Rebound control

Str8sh0otr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat 4x4
Hey, Peter, sorry for what may be a dumb question, but did changing to the Raptor wheels have anything to do with improving the ride, or did you just like the look? I have already ordered the Ford-branded Fox two-inch leveling kit to reduce the "Ranger Bounce," and I really like the look of the Raptor Wheels, but I do not see how they would help the ride as well. Thanks in advance for any advice you can give.
Hi Marc saw you got the Fox shocks installed on another post. Can you update this thread with rebound control from the new shocks after you do some highway travel. I know I would really appreciate it. Trying to decide between a Fox or Eibach upgrade.
Sponsored

RANGER_MARC

First Name
MARC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FORD RANGER LARIAT 2019
Occupation
TEACH
Vehicle Showcase
Hi Marc saw you got the Fox shocks installed on another post. Can you update this thread with rebound control from the new shocks after you do some highway travel. I know I would really appreciate it. Trying to decide between a Fox or Eibach upgrade.
I'll be happy to do that. It really is an important decision. I had the kit installed on Friday and pretty much just drove the truck on errands around my house over the weekend. So far I am pleased with the ride, which is more planted and secure, with less bouncing and banging. I'm off today but will do some freeway driving tomorrow on the way to work and back (thirty-miles each way, mostly freeway, some highway, some streets), which should give me a better appreciation of the difference. But so, far so good. I really like the quieter ride, the improved angles and clearance, the feel of riding a bit higher than before (and than most other drivers, Monster Trucks excepted), and the still slightly raked look of a two-inch level....

RANGER_MARC

First Name
MARC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FORD RANGER LARIAT 2019
Occupation
TEACH
Vehicle Showcase
Guys, I just took the Ranger on its first freeway run since we installed the Ford-branded Fox two-inch Leveling Kit with Coilovers and Fox shocks on Friday. The vehicle is definitely more stable and grounded when going over irregular terrain such the abrupt changes in level such as the transitions from bridge height to road, etc. In other words, the rebound or "Ranger Bounce," while not totally cured, is definitely ameliorated by the Fox system. You still feel the road, but it does not beat you up like it did before. I am now very satisfied by the ride quality, and of course I am enjoying the higher stance of the cabin and improved front ground clearance and improved approach and breakover angles as well. Since I can only talk about the difference between the Ford-branded Foxes and the stock FX4 suspension, this may not be of much help to members considering other solutions available from Fox, Icon, Eibach, etc.

TexTazManiac

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2015 Ford F150 King Ranch, 2013 Lincoln MKX, 1977 Datsun 280Z, Various Can Am 'Toys', Mahindra Tractor
Hey, Peter, sorry for what may be a dumb question, but did changing to the Raptor wheels have anything to do with improving the ride, or did you just like the look? I have already ordered the Ford-branded Fox two-inch leveling kit to reduce the "Ranger Bounce," and I really like the look of the Raptor Wheels, but I do not see how they would help the ride as well. Thanks in advance for any advice you can give.
Sorry for the late reply. I don't think the wheels themselves made a difference. However, the tires -- the KO2s, have much larger sidewalls. So the 'sidewall give' may actually help. So pick what ever wheels you like (as long as they have the right amount of offset) and get new 'shoes'. She will love it.

RANGER_MARC

First Name
MARC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FORD RANGER LARIAT 2019
Occupation
TEACH
Vehicle Showcase
Sorry for the late reply. I don't think the wheels themselves made a difference. However, the tires -- the KO2s, have much larger sidewalls. So the 'sidewall give' may actually help. So pick what ever wheels you like (as long as they have the right amount of offset) and get new 'shoes'. She will love it.
Peter, thanks for this reply. As things worked out, I am really happy with the leveling kit, which stabilized the vehicle and dampened the rebounds significantly. As a result, I am satisfied with the ride now, enjoying my Ranger even more, and will probably stick with the stock 18-inch wheels and Hankook ATM tires for the time being. Happy trails!

Floyd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger SCab,'16 Connect,'95 MustangGT,'50 Ford
  • Assuming you have a good relationship with your parts guy, sit down with him and check the various springs available on various trim options on the Ranger. You will be surprised at the various springs (and therefore spring rates) available. The right spring, should go a long way to solving your ride issue. The correct spring coupled with the correct shock should help your back...a lot.
My 2019 Ranger STX SuperCab 2WD is the first Ranger i have owned which required no chassis modification right out of the box.
The ride and handling are firm but comfortable with good jounce and rebound control. Perfect compromise for towing/ride as well.
While it is purely a truck and will never be autocrossed,it is not car like.
Much like an F-150 in a more manageable size I think "luxury truck" might be an appropriate description.

I'm sure the 4X4 versions are sprung differently for off-road use and sacrifices had to be made.
Not sure if the 2WD springs or shocks would fit all the way around, or even if that would be desireable, but you might check their specs to get something close.
I only drove one 4X4 Lariat SuperCrew on pavement before buying my truck and found it acceptable, even nice, but I wouldn't trade.

MOOG makes great springs at good prices, both linear and variable rate.

Last edited:

TexTazManiac

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2015 Ford F150 King Ranch, 2013 Lincoln MKX, 1977 Datsun 280Z, Various Can Am 'Toys', Mahindra Tractor
Peter, thanks for this reply. As things worked out, I am really happy with the leveling kit, which stabilized the vehicle and dampened the rebounds significantly. As a result, I am satisfied with the ride now, enjoying my Ranger even more, and will probably stick with the stock 18-inch wheels and Hankook ATM tires for the time being. Happy trails!
Enjoy! Again, apologies for the delay in responding before.
Sponsored