Help me decide between Ranger and F150

Leo.c

First Name
Leo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4, 2018 Explorer Platinum
Funny because for the first two weeks I owned mine I didn't have any seat covers on them and it didn't bother me one bit and it was 108 out. There aren't to many places in the US where it gets much hotter than here either. :sun: It's so dusty here I'd hate to see what cloth seats would be like. I do wish they'd offered cooled seats as the heated seats are useless for me.
I agree, the ventilation setting for the seats on the Explorer stay on *high* most of the year here in NC. Maybe during the next redesign there will be a full Lariat with ventilated/heated/massaging (don't judge on the massaging until you have tried it) seats, heated steering wheel and 60/40 folding rear seat.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
Hi Dave,

I second the leather seats in the hot weather are no bother, but with my bum back, heated seats even in hot weather are great!

best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired
Hi Phil,

It would be nice to have the option to adjust the seat and the back separately. I would love to have just the back of the seat heated as I have a bum back too, but it's just to hot for my bum lol

I agree, the ventilation setting for the seats on the Explorer stay on *high* most of the year here in NC. Maybe during the next redesign there will be a full Lariat with ventilated/heated/massaging (don't judge on the massaging until you have tried it) seats, heated steering wheel and 60/40 folding rear seat.
Oh I would love a massaging seat! I use to have a massage chair in my house back east where you could set a program and time,never left that chair! I probably would never want to get out of my truck if I had that. :D

Leo.c

First Name
Leo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4, 2018 Explorer Platinum
Hi Phil,

It would be nice to have the option to adjust the seat and the back separately. I would love to have just the back of the seat heated as I have a bum back too, but it's just to hot for my bum lol

Oh I would love a massaging seat! I use to have a massage chair in my house back east where you could set a program and time,never left that chair! I probably would never want to get out of my truck if I had that. :D
It's an option in other vehicles like the F150s (also in my Platinum) and it would be nice if they started implementing it in the Ranger.

svache

First Name
JJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat SuperCrew Saber, 2012 BMW 328i
Vehicle Showcase
Lol I had those ventilated seats in my Explorer, left them off most of the time, even though I always parked in the sun. I felt it didn't really cool things down, except that it gave me the feeling of having peed my pants :LOL::LOL:

That said, the Ranger does get a lot hotter on the inside than my Explorer did.. not sure why that is, I kinda expected it to be the other way around seeing as the Explorer has more windows. I always find myself having to cover up the front window with shades, where I never had to do this with the Explorer :S

Pacc

First Name
Leonardo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT, FX4
Test drove and got numbers on two trucks last night. I don't have the exact numbers on hand, but I think this is pretty close:

2019 F150 XLT 4WD extended cab, 6.5 bed, 3.3L 6 speed auto, Oxford White
302a option package
Chrome package
Tow package
Running boards
3.73 locking diff
approx. $33,000

2019 Ranger XLT crew cab 4WD Oxford White
302a option package
Chrome package
Tow package
Sport appearance package
Running boards
approx. $35,000

I really like both trucks, but as I've read many comments here, the F150 is soooo big. I think I'd be able to fit in my garage, barely, if I rearrange some work benches, etc. I do like the cavernous interior and the the large bed.

The ranger has more bells and whistles, and I like the powertrain and how it handles. Nice to have a more compact package - more manageable. I live in the frozen north, and the truck will be used for typical suburban homeowner stuff, commuting, and towing a small enclosed trailer with a Harley in it when I need to get away from here in the winter.

Seems a little strange that the bigger truck is cheaper, I imagine Ford wants to maintain its sales leadership in full size trucks. I assume people here will say Ranger, but please give me a reasoned argument why I should pay more for that truck. I appreciate the feedback.

Honestly, it depends on your needs. If you are a contractor type and will never be hauling more then 500 pounds or so, ranger all day.
If you will ever have to tow anything in the ballpark of 4K+ pounds, go with the F-150. If you will be towing regularly, get the powerstroke!

chuck stein

First Name
chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma-now-gone
You agree? He was saying there was no need for ventilated leather seats, but you say you keep your seats on all the time.

My lexus is leather but no vented seats, I sweat on those. My MB has vented seats and it's 100x better than the lexus (in terms of seats only). My Tacoma was cloth, never did sweat on those seats.

