Things you did not know

SandBaja

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Silver FX4, 501A pkg, fully optioned,2012 Rubicon, 2017 Cherokee, 2018 Volt
Occupation
Almost retired
When off-roading in the sand auto high beams do not activate automatically. This applies to dry sand, not wet. If the sand road is darker due to oil or water compaction treatment it should activate. My working theory is the sand is reflective back to the camera.
Sponsored

MTB-BRUH

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Base
Occupation
Shop Manager
The 2.3 is the same of a 70’s Pinto just direct injected and a turbo slapped on.

fusseli

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat FX4 White Platinum Tri-Coat
Occupation
EE
Vehicle Showcase
The 2.3 is the same of a 70’s Pinto just direct injected and a turbo slapped on.
Displacement and cylinder count are the same, engine is quite different. I have a turbo Lima and the new, unnamed, 2.3 in the Ranger

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SuperCab XL - FX4 - Magnetic - Rocksliders
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
Last edited:

Traneman

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger STX 4x4
I had a '93 and I was blown away when I saw 2.3 was changed the ignition utilizing a new 8-plug. When I told people it had 8 plugs they were puzzled why, and I never knew why they did? I will say, the thing ran really smooth and quiet for a 4 banger!

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I had a '93 and I was blown away when I saw 2.3 was changed the ignition utilizing a new 8-plug. When I told people it had 8 plugs they were puzzled why, and I never knew why they did? I will say, the thing ran really smooth and quiet for a 4 banger!
Hi Jay,

The twin plug 2.3L was launched to improve combustion efficiency by establishing two flame fronts in the combustion chamber. There was a slight power gain in the motor, but really for emissions reasons. I kept joking to Engineering that while other manufacturers doubled the number of valves in the engine, ie 4 Valve cylinder heads, Ford chose to double the number of spark plugs.

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Retired

MTB-BRUH

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Base
Occupation
Shop Manager
Hi Jay,

The twin plug 2.3L was launched to improve combustion efficiency by establishing two flame fronts in the combustion chamber. There was a slight power gain in the motor, but really for emissions reasons. I kept joking to Engineering that while other manufacturers doubled the number of valves in the engine, ie 4 Valve cylinder heads, Ford chose to double the number of spark plugs.

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Retired
I don’t know how popular it is to have 2 spark plugs per cylinder on cars anymore but many V-Twin motorcycles still have them

DHMag

First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Crew cab, 22 Wrangler Willys
Hi Jay,

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Retired

Years ago on another Ranger forum, a guy turned the 8 plug ignition into a primary and secondary ignition. There were power gains but I don't know how much. I imagine it would be like the secondaries opening on the SHO or a 4 barrel carburetor.

FULLSCALE

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4 Supercrew, 2011 Mazda 3 Sport GT-E, 1968 Ford Mustang
I don’t know how popular it is to have 2 spark plugs per cylinder on cars anymore but many V-Twin motorcycles still have them
Not sure if either still do but some of the 5.7L Hemi and the Ford 6.2L have 2 per cylinder.

Rinn69

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCrew 4x4 Lightning Blue
Occupation
Retired USAF MSgt
Vehicle Showcase
There, they're, and their are 3 different words and are not interchangeable.... :LOL:

Mokume

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Ranger Supercab (sold 12/19) , 2002 Honda CR-V
Occupation
Retired Firefighter III, Honolulu Fire Department
Hi Jay,

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Retired
Nissan (Datsun) accomplished the same with their line of "Naps-Z" 4 cyls. from the early eighties. These were well known for their durability and did not suffer from headgasket issues that the "L" series of engines were infamous for.
My brother owned a beater '82 Nissan pickup which he bought for $50 in the early nineties, the reason why it was so cheap was that the body had rust holes big enough to stick your fist through, he must of slathered gallons of "Bondo" on that thing. Not sure if they were still called "Lil Hustlers" back then, but the rot that poor thing had done tremendous amounts of "hustling".
Body rot aside, that little 4 banger ran like a top, 8 spark plugs and all.
Sponsored