Cleaning those magnetic wheels

Ranger8729

First Name
Ashley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1987 Ranger & 2019 Ranger
So I finally got my truck back from the body shop after being rear ended 2 hours after buying it! :) Now it's time to get to work on the details. I'm planning on clay, extra light correction, and some sealant for the body. The wheels have me still thinking. These are my first set of painted wheels; i've always had chrome. What would you guys suggest as the best way to clean/prep these guys?

I thought about taking them off the truck and hand detailing them, but I air travel M-Th so time is precious to me. I don't want to scratch up the lug holes if I don't have a thin enough socket either. How are you guys prepping and keeping yours clean?
Sponsored

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
So I finally got my truck back from the body shop after being rear ended 2 hours after buying it! :) Now it's time to get to work on the details. I'm planning on clay, extra light correction, and some sealant for the body. The wheels have me still thinking. These are my first set of painted wheels; i've always had chrome. What would you guys suggest as the best way to clean/prep these guys?

I thought about taking them off the truck and hand detailing them, but I air travel M-Th so time is precious to me. I don't want to scratch up the lug holes if I don't have a thin enough socket either. How are you guys prepping and keeping yours clean?

Glad you got your truck back! I have the sport wheels too and honestly the only thing I do is wash them last when washing my truck,I use a soft brush like the one in the link below.. Then I spray a coat of Opti-Seal on them which helps with brake dust build up and will help protect the magnetic finish. You can also use the Opti-Seal on glass,it's like Rain-X but much better and longer lasting and it's a great paint sealant. For added protection add a coat of spray way after the sealant.

https://www.goldeagle.com/product/303-tire-brush/

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004S7V7RG/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Last edited:

MasiJC

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger SuperCrew Lariat Sport - Magnetic
I agree w/ AzScorpion.

I put a coat of wax on mine and the rain/water/dirt seem to run right off.

Toytec

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT 302a S/cab 4X4 w/diff lock MG
Occupation
Automotive technician, Retired.
Vehicle Showcase
I've got one of those horse hair brushes from Griot's Garage. It's about a foot long and great quick cleaning of the wheels and along the sides of the truck

OP
OP
Ranger8729

Ranger8729

First Name
Ashley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nice. I'll look into a soft brush for cleaning. I'll get them washed and waxed with some chemical guys I have left over!

Toytec

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT 302a S/cab 4X4 w/diff lock MG
Occupation
Automotive technician, Retired.
Vehicle Showcase
You're not helping us wonder though, did we pick the wrong color? I'm seeing a lot of magnetic Rangers getting run into. hmmm :frown:

OP
OP
Ranger8729

Ranger8729

First Name
Ashley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Agreed. I believe the magnetic isn't "attracting" what we think...

Last edited:

FULLSCALE

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4 Supercrew, 2011 Mazda 3 Sport GT-E, 1968 Ford Mustang
I always clean my wheels last using a dedicated wheel/tire/step bar wash mitt and it seems to work pretty well!

tgRanger

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Ford F-150 Lariat, 1988 Mustang GT, 2013 Toyota Highlander Limited
Vehicle Showcase
Chemical Guys Diablo Gel is a good wheel cleaner, I use to use it on my F150 and it worked great, then I’d put a sealant on them like Poorboys Wheel Sealant.

With my Ranger I use Carpro exclusively. When I detailed mine. First I rinsed the wheels, sprayed them with Iron-X and let it dwell. Then I rinsed and washed them, afterwards blew them dry. Then sprayed them with Carpro Eraser to degrease and remove remaining wax etc. Then I applied 2 coats of Carpro Dlux coating on all the wheel one hour apart. Maint I use Carpro Reset car shampoo. They pretty much come clean with just a pressure wash but I go over them anyways an blow them dry. I also coated inside the wheel wells and ALL plastics with Dlux. Carpro Perl on the tires.
453E6E5A-562C-45DA-865B-7429F3CB2EA2.png

chasvs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
Vehicle Showcase

Psssst, it's a Truck...

tgRanger

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase

chasvs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
Vehicle Showcase
A $45.000 truck :) What’s wrong with wanting to maintain your truck anyways?
LOL,:LOL: I get maintaining, really I do. And I pamper mine for a Truck. I'm not sure I do as much to myPporsche as you're doing to your Truck. But really, it is yours to do and light heated banter isn't meant to be mean..... :rockon:

tgRanger

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
LOL,:LOL: I get maintaining, really I do. And I pamper mine for a Truck. I'm not sure I do as much to myPporsche as you're doing to your Truck. But really, it is yours to do and light heated banter isn't meant to be mean..... :rockon:
Thats too bad, a Porsche deserves better lol, And its quite possible it doesn't look as good :). No one is being mean here either :beer:.
382EB3EF-915C-4563-9D15-4FF997AB6911.jpeg

chasvs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
Vehicle Showcase
Thats too bad, a Porsche deserves better lol, And its quite possible it doesn't look as good :). No one is being mean here either :beer:.
382EB3EF-915C-4563-9D15-4FF997AB6911.jpeg
LOL, :clap: Actually, a Porsche deserves to be driven, maintained well and enjoyed. I drive me vehicles, maintain them well and enjoy the ride. Yes, there are those who detail them every day and enjoy that. Just sayin. :like:
Sponsored