Oxfordcc

First Name
James D. Smith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger STX
Test drove and got numbers on two trucks last night. I don't have the exact numbers on hand, but I think this is pretty close:

2019 F150 XLT 4WD extended cab, 6.5 bed, 3.3L 6 speed auto, Oxford White
302a option package
Chrome package
Tow package
Running boards
3.73 locking diff
approx. $33,000

2019 Ranger XLT crew cab 4WD Oxford White
302a option package
Chrome package
Tow package
Sport appearance package
Running boards
approx. $35,000

I really like both trucks, but as I've read many comments here, the F150 is soooo big. I think I'd be able to fit in my garage, barely, if I rearrange some work benches, etc. I do like the cavernous interior and the the large bed.

The ranger has more bells and whistles, and I like the powertrain and how it handles. Nice to have a more compact package - more manageable. I live in the frozen north, and the truck will be used for typical suburban homeowner stuff, commuting, and towing a small enclosed trailer with a Harley in it when I need to get away from here in the winter.

Seems a little strange that the bigger truck is cheaper, I imagine Ford wants to maintain its sales leadership in full size trucks. I assume people here will say Ranger, but please give me a reasoned argument why I should pay more for that truck. I appreciate the feedback.

Here is my truck day one and still just love it. I traded my 2016 Ford F150 STX which I liked but for what I used it for it was always to big for the small jobs and would fit just right into my garage. I got it in but was much room to detail the truck inside and could always get the door open all the way.
My new Ranger now has almost 7,000 miles and have taken it on a few trip up into the mountains of New Year with my trailer and had no problems hauling it. It doesn't get all the gas mileage that is on the sticker but ride so nice. I would look next time in upgrading the tires to Goodyear Wrangler with keviar which were on the F150. Good luck in your search and can't go wrong with either truck, later..

DSCN2562.JPG

dambrian

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Hey OP,

It seems like to me you've answered your question already about which vehicle to purchase. After reading the thread, you should get the Ranger. I see you're worried about resale value as well? My question to you is, how long do you plan on keeping this vehicle? Because if it is 5+ years, then don't worry about resale value. If less than that, then what do you plan on doing with your vehicle? Both vehicles have different capabilities.

For instance, I purchased my Ranger in July but it was between an F-150 and a Ranger. The F-150 did not fit in my garage and I didn't need a full size truck, no kids. But right now, in NC, there is currently $5,550.00 Rebates for the XLT 301A-302A. So that makes a huge difference between a F-150 302A. Usually, the prices on a well equipped Ranger is about $39k - $41k, so now you can get one in the low $30k's.

DJS 60

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Escape Ford Ranger
Occupation
Ironworker
I currently have a 2015 supercab xlt sport fx4. I ordered a 2020 Ranger supercab sport fx4, I hope to have it by the end of the year. My F150 has a 2.7 ecoboost and is quick and fun to drive. But I don't need a big truck and it barely fits in my garage. I am a little aprehensive about the 10 speed transmission and probably be disappointed that it won't get much better fuel economy than my F150 but I am excited about making the change. Like others have said if you are going to do any towing at all l would go with the F150.

FULLSCALE

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4 Supercrew, 2011 Mazda 3 Sport GT-E, 1968 Ford Mustang
I currently have a 2015 supercab xlt sport fx4. I ordered a 2020 Ranger supercab sport fx4, I hope to have it by the end of the year. My F150 has a 2.7 ecoboost and is quick and fun to drive. But I don't need a big truck and it barely fits in my garage. I am a little aprehensive about the 10 speed transmission and probably be disappointed that it won't get much better fuel economy than my F150 but I am excited about making the change. Like others have said if you are going to do any towing at all l would go with the F150.
Once you get it and put some miles on the 10 speed you won’t regret your decision!

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
I'm not sure I would say "if you do any towing at all" - I've towed 2000 lbs with my Ranger and it had absolutely NO issues whatsoever - I didn't even know the trailer was back there. I would say if you are towing 5000 lbs plus on any regular schedule then I think it might make sense to get an F-150. But the Ranger does REALLY well at towing.

I was also apprehensive about the 10 speed, but my concerns were totally unfounded. It is an exceptional transmission I think.

chuck stein

First Name
chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma-now-gone
Why not wait until July when you can order a 2021 Ranger? 2021 Ranger can tow almost anything the 150 can.

DJS 60

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Escape Ford Ranger
Occupation
Ironworker
Why not wait until July when you can order a 2021 Ranger? 2021 Ranger can tow almost anything the 150 can.
Because I don't do any towing and don't need a big truck. There is no way
of knowing the 2021 will be different than the current model and l have been planning this for a while and it's the right time for me.

chuck stein

First Name
chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma-now-gone
Because I don't do any towing and don't need a big truck. There is no way
of knowing the 2021 will be different than the current model and l have been planning this for a while and it's the right time for me.
Ah, then a 4banger Ranger seems like perfect fit for you.