PSA For you folks that are removing / modifying the crash bars to install bigger tires.....

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SuperCab XL - FX4 - Magnetic - Rocksliders
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
Are you aware that those crash bars that some of you are removing so you can install bigger tires.... they are there to protect your legs in the event of an accident.

This crash test video helps to explain why... "That's because the test dummy indicated a "significant risk of injury" to a real person's right leg due to some intrusion into the cabin."

Be careful out there. If you get hurt because of changes you've made, that's one thing. But imagine if your passenger gets hurt... that would be hard to live with.

https://www.iihs.org/ratings/vehicl...ickup/2019#small-overlap-front-passenger-side

http://fordauthority.com/2019/07/2019-ford-ranger-crash-test-results-are-in-video/

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a28244001/2019-ford-ranger-iihs-crash-testing/
Sponsored

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Fox 2.0, 2011 Ford Edge Sport
Are you aware that those crash bars that some of you are removing so you can install bigger tires.... they are there to protect your legs in the event of an accident.

This crash test video helps to explain why... "the 2019 Ford Ranger crash test results that on the passenger side there was a “significant risk of injury” to a person’s right leg in an accident due to intrusion into the cabin."

Be careful out there. If you get hurt because of changes you've made, that's one thing. But imagine if your passenger gets hurt... that would be hard to live with.

http://fordauthority.com/2019/07/2019-ford-ranger-crash-test-results-are-in-video/

Just install the bigger, yet more forward aftermarket ones instead of sawing them off... Some people will do anything to save a few bucks.

OP
OP
HenryMac

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
Just install the bigger, yet more forward aftermarket ones instead of sawing them off... Some people will do anything to save a few bucks.
I'm wondering if there is any testing done to prove that the aftermarket components meet or exceed the oem components?

You read a lot of claims, like this "The unique thing about this kit is we have engineered higher clearance crash bars that have the same strength as the OE bars but with additional clearance so you can fit a 285 tire without compromising safety”. They need to be backing these claims up with actual test result data.

https://www.ranger5g.com/forum/threads/procomp-2-25-with-modified-crash-bars.2009/

This reminds me of c-notches folks have done for years to lower their trucks, and those c-notches drastically reduce the strength of the trucks frame.

Last edited:

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I highly doubt anyone making aftermarket crash bars is crashing trucks to prove them out.

I'm just saying that you should AT LEAST put something back there that can approximate any support instead of cutting them off and having nothing.

My guess their claims are based on an "out of vehicle" structural analysis at a minimum, but I've seen no such data/information.

Just hope for 1. no crashes, 2. if there is a crash, whatever is still there protects your legs, and 3. the Insurance company doesn't get wind that you knowingly removed safety equipment that could have prevented your injury...

OP
OP
HenryMac

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
I highly doubt anyone making aftermarket crash bars is crashing trucks to prove them out.

I'm just saying that you should AT LEAST put something back there that can approximate any support instead of cutting them off and having nothing.

My guess their claims are based on an "out of vehicle" structural analysis at a minimum, but I've seen no such data/information.

Just hope for 1. no crashes, 2. if there is a crash, whatever is still there protects your legs, and 3. the Insurance company doesn't get wind that you knowingly removed safety equipment that could have prevented your injury...
Agreed. What I would be expecting is some sort of destructive testing via use of fixturing where an OEM parts is bolted to the fixture and then a load is applied to simulate actual loading and the load is increased until the OEM part fails. Then they bolt their new part to the same fixture, and prove that it is superior.

As an Engineer (now retired) I learned more from destructive testing than I ever did crunching numbers or running FEA.

Plus... breaking stuff is always a good time.. when you are in lab / shop anyways.

mURmECH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Raptor, 2019 Ranger
Crash bars stock are bolted on there and when you do remove them they don’t feel like the sturdiest “crash bar” , the aftermarket ones feel beefy and sturdy, as long as it pinches the tire I’m good with that, As long as there is some sort of protection I’m good with that. Better than nothing like my 2015 Supercab F150, no crash bars lol. Is any other truck besides Ford running crash bars? Currently my crash bars are removed, just waiting on time off to install my fabtech crash bars.

