lunchbox88

First Name
Logan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger SuperCrew FX4
Have had my ranger for about a week, noticed that my auto sensing wipers weren't working correctly (I made sure to have the option enabled in settings, and the stalk set to auto, and sensitivity properly adjusted). They either didn't turn on at all, or if they did they treated mist and light rain like a torrential down pour and then turned off abruptly.

Took at a look at the lens, and it looks all sorts of fubar. There's dirt, finger prints and some sort of black glue on the underside of the glass blocking the lens from detecting water properly. It seems to be detaching from the glass as well, and is sitting partially attached and partially hanging.

Every one agree this doesn't look normal?

My dealer of choice for warranty work (not the dealer i purchased from) says its a pre-delivery warranty claim and i have to take it back to the selling dealer for repair...Good thing i didn't purchase this truck at a far away dealer.

IMG_0889.JPG
Yep, if those marks are on the inside of the glass then that definitely needs to be addressed by the dealer. Seems like a sloppy install job to me.

OP
OP

Atxjmy512

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yep, if those marks are on the inside of the glass then that definitely needs to be addressed by the dealer. Seems like a sloppy install job to me.
I've cleaned that glass at least half a dozen times thinking that maybe I'm wrong, and nope... 100% under the glass. Fun stuff!

OP
OP

Atxjmy512

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dealer corrected pretty quickly. They had to order replace the sensor. All good now.

Murphie

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat 4X2, 2023 Hyundai Santa Fe
Occupation
Financial Auditor - Retired
Yeah, i just crawled up there to get a closer look and that's exactly how i would describe it. Gel. The gel appears to have loosened up and peeled away from the windshield. But there's also that finger print. Hoping they can just wipe it off, and re-apply. I know they'll fix it, my bigger concern is timing. Our dealers here are always really backed up. One told me end of Jan for a minor thing on my wife's Explorer. Yikes!
I've wondered how the wipers detected moisture. I shuddered to think that it was something in the windshield - making any potential replacement very costly. But I can't figure out where that gel sensor is. I've looked all over and around my windshield, and still can't find it. So exactly where is that sensor? :confused:

OP
OP

Atxjmy512

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I've wondered how the wipers detected moisture. I shuddered to think that it was something in the windshield - making any potential replacement very costly. But I can't figure out where that gel sensor is. I've looked all over and around my windshield, and still can't find it. So exactly where is that sensor? :confused:
It’s actually not really that expensive believe it or not. Mine was obviously free but the sensor they replaced was only $60 on ford parts.com and the labor involved is minimal - pull off the plastic mirror housing and unplug the sensor / plug the new one in. I’ve had this on my past 3 cars and this is the first time I’ve ever had a problem - so think they are pretty durable. They work by detecting changes in light caused by water on windshield.

As far as where it is - it’s part of the rear view mirror housing. If you are facing your truck, you’ll see the front camera (trapezoid shape) that’s used for lane keep. The rain sensor is a circle sensor just above and to the left of that. It’s hard to see unless you have perfect lighting because when installed correctly it’s jet back and matches the black paint on that part of the windshield.