Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Hi Folks,

A very disturbing incident yesterday back from the hospital with my darling little wifelet post heart nuclear stress test. We hit a wall of water coming into Green Valley...not unexpected as we are used to these winter rains but new experience in the Ranger... Freeway speed of 75mph. I lifted off but felt that the vehicle was on top of the water with sever hydroplaning kept foot off the gas until about 55 mph. Felt the tires again grab the wet pavement. I am really concerned about this poor wet weather performance. I felt it was just like my race car at speed when the car was dancing on the pavement. Loved that feeling at 160mph on the race track, but not on the freeway...

Anyone else notice this???

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired
Sponsored

uthunter

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 F-350 CC & 2019 Ranger Lariat Sport & 2005 Ford Explorer Sport Trac - SuperCharged
I tried to stick with the Hankooks but I just don't trust them after a few runs in the snow. BFGs go on tomorrow.

Tracy Bowman

First Name
Tracy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Hyundai Accent, 2001 Ford F-150, 2019 Ford Ranger FX4 Saber Lariat
No problem so far.:fingerscrossed:

Saddle Tramp

First Name
Jerald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 F350 Lariat, 2019 Ranger Lariat, 2017 Honda CRV
Occupation
Retired Rancher
A very disturbing incident yesterday back from the hospital with my darling little wifelet post heart nuclear stress test. We hit a wall of water coming into Green Valley...not unexpected as we are used to these winter rains but new experience in the Ranger... Freeway speed of 75mph. I lifted off but felt that the vehicle was on top of the water with sever hydroplaning kept foot off the gas until about 55 mph. Felt the tires again grab the wet pavement. I am really concerned about this poor wet weather performance. I felt it was just like my race car at speed when the car was dancing on the pavement. Loved that feeling at 160mph on the race track, but not on the freeway...

Anyone else notice this???

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired
Big rain this morning between Artesia, NM, and Roswell, NM, worst hydroplaning I have experienced in 75 yrs, on the Hankooks, Scary!

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SuperCab XL - FX4 - Magnetic - Rocksliders
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
Put 57,000 miles on the Hankook Dynapro ATM tires on my '02 Tacoma 4x4 TRD. Never an issue with hydroplaning.

SandBaja

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Silver FX4, 501A pkg, fully optioned,2012 Rubicon, 2017 Cherokee, 2018 Volt
Occupation
Almost retired
1st rain in over 6 months here today. No chance to test but not surprised based on tread pattern. Also, which you more than aware of, the higher the speed the greater the risk of hydroplaning. You were at 75 which may be the speed limit where you are at but I personally would run slower with rivers on the roads, with these tires.

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
I've not had any issues with hydroplaning as of yet. A little over 8,000 miles thus far, but most of those have been in dry weather - we are just now getting into the rainy season.

Deleted member 1634

I haven't hit torrential rain at 75mph with my Hankooks... yet. I've done heavy rain at lower speeds with no hydroplaning issues. Maybe you'd just gone beyond the capacity of those tires with the amount of rain there was at that point. I wouldn't be surprised. I've always thought these Hankooks are acceptable tires. Not great at really anything, but will get you by in most circumstances. So far they've been alright for me in the snow and ice. But again, not great, only acceptable.

OP
OP
P. A. Schilke

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I haven't hit torrential rain at 75mph with my Hankooks... yet. I've done heavy rain at lower speeds with no hydroplaning issues. Maybe you'd just gone beyond the capacity of those tires with the amount of rain there was at that point. I wouldn't be surprised. I've always thought these Hankooks are acceptable tires. Not great at really anything, but will get you by in most circumstances. So far they've been alright for me in the snow and ice. But again, not great, only acceptable.
Hi Matt,

Our rain here in the Southern AZ can be weird. It was overcast but dry road and then the clouds just let go in a wall of water. No time to react other than to let off the gas. Was in the right lane and let the people doing over 80mph-90mph (regular occurrence on I19) go past. Brake lights everywhere and a few off into the weeds

Ford tests for hydroplaning at much lower speeds, and I am sure the tires passed this testing. This water wall is a freak thing and is the first time in 14 years I have gotten caught out by a cloudburst. Have experienced it many times at the house, but not on the road. Real funny is I was on the phone with my neighbor who lives about ÂĽ mile away. It was pouring at my house...At his house, nothing...stayed dry. Weird weather sometimes...

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired

mk842766

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 F150 2019 Ranger xlt
Occupation
Retired!!!!
Hi Matt,

Our rain here in the Southern AZ can be weird. It was overcast but dry road and then the clouds just let go in a wall of water. No time to react other than to let off the gas. Was in the right lane and let the people doing over 80mph-90mph (regular occurrence on I19) go past. Brake lights everywhere and a few off into the weeds

Ford tests for hydroplaning at much lower speeds, and I am sure the tires passed this testing. This water wall is a freak thing and is the first time in 14 years I have gotten caught out by a cloudburst. Have experienced it many times at the house, but not on the road. Real funny is I was on the phone with my neighbor who lives about ÂĽ mile away. It was pouring at my house...At his house, nothing...stayed dry. Weird weather sometimes...

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired
Sounds like the typical rain shower here in Houston...3-4 inches or more an hour...

pa-fatboy

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2016 Mustang GT Premium, 1966 Mustang Convertible C Code, 2019 Ford Fusion, 2005 Ford Focus ST
Vehicle Showcase
No problems so far I n PA. I have 4,000 on my XLT and the Hankooks. 2,000 of those miles was a road trip to Iowa for family reunion. Around the Indianapolis hub, we hit a downpour. As my previous DD was a Mustang with summer tires, I normally lifted in those situations until I felt the tires grab asphalt. I was surprised at how much speed I needed to lose until I hit a decent traction point in the XLT. I thought about going into 4x4 high, but couldn’t remember at what speed it was okay to switch.

Since then, I haven’t thought about it. Thanks for your post. I’ll be interested where this goes.

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
I'd expect 4wd to make things worse rather than better

Mobius97

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat Fx4-Lotus Evora-Lotus Elise-BMW X7 M
No issues here in the PNW.....yet. I living in the Cascade Mountain foothills outside of Seattle so I see plenty of rain. I haven't had an issue yet. 80mph is the norm out here on the freeways thru the pass (speed limit 70) but luckily haven't had any hydroplaning. In one of my Lotus....now that's another story! I've been happy with the stock tires performance so far but they haven't really been tested in severe weather. Glad you are safe!

Rene Michaels

First Name
René
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Supercrew 4X2 5' Box Lariat
Vehicle Showcase
how many tires could handle alot of water at 75mph?
Had Cooper Discovered AT3 on my Land Rover LR3 and drove at 75-80mph here in Austin, TX in heavy Texas rain for several years with no hydroplaning whatsoever. The Cooper's have silica substance blended into the tire which helps with wet roads. I've seen that on a few other tire manufacturers as well.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
Hi Matt,

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired

Hi Phil,

I was caught in a similar storm here in the west valley the other day with one huge cloud dumping water in a concentrated area while all around it was dry. I was on the I-10 doing 70 mph and did not have any problems with my Nitto Ridge Grapplers but for safety precaution I did slow down. I had heard a few negative reviews on the Hankook tires but nothing widespread, I just wanted a more aggressive tire for off roading but seems like they do handle well in the rain which we don't get all that much of here. :)
Sponsored