Sync 4

Godzilla_Driver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT Ranger Super Crew
If I had any gripe with Z it's Sync and it's unreliability. I run Android Auto and not the regular Sync but my connection always seems wonky. Last night when I connected, AA wouldn't start but BT was working. Nothing resolved it until I turned off the truck. This morning was nothing connecting. I did auto start this morning but nothing connected until I shut off the truck. This is with the latest Sync, latest AA and a good working cable. If I could find a good head unit for the truck I will replace it.
Sponsored

Murphie

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat 4X2, 2023 Hyundai Santa Fe
Occupation
Financial Auditor - Retired
Yeah I've been trying to report my install all last week also. No luck getting it to upload, same screen your seeing. Here's hoping a new update is looming!
Good news... I was finally able to upload my XML file today. Bad news... there are no additional updates showing (yet).

j0shm1lls

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2016 Focus RS, 2019 Ranger SCrew Lariat FX4 Sport
Vehicle Showcase
Good news... I was finally able to upload my XML file today. Bad news... there are no additional updates showing (yet).
Just got mine reported as well, still showing the same update available however. I suspect it'll take a while to register that its installed. There's definitely room for improvement in the whole Sync Upgrade process.

Andy

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat / 2019 Volvo XC60 T6 Inscription
Couldn’t we find a way to change out our hardware to a newer version that supports sync 4? Only have to get the vin and what not to be programmed.

j0shm1lls

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2016 Focus RS, 2019 Ranger SCrew Lariat FX4 Sport
Vehicle Showcase
Couldn’t we find a way to change out our hardware to a newer version that supports sync 4? Only have to get the vin and what not to be programmed.
People have been doing APIM upgrades forever, I suspect we will be able to do this with ours as well unless there's something drastically different hardware wise overall.

EDIT: And you'll most likely have to live a life of manual updates after that as its non-standard hardware. UNLESS there's some sort of official upgrade path from Ford OR the way updates are handled changes. The whole premise behind Sync 4 and OTA upgrades is to not just keep "Sync" updated, but your vehicles other modules as well (PCM, BCM, IPC etc.).

Andy

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat / 2019 Volvo XC60 T6 Inscription
People have been doing APIM upgrades forever, I suspect we will be able to do this with ours as well unless there's something drastically different hardware wise overall.

EDIT: And you'll most likely have to live a life of manual updates after that as its non-standard hardware. UNLESS there's some sort of official upgrade path from Ford OR the way updates are handled changes. The whole premise behind Sync 4 and OTA upgrades is to not just keep "Sync" updated, but your vehicles other modules as well (PCM, BCM, IPC etc.).
I don’t doubt the new rangers will have sync 4 so I could only assume there will be a way to attach our vehicles identity to the new hardware in the same way ford will do so on the same body modules in the rangers of 2020. Finding the way to do so might be impossible without using fords dealership tools. But we have connections for that..:wink:

UofMEngineer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20' Escape Hybrid,18' Fusion Hybrid
I'm confident you can autoinstall the 3.4 update in the Ranger, but haven't tried it yet. Looks like our Russian friends have found a newer build (19274 5U5T-14G381-CJ) of 3.4 than what I have (19200 5U5T-14G381-CD) in my RS. Hopefully the official release isn't too far out. @UofMEngineer ? :D
The official v3.2/v3.3 -> v3.4 upgrade will be a later release than what is currently available today. Not sure when exactly, but I'd guess a few months out.

Billho

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XL STX 2wd SuperCab, 2002 GMC Sierra
I don’t doubt the new rangers will have sync 4 so I could only assume there will be a way to attach our vehicles identity to the new hardware in the same way ford will do so on the same body modules in the rangers of 2020. Finding the way to do so might be impossible without using fords dealership tools. But we have connections for that..:wink:
I'm curious if anyone has figured how to upgrade from SYNC ('19 XL with 4.2" screen) to SYNC 4? If I'm going to take the time and money to put in a larger screen, I'd love to see if I can go as far forward as possible. Have you guys seen an aftermarket option or kit where someone has done it?

Porpoise Hork

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 F150 XLT Powerboost FX4 302A Oxford White
Occupation
IT
I'm curious if anyone has figured how to upgrade from SYNC ('19 XL with 4.2" screen) to SYNC 4? If I'm going to take the time and money to put in a larger screen, I'd love to see if I can go as far forward as possible. Have you guys seen an aftermarket option or kit where someone has done it?
It was at one point suspected that vehicles with the 8" display Sync 3 system and built in cell service would eventually receive the ability to upgrade to Sync 4 as these were the main requirements due to Sync 4 being an always online OS. Now that more information is out about it sadly there is no direct upgrade for the Sync 3 to 4 systems. The Sync 4 OS uses different hardware architecture compared to Sync 3. So unless Ford decides to invest time and resources to create a version of Sync 4 that will work with the older hardware, (and we all know they won't) we are stuck with Sync 3 and ultimately the final version no matter how buggy it is when they declare it EOL.

It may be possible to get a Sync 4 control module and 8" screen provided yours has the 8" display interface and swap them out. As for getting it to work, there's no way to know if it would be a simple plug/play or if there will be any recoding to make it work properly.
Sponsored