Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
31 Ford-20 Ranger Lariat FX4- 19 Ranger Lariat 4x2
Occupation
retired mechanic
vehicle (2).png

I'm like you. I'm excited for my 2020 Lariat FX2
My order is going to be submitted on Presidents Day in Feb.
Should get it in early April
I wish my 4x2 truck had a stance like that instead of sitting rear high
Sponsored

NickTheEnforcer

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT Sport 4x4, 2020 Ford Escape Hybrid SE Sport AWD, 2009 Dodge Ram Big Horn Crew 4x4 HEMI
Occupation
Residential Construction Project Development & Purchasing.
Given the very minor changes from 2019 to 2020 I bet there won't be much fundamentally different about 2021 either. I can't imagine them making big changes in 2021 just to turnaround and release the "all new" 2022. I am sure there will be cosmetic changes and shuffling of packages but it wouldn't surprise me if innovative changes are being reserved for the all-new model.
I would guess minor tech changes, reshuffles or feature adds like Alexa, etc. Its nice to see though.

NickTheEnforcer

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT Sport 4x4, 2020 Ford Escape Hybrid SE Sport AWD, 2009 Dodge Ram Big Horn Crew 4x4 HEMI
Occupation
I can see now that this Ranger is what it is and isn't going to be anything else. Except for changing what's in the packages with what already available and a few new exterior colors this Ranger is the stop gap truck everyone has talked about until the next gen arrives. Don't get me wrong I love my truck and don't regret one minute of owner her but I had higher hopes that Ford would up the ante and make the Ranger the true top truck in the mid size truck field.
I hear what you are saying, we all like it to some degree or we obviously would NOT have voted with our dollars and bought one. I'd be interested to see what it evolves into and judge it at that point. Also how the one I just bought 4 mos ago ages. If FoMoCo is smart they are taking in all the comments good/bad for the 6th Gen-version.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I hear what you are saying, we all like it to some degree or we obviously would NOT have voted with our dollars and bought one. I'd be interested to see what it evolves into and judge it at that point. Also how the one I just bought 4 mos ago ages. If FoMoCo is smart they are taking in all the comments good/bad for the 6th Gen-version.
Hi Anthony,

Unfortunately I cannot give Ford Marketing high marks for being on the pulse of the industry. Been burned by them so many times....I really distrust them to make the the right decision for Gen 6... I also believe that the Aussie engineers are again lead on the program..

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

ausable

First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2018 F-150
Vehicle Showcase
I made a promise to myself when rumors started flying about Ford bringing the Ranger back that I would own one.
My present truck is a 2000 SuperCab which I special ordered back in Sept.1999 and took delivery of on Nov. 7, 1999.
It is presently listed on Facebook Marketplace and C/List for sale, it has been a reliable truck with practically no mechanical issues at all.
But, its time to move on, my 2020 SuperCab is scheduled for production next Monday, 11/25.
It's been 20 years since I indulged myself vehicle wise, I think it's about time :turkey:
Same here. Had a pre-cursor 1976 Courrier, 1984 Ranger, 1990 Ranger, 1994 Ranger, 2005 Ranger, in other words, all the previous generations accounted for. I was forced get a truck two years ago, so settled for basic F150. Nice truck, but have been lusting over the Gen 5. Thought I'd wait 'til these 2020's, but with the massive incentives announced last week, we jumped. Simply aren't gonna likely see $8-$9K off sticker again 'til late model year. No reason to wait and so glad we didn't. Don't have 100 miles on it yet.

Last edited:

Texasota

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT, 2023 Escape PHEV
Just checked it out glad I got my 2019 Ranger. The prices are higher and with the XLT if you get any package above base you get the Sport Appearance Package. Not only does it increase the price of the package I don't like the black out bumpers.
I think this is a bug in the configurator. I added and removed the chrome package and that resulted in the Sport Appearance Package being substituted in and I could not get rid of it.

ausable

First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2018 F-150
Vehicle Showcase
I think this is a bug in the configurator. I added and removed the chrome package and that resulted in the Sport Appearance Package being substituted in and I could not get rid of it.
Don't hold me to this, but once you're beyond the XLT 300 package, the Sport Appearance is now standard. You can substitute the sport appearance with Chrome Package. If you delete the Chrome Package, the Sport Appearance goes back in. That's what I found anyhow. I saw this change months ago when Ford released the fleet ordering guide. This is the way I understood it, in any case.

