Hounddog409

First Name
Tod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Vehicle Showcase
I've been looking at either some Falken Wildpeaks (which I know a handful of people on here have already) or the Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs (my brother had those on his Ranger in college and swears by them and will probably get them for his next truck whenever he gets it). Either of those will put me back at least $800. But again, not going to do anything for a little bit, until these either wear out or I get fed up with them.

Crazy that you say that, because I grew up in the UP and actually went to college at Michigan Tech in Houghton! So I'm well acquainted with bad winter driving. haha One of the reasons I'm so invested in good tires and everything, because I know just how bad it can get and how much help they can be. Especially on a winters night trip across the UP.
The Falkens are better in the snow than the Goodyear.

Would give the edge to GY for off road.

I went with the Falkens since i am in the NE ohio snowbelt and see more snow than i need to.
Sponsored

DeathRanger

First Name
Peyton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat Sport 4x4
Occupation
IT
Vehicle Showcase
Picked up my new Sabre Ranger about a month ago. Already put 2k miles on it and I love it. I've had multiple other Rangers over the years but don't miss the 04 I traded in one bit. Still got an old 2000 Mandarin Copper with a blown 3.0 in the garage I need to get fixing on. The 2000 will always be my first love but the new Ranger is pretty great

IMG_20191014_184637.jpg

Deleted member 1634

The Falkens are better in the snow than the Goodyear.

Would give the edge to GY for off road.

I went with the Falkens since i am in the NE ohio snowbelt and see more snow than i need to.
Hmm, good to know. Thanks for that! I'm not concerned with off-road performance, since any tire I upgrade to will be sufficient for the type of off-roading I do. So maybe the Falkens are the way to go. I'll look into them more, since I'm the kind of guy who can never have too much information on a subject, let alone a future purchase. haha

Deleted member 1634

We got 24" at our house just outside Duluth this past weekend. Spent 6 hours yesterday snowblowing and shoveling the driveway. Drift in front of the garage was 3 feet, the yard was up to my thighs, and the plow bank was up to my chest. The snowblower kept breaking down, either because of bad gas or something in the fuel system, so after a dozen times of restarting it, getting only a couple passes, and it sputtering to a stop again, I decided to make a run to the gas station down the road for some fresh gas and fuel treatment. I had cleared the area in front of the garage and part of the driveway, but not the plow bank yet. So I put the truck in 4H normal mode, had my wife out on the road making sure no one was coming, and I just blasted through the bank. It was probably about 10 feet long, headlight deep, and packed pretty good, but the truck didn't miss a beat. Slowed down slightly just from the impact, as snow slid up onto the hood, but no tire slippage and no intervention from the electronics. Granted the rest of the drive to the gas station the front parking sensors were going crazy because they were packed with snow though. haha

IMG_20191201_164114314.jpg

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
We got 24" at our house just outside Duluth this past weekend. Spent 6 hours yesterday snowblowing and shoveling the driveway. Drift in front of the garage was 3 feet, the yard was up to my thighs, and the plow bank was up to my chest. The snowblower kept breaking down, either because of bad gas or something in the fuel system, so after a dozen times of restarting it, getting only a couple passes, and it sputtering to a stop again, I decided to make a run to the gas station down the road for some fresh gas and fuel treatment. I had cleared the area in front of the garage and part of the driveway, but not the plow bank yet. So I put the truck in 4H normal mode, had my wife out on the road making sure no one was coming, and I just blasted through the bank. It was probably about 10 feet long, headlight deep, and packed pretty good, but the truck didn't miss a beat. Slowed down slightly just from the impact, as snow slid up onto the hood, but no tire slippage and no intervention from the electronics. Granted the rest of the drive to the gas station the front parking sensors were going crazy because they were packed with snow though. haha

IMG_20191201_164114314.jpg
NICE!! That would have been fun....

On a completely unrelated note - I've changed over to running non ethanol gas in all my "occasional" engines (lawn mower, weed wacker, chainsaw, pressure washer, etc). It has saved me multiple issues. Before when using ethanol I would be cleaning out fuel systems or replacing gummed up carbs regularly. The gas is more expensive, but it it WELL worth the money, IMO. I'm fortunate to have two places close by that sell it.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee

On a completely unrelated note - I've changed over to running non ethanol gas in all my "occasional" engines (lawn mower, weed wacker, chainsaw, pressure washer, etc). It has saved me multiple issues. Before when using ethanol I would be cleaning out fuel systems or replacing gummed up carbs regularly. The gas is more expensive, but it it WELL worth the money, IMO. I'm fortunate to have two places close by that sell it.
Not to totally highjack this thread but have you tried using Sta-Bil before storing these? I had 2 pressure washers for work and all my lawn and snowblower stuff back east and never had any problems when using Sta-Bil. Right now they're having a 25% off sale with free shipping using Code: CYBERMONDAY19 at checkout.

https://www.goldeagle.com/product/?...ChhGs0fPTm8n0w96SKvqS23QXC9mQA&_hsmi=80013608

Deleted member 1634

I wish I could've enjoyed it. But unfortunately I was tired from snowblowing and shoveling for the last 5 hrs, not happy about having to go to the gas station, and disappointed that I still wasn't done. Also, I was worried the bank was going to be too hard and damage something. In hindsight, I wish I had had more fun doing it, and that my wife had taken a video. Maybe the next storm. haha

I have been doing that with my small engines the last couple years. I think for me it was just that particular gas I had put in there last was no good. Bottom of the can or something to that affect. Needed some fresh stuff to pump through it's veins.

