First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Retired Architect
If the Fox shock can't be compressed then it may be adding spring rate in addition to damping. A purely hydraulic system can be manipulated, albeit slowly, by hand.
Could be the Fox have substantially increased gas pressurization over the factory shocks? Possibly the Ford shocks are losing their air pressurization?
It is my understanding that the FX4 shocks are intentionally soft for off road work. The rebound damping on the FX4 shocks is almost non existent. What I would really like is a way to adjust the damping for Offroad and towing. I don’t understand why most every manufacturer does not offer adjustable damping and then the one or two that do want $500+ each for that feature. My Miata has adjustable damping so it can be adjusted for comfortable street or very hard track use and all four with springs was under $1,000.

Also, the truck only has 6K miles on it so I doubt the charge has leaked out.
Sponsored

Rviator

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A 2019 Ford Ranger of course, and a 2015 Yamaha YZF-R3
Occupation
retired aerospace engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Jerry,
I am 100% with you on that, adjustability is what is needed, even to just tune the ride to one's preference. Checkout Rancho Suspension RS9000 series. They are 9 way adjustable for damping. Website is gorancho.com The catch is as far as I know they don't make a set for our trucks.

Jerry Caldwell

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Retired Architect
Jerry,
I am 100% with you on that, adjustability is what is needed, even to just tune the ride to one's preference. Checkout Rancho Suspension RS9000 series. They are 9 way adjustable for damping. Website is gorancho.com The catch is as far as I know they don't make a set for our trucks.
I checked with Rancho and they do not have any plans to support our Rangers.

Rviator

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I checked with Rancho and they do not have any plans to support our Rangers.
Thanks for getting with them. That is disappointing. My 2006 F-350 FX4 came from the factory with Rancho shocks.

T-Wrecks

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 XLT FX4 S Cab, FX4, 301A, Tow, Technology
It is my understanding that the FX4 shocks are intentionally soft for off road work. The rebound damping on the FX4 shocks is almost non existent. .
Who the hell thought of this? Rebound damping is needed off road too! BTW - Compression is usually what makes a shock feel hard or stiff. Rebound is after the fact and should just maintain wheel contact with the ground after a bump. Too fast and you get bounce. Bounce is not good off road too.

Rviator

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Who the hell thought of this? Rebound damping is needed off road too! BTW - Compression is usually what makes a shock feel hard or stiff. Rebound is after the fact and should just maintain wheel contact with the ground after a bump. Too fast and you get bounce. Bounce is not good off road too.
I think the damping is set low for all versions. I have a 4x2 and the low speed rebound/jounce damping is low resulting in several up/down cycles. after rolling over a small bump. The medium to high speed damping is OK resulting in a soft ride. I would guesstimate shocks with 2 stage valving would help. Even with the Fox shocks the damping is an unknown as there is is no jounce/rebound damping curves publicly available to compare to stock. A member did a test driving at low speed over a 2x4, that's about as scientific as we can get.

MiniRaptor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger STX
Oh man old thread......but I have a question ?. I have stock rear suspension on my 2wd. I came across a free fx suspension from a member here. Will swapping the rears be a good idea if I do not off road?....

Any help is appreciated.

Jerry Caldwell

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Retired Architect
Oh man old thread......but I have a question ?. I have stock rear suspension on my 2wd. I came across a free fx suspension from a member here. Will swapping the rears be a good idea if I do not off road?....

Any help is appreciated.
No. I had an FX4 for about 9 months before having it totaled in an accident. The FX4 is very bouncy compared to our current 4x2 suspension and gets even worse when towing.

MiniRaptor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger STX
No. I had an FX4 for about 9 months before having it totaled in an accident. The FX4 is very bouncy compared to our current 4x2 suspension and gets even worse when towing.
Thanks! I thought it would stiffen the ride....... guess I'll look into aftermarket shocks.

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Fox 2.0, 2011 Ford Edge Sport
Thanks! I thought it would stiffen the ride....... guess I'll look into aftermarket shocks.
Fx4 shocks are very light. I’d be looking at aftermarket shocks if you’re looking for a better ride. Eibach or icon, or king.

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Fox 2.0, 2011 Ford Edge Sport
Why not Fox?
I ended up buying the fox ones :) I’m not sure why I excluded them at the time. I think they weren’t on my list when I posted this because I had different ideas of what I wanted.
Sponsored