How to avoid braking tabs while removing front grill.

aubuchon

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Thanks to member Greatlakespilot for submitting this guide. This is not a complete guide that covers all steps but only a supplement that covers the tab breakage issue. There are several complete guides on youtube with complete directions.
This is a direct quote from Kyle (Greatlakespilot) from another thread in marketplace.
"To remove it without breaking tabs takes patience, a few cuss words and beer. But I’ll try to explain.

Once you have only the tabs left holding the grill in place, you need to release the tabs using a stubby flat head screw driver. Insert the screw driver onto the top of the tab, not underneath it. On the top as in looking down between the back of the grill and the radiator. WEAR GLOVES or you will bleed. As you are looking down, you will see where the tabs are sticking out, insert the screw driver on the top of the tab, and work it inward toward you, until you can feel the little lip of the plastic stopping any more movement of the head of the screw driver. Then you will need to force the screw driver downward and rearward to push the tab downward to release it. This is for the five tabs at the bottom of the grill. Once you get one to release, you will need to pull out on the bottom of the grill to get the grill to slide out toward you, so the tab can’t lock back into place. Start at one side, and work your way over to the opposite side on the other 4 tabs until you can get the grill pulled out far enough that the grill releases. The most difficult one will be the center tab, as it is locked into a molded part of the front clip that covers more of the tab, not allowing you much room to work the screw driver in there. So start at one side and keep working to the opposite and pulling the grill outward enough to keep the tabs from locking again. Now, this is just for the bottom 5 tabs. To be able to get the grill to pull out from the bottom toward you, you will need to release the two tabs on the side of the grill near the headlight. There is one on each side. I used a really long plastic trim tool to reach down and put pressure on the tab/clip, and pushed in on it to release it and then pull the grill outward from the headlight. The grill will want to pull away from the side clips pretty easily, but will want to go back into position and therefore having the tab snap back in. I used another trim tool on each side, and wedged it in between the grill and the headlight to keep it from clipping back in once I had the clip released. You can work the grill pretty good with some pressure without breaking any tabs. Don’t be to shy with it, but not to much pressure either. With a flashlight, you can look next to the headlight and the grill, behind the rubber flap/guard and clearly see the side clips. Just use a long skinny tool to be able to put pressure on the clip pushing toward the headlight and at the same time pulling the grill toward you. So once the side clips are released, pick a side and start working Bottom tabs one by one to the opposite side you started and keep working the grill outward toward you. It takes some finagling and bending etc, but it does come out. I’m not great at writing directions, sorry!"
Sponsored

OP
OP

aubuchon

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
I also found a video from a guide to remove headlights that shows the tabs up close and where to place pressure for leverage.The grill section starts at about 2 minutes 45 seconds into it. Not as thorough as Kyle but gives you the general idea.
Sponsored