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase
Ford deletes the crash bars on F150 Raptors to get those fat tires to turn...FYI...

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
From people who cut them off, it sounds like they used mad strong steel so it doesn't have to be too thick and it could be deceptively strong.

The raptor probably doesn't score as highly on the crash test, and I bet Ford knows that they usually don't test the special models. Even so, the 3" wider axle on the probably makes up a little of the crush space anyways.

mURmECH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Raptor, 2019 Ranger
Just put a set of Fabtech bars on there and you’ll be fine lol, In all seriousness they are sturdy and beefy. Felt great after torquing them down.

ToothRanger

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4
Occupation
D.D.S.
Vehicle Showcase
From people who cut them off, it sounds like they used mad strong steel so it doesn't have to be too thick and it could be deceptively strong.
The shop that installed my new suspension trimmed the stock bars off and destroyed a Sawzall in the process! The owner had to run to Home Depot for a new one to finish the job on time. He said the bars are double-walled in thickness, so I believe in their ability to protect in the event of an accident.

I replaced mine with the Fabtech bars too, and they look and feel sturdy as f*ck. Very happy with them!

The Goose

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XL
Those crash bars are no joke, if its anything like Fords usual crash structures its going to be a very high strength boron steel. That stuff will destroy sawzall blades and drill bits all day long.

mURmECH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Raptor, 2019 Ranger
The only reason it destroyed my sawzall blades was the accessibility of the crash bars. Once removed I put it on a vice and it cut it smooth, also with a cut off wheel it cut super fast until up to the point I had to use a sawzall and had to be careful not to cut into anything else. It was very painful and tedious for me. I’m glad it’s all done.

ToothRanger

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4
Occupation
D.D.S.
Vehicle Showcase
The only reason it destroyed my sawzall blades was the accessibility of the crash bars. Once removed I put it on a vice and it cut it smooth, also with a cut off wheel it cut super fast until up to the point I had to use a sawzall and had to be careful not to cut into anything else. It was very painful and tedious for me. I’m glad it’s all done.
I'm glad I didn't have to do it myself. LOL

Rene Michaels

First Name
René
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Supercrew 4X2 5' Box Lariat
Vehicle Showcase
I realize this is an old post, but myself and many new folks on the forum should consider this mod carefully.

Seems like most who are replacing them go with the Fabtech offset intrusion beam kit:
https://fabtechmotorsports.com/product/offset-intrusion-beam-kit-fts22296/

Take a look at the instructions (link below) and carefully read the text under sections:

~ READ THIS BEFORE YOU BEGIN INSTALLATION -
~ Product Warranty and Warnings
~ Warranty

https://fabtechmotorsports.com/instructions/FT22296i.pdf

This is not a dig on Fabtech. I'm certain other brands of replacement intrusion beams (crash bars) have similar disclaimers. One should consider this stuff carefully before you make crash bar mods!

OP
OP
HenryMac

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
I realize this is an old post, but myself and many new folks on the forum should consider this mod carefully.

Seems like most who are replacing them go with the Fabtech offset intrusion beam kit:
https://fabtechmotorsports.com/product/offset-intrusion-beam-kit-fts22296/

Take a look at the instructions (link below) and carefully read the text under sections:

~ READ THIS BEFORE YOU BEGIN INSTALLATION -
~ Product Warranty and Warnings
~ Warranty

https://fabtechmotorsports.com/instructions/FT22296i.pdf

This is not a dig on Fabtech. I'm certain other brands of replacement intrusion beams (crash bars) have similar disclaimers. One should consider this stuff carefully before you make crash bar mods!
Most of the companies that build aftermarket components are mom & pop shops. Small companies that don't have Engineering and R&D to ensure their products are equal to or better than the Ford parts that are being removed.

Crash bars are a perfect example of this.

I contacted Fabtech Nov 2019 about their Fabtech Intrusion Beam Relocation Kit for 2019 Ford Rangers and I asked: Did you do any actual destructive testing to verify the design is as strong or stronger than the factory design? Their response was: "Unfortunately we do not have any info like what you are looking for."

Buyer Beware.
Sponsored