HoosierT

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘19 Ranger Lariat FX4, '17 Explorer Sport
The Ranger is a good enough truck. However, it is an eight year old design with a few tweaks to get it over the border. Ford has a history of going cheap. If there is something else in the wings, we'll just have to wait and see.
Might be an eight year old design (which is totally fine by me) but the drivetrain and tech is nowhere near that. I knew as soon as I drove it that regardless of the ROT Ranger, this one had everything I could need (CarPlay, led head/fog lights, etc) and a blast of a drivetrain to boot. New stuff will always come but I couldn’t be happier. For that reason, I’ve been completely comfortable investing thousands into mine to build exactly what I want to drive for years to come.

DJS 60

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Escape Ford Ranger
Occupation
Ironworker
Just checked it out glad I got my 2019 Ranger. The prices are higher and with the XLT if you get any package above base you get the Sport Appearance Package. Not only does it increase the price of the package I don't like the black out bumpers.
Yes I agree. I didn't want the sport package but to get the 302A package l had to get it. I hated the wheels so I ordered 18 inch wheels for an extra charge. I might stop by the local body shop and see if they will paint the bumpers white to match the rest of the truck. Dealer says the build date is December 16, hopefully delivered to the dealership by the first part of January

Mokume

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Ranger Supercab (sold 12/19) , 2002 Honda CR-V
Occupation
Retired Firefighter III, Honolulu Fire Department
Finally got the window sticker for my 2020 SuperCab !

Attachments

NickTheEnforcer

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Hi Anthony,

Unfortunately I cannot give Ford Marketing high marks for being on the pulse of the industry. Been burned by them so many times....I really distrust them to make the the right decision for Gen 6... I also believe that the Aussie engineers are again lead on the program..

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired
whats your opinion of the Aussie folks? Did you ever interact w/them?...

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
whats your opinion of the Aussie folks? Did you ever interact w/them?...
Hi Anthony,

I have limited interface with them as I retired in 2002 and at that time the Ranger was produced in Thailand with Aussie engineering the lead. The engineers are certainly capable, but they are European bent if you know what I mean and not all that familiar with Yanks and our vehicle usages, tastes wishes and desires and so on. They are getting an eye full when they test at the Ford Phoenix Test Track and immersion into the North American Culture... Eg...we do not like warm beer...

The final sign off of a Ranger will be with USA Bigwigs and if they feel something is to European, they may direct changes to the vehicle

Sorry I cannot really answer your question directly...I did sit down with one Aussie Engineer this summer at the Dearborn Inn and we chatted for several hours...He was very bright and very capable.

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired

Mokume

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Ranger Supercab (sold 12/19) , 2002 Honda CR-V
Occupation
Retired Firefighter III, Honolulu Fire Department
I hate when dealers add crap on and then overcharge for it. One of the benefits of special orders.
So very true, when I special ordered my 2020 back in August I drafted a document which essentially stated that the dealer was NOT to additional options/equipment to my truck. As part of the required deposit, I made the salesperson and sales manager endorse this document.
The sale will be consummated via Ford's X Plan pricing agreement which clearly states that all such added nonsense must be disclosed on the pricing agreement. Others here and other forums have said that this precludes the dealer from adding bogus items to the vehicle, it does not, it merely states that such items must be listed on the sales agreement.
I worked as a mechanic for almost 14 years at a Lincoln-Mercury/Honda dealership, each and every vehicle prior to being sold had at least 2 worthless items added to them, such as a $1200 "paint sealant" and $500 "fabric upholstery sealant".
The most ludicrous item was the "theft deterrent" glass etching lol, as though a thief would pass up on a car which was so equipped.

NickTheEnforcer

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Hi Anthony,

I have limited interface with them as I retired in 2002 and at that time the Ranger was produced in Thailand with Aussie engineering the lead. The engineers are certainly capable, but they are European bent if you know what I mean and not all that familiar with Yanks and our vehicle usages, tastes wishes and desires and so on. They are getting an eye full when they test at the Ford Phoenix Test Track and immersion into the North American Culture... Eg...we do not like warm beer...

The final sign off of a Ranger will be with USA Bigwigs and if they feel something is to European, they may direct changes to the vehicle

Sorry I cannot really answer your question directly...I did sit down with one Aussie Engineer this summer at the Dearborn Inn and we chatted for several hours...He was very bright and very capable.

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired
you know what I call warm beer?
...a puddle. [that's after I pour it out]
Sponsored