First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4X4 Super Cab
Occupation
Pilot
I Want to flat tow my Ranger behind my Motorhomes and was wondering if any of you have installed an Air Force One brake system on it. If you did, where did you mount the main box?
Sponsored

pete

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger XLT 2019
I just installed the Air Force One on my 2019 Ranger XLT. I mounted my control box in the area under the grill and in front of the radiator. I have an older AFO from 2007 and I'm led to believe the control box is larger than the newer models. I have an air reserve tank strapped to the frame around the radiator in front of the battery.

I called Demco prior to the install and they sold me a 5/8 X 3/8 X 5/8 plastic tee. Their recommendation was to pull the sensor from the bottom of the brake boost chamber and install one leg of the 5/8 tee in that location with the sensor mounted on the other end of the tee. The 3/8 hose from the control unit is attached to the 3/8 barb on the tee. The only problem, I didn't have enough room to install the tee because of interference in front of the booster. I ended up using a 5/8 X 5/8 elbow plugged into the booster and twisted so the open leg pointed toward the engine. Another 5/8 X 5/8 elbow pointing up with the Demco tee attached to that elbow. Then the sensor mounted to the top of the tee. The collection of parts looks like it is almost all hose clamps but it does work. The check valve now goes in the AFO 3/8 hose with the black end toward the control unit, not the brake booster.

I tested the system yesterday and all works as it should. My next task is to find a way to detect when the brake pedal is depressed. I have a light on my motorhome dash with a wire running to the AFO black box on the rear of my coach. I ran a wire into the cab when I ran the air tubing. Research on this site points me to a violet/white striped wire above the driver's side kick panel as being a brake on/off wire. I hope to find that wire and get the brake light signal I need.

OP
OP

ICTpilot

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Pilot
Thanks for the reply!! Mine is a newer unit and I mounted the box in front of the battery. There is no reserve tank with the new units. I also got the adapter from Demco for the vacuum and noticed quickly that it would not work. Demco basically told me I didn’t know what I was doing when I told them it would not fit. I have been looking for a 5/8’s 90 to do the same as you, but haven’t been able to find one. I found one for plumbing that is close, but I tore the rubber grommet on the booster trying to install it. Where did you find your 90 degree elbow?

Thanks!!

pete

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger XLT 2019
Got my 90's at NAPA but they only have a single barb. Had to file a slight bevel to the end of the elbow going into the booster to reduce the diameter a bit. I also used a bit of dish soap as a lubricant and I made the hose connections as short as possible to reduce the overall size of the finished connections. US Plastics shows an elbow with 3 barbs on their website https://www.usplastic.com/catalog/item.aspx?itemid=23254 that may be better to use.

OP
OP

ICTpilot

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Pilot
Thanks!!

Pvsaint

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger - 2014 Tiffin Phaeton Motorhome
Occupation
Retired Fire Captain
AFO vacuum.jpg

Is this where the vacuum should be taken? It is similar to a Chevy I had, just cut the large tube from the booster and insert the tee fitting.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
AFO vacuum.jpg

Is this where the vacuum should be taken? It is similar to a Chevy I had, just cut the large tube from the booster and insert the tee fitting.
Hi Paul,

I hope this is not your truck in the picture...OMG! Wiring needs work! I cannot advise on cutting into a vacuum line on a boosted truck as I cannot recommend cutting that may compromising safety.

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

OP
OP

ICTpilot

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Pilot
Paul, I checked with Demco, they have a kit that uses the vacuum sensor on the bottom of the brake booster. The way yours is done will work, just not as clean. Just make sure your check valves are properly installed.

Pvsaint

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Fire Captain
Hi Paul,

I hope this is not your truck in the picture...OMG! Wiring needs work! I cannot advise on cutting into a vacuum line on a boosted truck as I cannot recommend cutting that may compromising safety.

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired
Not mine Phil. That's a still from a install video put out by Etrailer.com.

Pvsaint

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Fire Captain
Paul, I checked with Demco, they have a kit that uses the vacuum sensor on the bottom of the brake booster. The way yours is done will work, just not as clean. Just make sure your check valves are properly installed.
Thanks for the info. The instructions from Demco do say in their latest installation manual, dated 02/20 :

"Some newer Ford products incorporate two vacuum lines from the booster
and require an additional check valve. Contact the Demco Help Line for details".

I think I'll give them a call to be on the safe side.

OP
OP

ICTpilot

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Pilot
Thanks for the info. The instructions from Demco do say in their latest installation manual, dated 02/20 :

"Some newer Ford products incorporate two vacuum lines from the booster
and require an additional check valve. Contact the Demco Help Line for details".

I think I'll give them a call to be on the safe side.

OP
OP

ICTpilot

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Pilot
Demco will tell you their kit will fit, it won’t without modification. You will also need a 90 degree Fitting coming out of the booster.

Pvsaint

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Fire Captain
Demco will tell you their kit will fit, it won’t without modification. You will also need a 90 degree Fitting coming out of the booster.
I called Demco and was told to use the hard plastic line from the top of the booster like the picture above shows. He told me that people were having problems using the line lower down and that either way would work. The upper tube is a much easier connection so I will use it.
Thanks all that replied.
Sponsored