Lead Process Engineer

Garnet

First Name
Garnet
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
I have a question regarding the paint on the box. I had to have a small repair done to the back corner. When the body shop prep't the surface they found that the box had 3 separate layers of paint on it from factory. Any explanation for this?

Hubcap91

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
I have a question regarding the paint on the box. I had to have a small repair done to the back corner. When the body shop prep't the surface they found that the box had 3 separate layers of paint on it from factory. Any explanation for this?
Some Ford colors are a "tri-coat" paint. It's a longer process which is why those select colors typically cost $500 on the window sticker. Instead of primer/base/clear they are primer/base/mid coat/clear. I'm not sure which colors on the Ranger are tri-coat though.

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
Some Ford colors are a "tri-coat" paint. It's a longer process which is why those select colors typically cost $500 on the window sticker. Instead of primer/base/clear they are primer/base/mid coat/clear. I'm not sure which colors on the Ranger are tri-coat though.
Platinum White is a tri coat for sure. Not sure about others.

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
Mine is hot pepper red.
I don't think it is a tri coat - the window sticker says this:

HOT PEPPER RED MET TINT CC

For the platinum white it says this (specifically says tri coat):

WHITE PLATINUM TRI-COAT

It might be that the white platinum is the only tri coat color for 2019. Not sure about the 2020 colors.

Garnet

First Name
Garnet
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
I don't think it is a tri coat - the window sticker says this:

HOT PEPPER RED MET TINT CC

For the platinum white it says this (specifically says tri coat):

WHITE PLATINUM TRI-COAT

It might be that the white platinum is the only tri coat color for 2019. Not sure about the 2020 colors.
Yes, my body guy says its not ri coat. He says that the box had been repainted from the factory with 2 more coats. Must have had some defects originally. Lots of coverage in any case.

Garnet

First Name
Garnet
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Yes, my body guy says its not ri coat. He says that the box had been repainted from the factory with 2 more coats. Must have had some defects originally. Lots of coverage in any case.
We have now noticed that the front wrap around portion of the grill section is not the same color as the rest of the truck. There is no metallic flake in the paint. Also the paint has peeled in a very small section at the joint. I need to talk to Ford about this.
IMG_20191119_1019094.jpg
IMG_20191119_1019094.jpg
Sponsored