Not to totally highjack this thread but have you tried using Sta-Bil before storing these? I had 2 pressure washers for work and all my lawn and snowblower stuff back east and never had any problems when using Sta-Bil.
We've always used stabil in our seasonal engines (lawn mower, boat, plow truck, snow blower). It really is a nice thing to use and it's easy to do.

Deleted member 1634

Another thing I've noticed as a benefit to our color choice, is that the Saber color seems to be one of the best for not showing winter coatings. The salt just adds a bit of lighter color to it, and the sand blends right in. It all just gives a more faded color and a bit more texture. haha

IMG_20191213_114623525_HDR.jpg

IMG_20191214_144736373_HDR.jpg

DavidR

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Supercab Saber FX4
Occupation
Engineer

Never thought of that, might try it. For the small engines (snowblower, weed trimmer), I've always just shut off the gas and let the carb run dry to avoid too much gumming up, especially when I know I might not be using it for several weeks. It works, but is kind of a hassle, and you don't want to leave it dry for too long -- I always run the snowblower a few times during the summer. We're in a sparsely populated area, so I'm, not sure where to find non-ethanol fuel, but it sounds like it might be worth a look.

I've given up on chainsaws, LOL. We use them about once a year, which makes them a pain to keep in good running condition, so we just rent them now.

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Never thought of that, might try it. For the small engines (snowblower, weed trimmer), I've always just shut off the gas and let the carb run dry to avoid too much gumming up, especially when I know I might not be using it for several weeks. It works, but is kind of a hassle, and you don't want to leave it dry for too long -- I always run the snowblower a few times during the summer. We're in a sparsely populated area, so I'm, not sure where to find non-ethanol fuel, but it sounds like it might be worth a look.

I've given up on chainsaws, LOL. We use them about once a year, which makes them a pain to keep in good running condition, so we just rent them now.
You might be surprised - it seems like it is becoming more common to see it being offered at gas stations.

As a side benefit - I've noticed the engines actually run better with the non ethanol - my old chainsaw used to have a hard time idling for any period - with the non ethanol, it runs GREAT.

Edit: I just googled "where to find non ethanol gas" and it came up with a few stations near me - that might a good spot to start. The other thing I found was this site:

https://www.pure-gas.org/

It has all the stations I know about locally that offer it, so that sounds promising as well.

DavidR

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer
Another thing I've noticed as a benefit to our color choice, is that the Saber color seems to be one of the best for not showing winter coatings. The salt just adds a bit of lighter color to it, and the sand blends right in. It all just gives a more faded color and a bit more texture. haha
It's really an awesome color. I'm not surprised Ford used it pretty extensively in their advertising, though it seems they're mixing it up more now. I'm glad they carried it over for 2020 - I was wondering if they would because at least around here in most of CA, you don't see many Sabers on dealer lots and I think I've only ever seen one other on the road. The dealers seem to think it's a "risky" color or something and mostly stick to the various shades of non-color (white, silver, gray, black) and occasional a blue or red one.

Once in a while, I find a Saber buddy to park next to even if it's not a Ranger :D ...

saber_small.jpg

Last edited:

DavidR

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer
You might be surprised - it seems like it is becoming more common to see it being offered at gas stations.

As a side benefit - I've noticed the engines actually run better with the non ethanol - my old chainsaw used to have a hard time idling for any period - with the non ethanol, it runs GREAT.

Edit: I just googled "where to find non ethanol gas" and it came up with a few stations near me - that might a good spot to start. The other thing I found was this site:

https://www.pure-gas.org/

It has all the stations I know about locally that offer it, so that sounds promising as well.
Whad'ya know, there's one in Gardnerville and one in Carson City! We go through there a fair amount this time of year. I'll try it out :)

Do you think it would still benefit from Sta-bil just for longevity?

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Whad'ya know, there's one in Gardnerville and one in Carson City! We go through there a fair amount this time of year. I'll try it out :)

Do you think it would still benefit from Sta-bil just for longevity?
I don't use any stabilzer with the non ethanol. You can't keep it in the tank FOREVER, but it still seems fine after a year or even two.

DavidR

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer
I don't use any stabilzer with the non ethanol. You can't keep it in the tank FOREVER, but it still seems fine after a year or even two.
Sounds good, I'll definitely try it out - might even make owning s chainsaw worth it again ;)
I don't want to spend too much time off-topic, but thanks for pointing this out!
Sponsored

Last edited: