Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
If it has been in the shop for that long, then look up a reputable lemon law attorney and give them a call. Every states lemon laws are different but usually there is a time frame in which you can submit your claims. OEMs do what they can to delay you out of that time frame.

Edit: Found this online about UT lemon law:
"The vehicle must have been to the manufacturer to have the same defect resolved at least four times OR out of service to the consumer a total of 30 days DURING the first year or the warranty period, whichever is less (if your problems occur AFTER this time period, you do NOT qualify for the Utah Lemon Law);"
Hi Taylor,

Please petition Ford again and ask to be elevated to a manager. Do not take No for an answer. File a claim with the State. Don't waste money on an attorney just yet. Sad to here of your problems.

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Company Retired
Sponsored

chasvs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
Vehicle Showcase
Post your VIN so no one on this Forum gets stuck with it if they try to resell it! (Unless a buyback truck can't be resold.... )

Lunchbox88

First Name
Logan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger SuperCrew FX4
Hi Taylor,

Please petition Ford again and ask to be elevated to a manager. Do not take No for an answer. File a claim with the State. Don't waste money on an attorney just yet. Sad to here of your problems.

Best,
Phil Schilke
I agree that if he can get Ford to take care of it then that's obviously the way to go. But on the premise that Ford will not deal with him, then time is a factor. A real non scammer lemon law lawyer only gets his fees paid by the manufacture after a successful win and buyback. Should be no money out of pocket.

Lunchbox88

First Name
Logan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger SuperCrew FX4
Post your VIN so no one on this Forum gets stuck with it if they try to resell it! (Unless a buyback truck can't be resold.... )
Law law buyback vehicles can be sold back to the public but they must be labeled as such.

OP
OP
First Name
Taylor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
Hi Taylor,

Best,
Phil Schilke

Phil - thanks for your response. I just saw all these. Any further advice would be greatly appreciated.

The first buyback was declined by Ford. This is getting absurd. There is something new going wrong with the truck every week it seems like. Last week the keyless entry keypad just completely stopped working and I got locked out of the truck and had to have the police break into my brand new truck for me. This past week the drivers side window just stopped going up and down. Weather stripping around the windows it literally falling off the vehicle. Engine still make very strange noises on acceleration and the steering wheels STILL has to be held to the 10 o'clock position to drive the truck straight. Dealership says it isn't going to get any better. Unacceptable. I've had it with Ford and this truck. Truck has been back to the dealership 11 times since I bought it in late June and need to go back a 12th for the damn window.

Another buy back has been submitted to Ford. If this fails too, I will be getting an attorney. Trucks has been our of service over 40 days now at this point. I have tried multiple dealers as well so these issues are not all seeming from just one dealer.

Complete list of issues:
Passenger side window has been replace 3 times for defects
Driver's side window replaced for defect
Driver's side mirror replaced
Driver's side weather stripping and clips broken causing high wind noice - replaced
Keypad died - replaced
Steering wheel alignment significantly off - ongoing and dealer can't fix
Center console USB port went out
Lane keep system issues
Drivers side door panel coming apart
Drivers side door not aligned with the rest of the body - dealer says " its won't be perfect" and it's getting worse.
Vinyl trim between doors has bubbles in it
Engine making strange noises on acceleration - happens randomly - not all the time.
Drivers side window stopped going up and down
Weather stripping around driver's side windows falling off and constantly has to be push back into place

About to start blasting this all over social media if Ford doesn't get their act together and replace the truck.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Phil - thanks for your response. I just saw all these. Any further advice would be greatly appreciated.

The first buyback was declined by Ford. This is getting absurd. There is something new going wrong with the truck every week it seems like. Last week the keyless entry keypad just completely stopped working and I got locked out of the truck and had to have the police break into my brand new truck for me. This past week the drivers side window just stopped going up and down. Weather stripping around the windows it literally falling off the vehicle. Engine still make very strange noises on acceleration and the steering wheels STILL has to be held to the 10 o'clock position to drive the truck straight. Dealership says it isn't going to get any better. Unacceptable. I've had it with Ford and this truck. Truck has been back to the dealership 11 times since I bought it in late June and need to go back a 12th for the damn window.

Another buy back has been submitted to Ford. If this fails too, I will be getting an attorney. Trucks has been our of service over 40 days now at this point. I have tried multiple dealers as well so these issues are not all seeming from just one dealer.

Complete list of issues:
Passenger side window has been replace 3 times for defects
Driver's side window replaced for defect
Driver's side mirror replaced
Driver's side weather stripping and clips broken causing high wind noice - replaced
Keypad died - replaced
Steering wheel alignment significantly off - ongoing and dealer can't fix
Center console USB port went out
Lane keep system issues
Drivers side door panel coming apart
Drivers side door not aligned with the rest of the body - dealer says " its won't be perfect" and it's getting worse.
Vinyl trim between doors has bubbles in it
Engine making strange noises on acceleration - happens randomly - not all the time.
Drivers side window stopped going up and down
Weather stripping around driver's side windows falling off and constantly has to be push back into place

About to start blasting this all over social media if Ford doesn't get their act together and replace the truck.
Hi Taylor,

Yikes! Totally unacceptable... It should be easy on line to find out Utah lemon laws, and armed with this you should be able to present a solid case. Why different dealers would stonewall you is beyond me. I am baffled by the dealers being unhelpful. Clearly there are electrical issues and likely unseated connectors. There is a dealer process to do a thorough electrical system integrity check. Did you by chance lift the truck? Or do any mods? There is no way a truck would have a steering wheel at 10 O'clock out of the assembly plant as the driver that drives the vehicle off the line would notice this and drive straight to the repair area. Something must have happened between the plant gate and your purchase! It is almost like it was dropped off the haulaway or rail car... Good Grief!

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired

OP
OP
First Name
Taylor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
Hi Taylor,

Yikes! Totally unacceptable... It should be easy on line to find out Utah lemon laws, and armed with this you should be able to present a solid case. Why different dealers would stonewall you is beyond me. I am baffled by the dealers being unhelpful. Clearly there are electrical issues and likely unseated connectors. There is a dealer process to do a thorough electrical system integrity check. Did you by chance lift the truck? Or do any mods? There is no way a truck would have a steering wheel at 10 O'clock out of the assembly plant as the driver that drives the vehicle off the line would notice this and drive straight to the repair area. Something must have happened between the plant gate and your purchase! It is almost like it was dropped off the haulaway or rail car... Good Grief!

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired

Thanks, Phil.

I have spent far too much time researching Utah lemon laws and talking with people from Utah Dept of Consumer Affairs. Was hoping Ford would do the right thing and buy back the truck before having to dive further into legal action. Losing hope pretty quick here.

Truck has no mods, no lift. Installed a bug deflector and a bed cover. Thats it. 4000 miles on it. The steering alignment is beyond annoying and a safety concern. The two dealers that have looked at the alignment say that they can't get it any better and send me on my way... It also seems to be getting worse as time goes on.

Anyone wanna take a guess as to what's going to go wrong on the truck this week!?

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks, Phil.

I have spent far too much time researching Utah lemon laws and talking with people from Utah Dept of Consumer Affairs. Was hoping Ford would do the right thing and buy back the truck before having to dive further into legal action. Losing hope pretty quick here.

Truck has no mods, no lift. Installed a bug deflector and a bed cover. Thats it. 4000 miles on it. The steering alignment is beyond annoying and a safety concern. The two dealers that have looked at the alignment say that they can't get it any better and send me on my way... It also seems to be getting worse as time goes on.

Anyone wanna take a guess as to what's going to go wrong on the truck this week!?
Hi Taylor,

That is totally wrong. If need be they can replace the entire steering system. I would be looking into a bent steering arm on one of the steering knuckles, Something is very wrong here and the steering wheel clear vision is just a symptom of a greater wrong in the steering system, from the knuckles to the tire rods to the steering rack to the steering shaft. Does the truck pull to either side when driving and you relax your grip? This is way beyond assembly plant issures. Something happened and I am really wondering if the truck was actually sold as new as the salesman likely had no clue this was damaged goods.... Something is really wrong here. Other dealers shying away is part of it. You might take it to an independent alignment shop as they will likely find the cause...of course you have to shell out the $ and seek reimbursement... So sad...someone knows the story on this truck but is not saying, in my opinion.

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired

Floyd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger SCab,'16 Connect,'95 MustangGT,'50 Ford
Sounds like most of your issues were door/window problems.
NO EXCUSE, they should have been fixed right in one trip after reported and parts ordered.
The steering wheel issue is a no brainer.
The others are not specific enough to comment on.

Sounds like what you need is a different dealer... not a different truck.
One Day in a competent shop should do it.
Good luck.

So... what was the engine noise?

OP
OP
First Name
Taylor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
Hi Taylor,

That is totally wrong. If need be they can replace the entire steering system. I would be looking into a bent steering arm on one of the steering knuckles, Something is very wrong here and the steering wheel clear vision is just a symptom of a greater wrong in the steering system, from the knuckles to the tire rods to the steering rack to the steering shaft. Does the truck pull to either side when driving and you relax your grip? This is way beyond assembly plant issures. Something happened and I am really wondering if the truck was actually sold as new as the salesman likely had no clue this was damaged goods.... Something is really wrong here. Other dealers shying away is part of it. You might take it to an independent alignment shop as they will likely find the cause...of course you have to shell out the $ and seek reimbursement... So sad...someone knows the story on this truck but is not saying, in my opinion.

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired

Truck does not pull to either side. Had 9 miles on it when I drove it off the lot... I would rather just have a different truck than the whole steering system replaced.

Sounds like most of your issues were door/window problems.
NO EXCUSE, they should have been fixed right in one trip after reported and parts ordered.
The steering wheel issue is a no brainer.
The others are not specific enough to comment on.

Sounds like what you need is a different dealer... not a different truck.
One Day in a competent shop should do it.
Good luck.

So... what was the engine noise?

I thought it was the original dealer's service dept at first too, but even the second dealer can't get the alignment straight which seems to me its a bigger issue with the steering system.

Never got a clear diagnosis of the engine noise. Happens maybe 40% of the time. Loud rattle noise on acceleration. First dealer told me it was "normal" and second dealer couldn't recreate it. None of the 4 ranger loaner trucks I have had (one for 3 weeks straight) made this noise.

Floyd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
We used to say that one "AHH SH#T" will wipe out a hundred "ATTA BOYs"
So going to social media can actually do a lot of harm.
It usually will not get much fixed though.

I always said "if you've got a problem with my work, tell me.
If you're happy tell others."

Keep your powder dry if you want results.

Last edited:

rooster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
STX FX4 SuperCrew
Occupation
engineering systems admin
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks, Phil.

does the traction control function with the steering wheel off like that much? The steering angle sensor usually causes a lot of problems when it’s off that much ... my Jeep will flash the warning lamp and grab brakes erratically when the steering wheel is not centered ... definitely a safety issue.

Floyd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
does the traction control function with the steering wheel off like that much? The steering angle sensor usually causes a lot of problems when it’s off that much ... my Jeep will flash the warning lamp and grab brakes erratically when the steering wheel is not centered ... definitely a safety issue.
The steering angle is a different problem than having the wheel installed wrong.
The electric power steering wouldn't know if the wheel is off while steering straight down the road.

OP
OP
First Name
Taylor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT

It seems to be functioning fine but now that you mentioned it I have seen the traction control light flash randomly a few times which seemed strange. Didn't really think much of it. But no major traction control issues that I'm aware of.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
The steering angle is a different problem than having the wheel installed wrong.
The electric power steering wouldn't know if the wheel is off while steering straight down the road.
I am wondering if there is a blocked spline as there on many Fords, that precludes installing the steering wheel incorrectly at the the plant. If not a blocked spline, they why did not the dealer pull and reindex the wheel? I think something is bent in the steering system.

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co, Retired
Sponsored