Winter rims and TPMS

Ross Del Duca

First Name
Del Duca
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Rangel Lariat FX4, 1946 Willys CJ2A
I'm an old truck guy, so TPMS is a new thing to me when it comes to working with it.

I'm getting a second complete set of rims for my winter/offroad tires and I'm trying to understand what it takes to make this work with the TPMS. From what I can tell this is doable, but I'll need something to reprogram the system after I swap the wheels to make it aware of the new TPMS sensors on the new wheels.

Is this something I can do with my OBDMII device? Or do I need something specific to the TPMS system.

Any advice would be appreciated. I'm a bit out of my element here.
Sponsored

gfitzge2

First Name
Gregg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Focus RS, 2019 Ranger, 2021 Mustang Mach 1
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Vehicle Showcase
If the Ranger is anything like my 2018 Focus ST, it will remember two sets of wheels so you only have to teach the winter set once.
The same seams to apply to my 16 Focus RS. I have that little tool but only had to use it once.

OP
OP
Ross Del Duca

Ross Del Duca

First Name
Del Duca
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks guys.

The tire shop I'm planning to use to by the rims and tires says they'll do it for free anytime I swap them. Hopefully that happens exactly once as some of you have talked about.

I've been a bit surprised at the lack of info on this online though. I can't be the first person in the world doing this with my Ranger...

Washashore

First Name
JM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SCab Lariat 4x4
Thanks guys.

The tire shop I'm planning to use to by the rims and tires says they'll do it for free anytime I swap them. Hopefully that happens exactly once as some of you have talked about.

I've been a bit surprised at the lack of info on this online though. I can't be the first person in the world doing this with my Ranger...
Ross,

I'm planning to do the same by the fall.. Are you purchasing a 2nd set of OEM rims or aftermarket? What tires did you choose? (I am looking at the General Grabber Artic 265/60R18T. and possibly Ford KB3Z-1K007-A rims (https://accessories.ford.com/catalog/product/view/id/12164/s/kit-wheel/category/168/)

Thanks!
Washashore

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
I'm curious why you'd pick 18 inch winter time instead of 16 inch rims

Washashore

First Name
JM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SCab Lariat 4x4
I'm curious why you'd pick 18 inch winter time instead of 16 inch rims
I'm considering 18 or 17 in rims / tires based on the OEM tire sizes fitted to my trim level. I didn't even consider 16 in wheels.. I guess the 16's would provide the best winter tire profile compared to 17 or 18's (70 vs 65 vs 60) ?

rangerdanger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger SuperCrew XLT FX4
Vehicle Showcase
On a whim I tried the F150 method I posted, and it works with some modifications!
  1. With the Ranger off, turn ignition/Engine on
  2. Press and release Hazard Signal button 3 times
  3. You will hear a double honk, then a message pops up on the information display to start with “Left Front Tire”.
I don’t have the Ford approved TPMS tool but I assume it would work with TPMS reset mode.

OP
OP
Ross Del Duca

Ross Del Duca

First Name
Del Duca
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
  1. With the Ranger off, turn ignition/Engine on
  2. Press and release Hazard Signal button 3 times
  3. You will hear a double honk, then a message pops up on the information display to start with “Left Front Tire”.

Awesome! thanks

HarryD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger 4X4 SuperCrew Magnetic Lariat Sport
In regard to resetting the TPMS, does anyone know if the Transmit Tool for the F150 used in the video is the same tool needed for the 2019 Ranger?
I found one on the American Truck website, but they do not have any Ranger information.

RCNGunnr

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat Fx4 Sport Appearance, Hot Pepper Red
Occupation
Naval Warfare Officer
Has anyone been able to confirm if the 2019 Ranger has a dual memory TPMS? additionally, does the truck have a smart controller system for identifying which sensor is located in which quadrant of the car or do you have to manually set up the tires each tire rotation/ seaosnal change?

RoadBoss

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TJAoutfitters.com
Vehicle(s)
95 Isuzu trooper, AE86 corolla, 19 ranger XL
Occupation
video/film, small business owner
Has anyone been able to confirm if the 2019 Ranger has a dual memory TPMS? additionally, does the truck have a smart controller system for identifying which sensor is located in which quadrant of the car or do you have to manually set up the tires each tire rotation/ seaosnal change?
I've been wandering about the rotation part as well...

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase
Perchased a set of OEM style TPMS and mounted them to my new wheel/tire set at Discount Tire. Mounted them at home and the sensors was recognized by the Ranger automatically. After the first rotation, nothing was done and it knew the tires had moved. There's nothing to set.
Sponsored