2019 Ranger Rhino Rack Backbone System Install Video!

Jason@Stage3

Diamond Sponsor
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.stage3motorsports.com
Vehicle(s)
2011 F150 5.0L
Occupation
Web Team Overlord
One of the more intensive steps for Overlanding out our 2019 Ranger Build was the 2019 Ranger Rhino Rack Backbone System. The Backbone consists of a pair of brackets and a Rhino Rack Pioneer Platform that gives you a nice bump in cargo capability. Our install video is now up on our YouTube Channel.

The Backbone system is awesome, and you can do almost limitless things with the Pioneer Platform...but that install is a Yikes-Fest. Cutting trim, drilling through the roof (but not too far), and riveting? That's a lot to ask.

I feel like if Rhino Rack made a low-profile clamp-on leg that could fit a Pioneer Platform, they'd sell a berjillion of them without all the slicey-dicey.

Still, the end result is impressive as all hell, and we topped our rack off with a set of ARB Tred Pros and a RotoPax Kit, because Overland.

Direct link to video.
Sponsored

Rinn69

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCrew 4x4 Lightning Blue
Occupation
Retired USAF MSgt
Vehicle Showcase
Why did they use a 10mm nut ??? Everyone knows we will have to go and buy one since most of us have lost our 10mm sockets :crackup:

Hack_Actual

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4
Youā€™ve made it appear far less intrusive than dropping the headliner, as Iā€™ve seen some suggest.

OP
OP
Jason@Stage3

Jason@Stage3

Diamond Sponsor
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicle(s)
2011 F150 5.0L
Occupation
Web Team Overlord
Youā€™ve made it appear far less intrusive than dropping the headliner, as Iā€™ve seen some suggest.
There's no reason why you couldn't go that route. However, since you need to minimize your drilling depth to avoid hitting the air bag modules anyway, there's not really much of point going to all that effort.

PatrickM

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.pmiyoshiphoto.com
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Outback16, Ford Ranger 11
Occupation
ā­ tender
Vehicle Showcase
Thank you Stage 3 Motorsport! With the great deal (Black Friday) and the amazing install video, couldnā€™t have done this DIY without it! If your gonna do this project, make sure you do exactly what the video shows! I didnā€™t have any problems, except my 12 year old dremel died during a cut, ended up getting a new model and finished without a problem!

80382A8E-6385-4C99-A496-9AB79D11ECB2.jpeg

7FCEF626-742D-4ACC-9C4B-5F0162BF1A04.jpeg

378093EB-9DF3-4FB7-8E69-720252256A93.jpeg

53E9C763-9481-479E-9345-FEF0322BC1B7.jpeg

OP
OP
Jason@Stage3

Jason@Stage3

Diamond Sponsor
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicle(s)
2011 F150 5.0L
Occupation
Web Team Overlord
Thank you Stage 3 Motorsport! With the great deal (Black Friday) and the amazing install video, couldnā€™t have done this DIY without it! If your gonna do this project, make sure you do exactly what the video shows! I didnā€™t have any problems, except my 12 year old dremel died during a cut, ended up getting a new model and finished without a problem!
The rack looks great, and we're glad that our install video was helpful.

We had the over/under on that video as being more of a deterrent than an aid, but it's nice to be proven wrong.

PatrickM

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.pmiyoshiphoto.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
ā­ tender
Vehicle Showcase
The rack looks great, and we're glad that our install video was helpful.

We had the over/under on that video as being more of a deterrent than an aid, but it's nice to be proven wrong.
I think the video was more helpful, and it also explained that this wasnā€™t an easy DIY, for someone who doesnā€™t have the capability/desire to cut and drill before purchasing, thanks again!

PatrickM

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.pmiyoshiphoto.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
ā­ tender
Vehicle Showcase

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
On the freeway I noticed a significant amount of wind noise, might have to look into getting a fairing or wind screen! But I also wanted to install a light bar, has anyone used the fairing or does the light bar help with cutting down the wind noise?
https://www.etrailer.com/Accessories-and-Parts/Rhino-Rack/RR43249.html

BE92F63C-B9E1-4966-98C9-B3D6380E2F5B.jpeg
Hi Patrick,

I would recommend you use cardboard and duct tape to make up fairings or blocking panels. Drive and see if you improved it or made it worse.. Trial and error...That is what we do in the windtunnel Looks are not important...just function...

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

PatrickM

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.pmiyoshiphoto.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
ā­ tender
Vehicle Showcase
Hi Patrick,

I would recommend you use cardboard and duct tape to make up fairings or blocking panels. Drive and see if you improved it or made it worse.. Trial and error...That is what we do in the windtunnel Looks are not important...just function...

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired
Thanks Phil, sounds like a great idea! I appreciate the feedback.
Sponsored