Cal4Wheel's Winter Fun Fest

Pathung

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
I've been on this run (in Northern California's Grass Valley area) twice now, and have always had a blast, and met wonderful offroading folks. I'm going again this coming January with the family, and it'd be the first time in the snow for the Ranger - any other Bay Area Rangers wanna come out to play in the snow?

The event dates are 1/24~26, 2020, and a fee of $110/adult includes two days of trail runs, "easy" (as in "stock 4x4s") to "extreme" in difficulty, as well as two dinner and breakfast meals for all participants at the Nevada County Fairgrounds.

Event link:

https://cal4wheel.com/winter-fun-festival

x1PPbC3.jpg
Sponsored

jeb134

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lightning Blue 2019 Ranger XLT FX4
Vehicle Showcase
This is the kind of stuff I've been looking for, I think I may have to head up the hill for this

OP
OP
Pathung

Pathung

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
This is the kind of stuff I've been looking for, I think I may have to head up the hill for this
Cool. My truck's completely stock, so I'll only be doing the SUV runs. With M/Ts on my old truck, I was able to run the medium-difficulty trails, which was a ton of fun. Bring a CB radio if you have one - for on-trail safety and fun bantering.

Many participants came in Jeeps, with a few classic Broncos and Toyota pickups/FJ40s here and there. My friends and I went in our Nissans, bringing our families. Our trucks were equipped with 2"+ lifts and 32"/33" A/T / M/T tires, and each did fine on the Glacier Assault run.

SUV RUN:
VWUlB6g.jpg

"GLACIER ASSAULT" RUN (Tires were required to be aired down to 15 psi)
qpSDtpS.jpg

2s0yw03.jpg

jeb134

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Awesome, I'm going to see if my dad and a couple buddies want to come along. Probably will only do the Historical trail and SUV runs for the first time just to see what it's all about.

OP
OP
Pathung

Pathung

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
Sounds like a plan! If you're doing the historical run (we'll probably do that too), definitely consider some kind of a CB radio setup, as it's run in a "guided tour" format, with the Lead (tour guide leading the pack) describing sights and their history over the CB while the vehicles are on the move. There are nice, scenic stops, too, of course.

jeb134

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Added a CB radio to the birthday and Christmas wish list, definitely planning to do this and will probably register early next month. Do you have to go up Friday or can you get there first thing Saturday? Where are you guys coming from?

OP
OP
Pathung

Pathung

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
You can skip Friday if you like, as it's basically just dinner (free/included), and time to visit various equipment vendors in the large building (giant barn structure at the Nevada County Fairgrounds), which you may not be interested in anyway. Just be sure you know when and where to meet Saturday morning... some runs depart from the Fairgrounds, others meet at offsite trail-heads.

We're coming from Santa Cruz, and will actually arrive on Thursday night; we'll be exploring some nearby trails on Friday on our own, so goes the plan.

I have a relatively-cheap but effective CB radio, initially with a rooftop antenna, later upgraded to a proper 4-ft. Firestick mounted on a steel bumper:

https://smile.amazon.com/Midland-75...2&s=electronics&sprefix=cb+rad,aps,403&sr=1-8

https://www.rightchannelradios.com/collections/cb-antennas/products/firestik-cb-antenna-kit

jeb134

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Alright, there's going to be 2 blue Rangers there now, I registered with the Saturday preferences being the Historical Tour and SUV run and Sunday's SUV run. Looking forward to it!

Last edited:
OP
OP
Pathung

Pathung

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
Great, looking forward to meeting you, Jeremy. I'm also signed up for the SUV run, both days, I think (I've done the historical run before, and it was pretty good, with interesting stops).

In preparation for the trip, I upgraded my tires to 265/70/17 hybrid A/T-M/Ts (Dick Cepek Trail Country EXP) - a bit louder, but with a proper offroading tread pattern and improved sidewall strength. Next up is installation of the Shrockworks sliders for better ground clearance.

2YEeDC6.jpg

zxuzITG.jpg

jeb134

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Great, looking forward to meeting you, Jeremy. I'm also signed up for the SUV run, both days, I think (I've done the historical run before, and it was pretty good, with interesting stops).

In preparation for the trip, I upgraded my tires to 265/70/17 hybrid A/T-M/Ts (Dick Cepek Trail Country EXP) - a bit louder, but with a proper offroading tread pattern and improved sidewall strength. Next up is installation of the Shrockworks sliders for better ground clearance.

2YEeDC6.jpg

zxuzITG.jpg
Looks great, those should definitely work!

OP
OP
Pathung

Pathung

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
I'm so bummed. I was talking to a friend from SLO and we were considering coming up, but now with my busted ankle I can't make it happen. Have plenty of fun for me too! Share them pics!
Oh well, next time. We'll post pics for sure.
Sponsored