TSB: 19-2052 - 2019 Ranger - Engine Cold Start Runs Rough / Rough Shifting Transmission

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Phil, what sort of period (either time or miles) should be regarded as the learning period? I have 2200 miles. It should be done "learning", shouldn't it?
If you have 2200 miles after the TSB work, it should have learned, however if much of that was highway miles, it may still be in learn mode. Actually it is always in learn mode but the changes it might make are so subtle you would not notice. Maybe a Engine Calibrator is on this forum and elaborate on exactly how this woks

best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired
Sponsored

RangerCat

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
If you got the TSB done, I think (but am not positive) that it has to learn all over again. I think it resets its "memory".
Right, but what I mean is how long does it have to learn? I've seen posts where the poster was told, by a dealer, that it could take up to 5000 miles. I can't image that is correct, is it?

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
Right, but what I mean is how long does it have to learn? I've seen posts where the poster was told, by a dealer, that it could take up to 5000 miles. I can't image that is correct, is it?
I've read/heard up to 1000 miles is the initial learning period - but I also believe the Phil is correct - it is in basically a perpetual learning curve, however after a while, any changes it might do are so slight you'd never know.

And a misconception is that it is learning the drivers driving habits. It isn't learning the drivers habits, it is adjusting to the specific machining, tolerances, etc of the specific transmission. It is a pretty sophisticated piece of engineering, IMO.

SpaceRanger

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4
Bumping this older thread about this TSB...

I just picked up my used Lariat FX4 (the first owner's lease started in February so I know the truck was built before the TSB parameters) and have noticed the shifts are rough in the lower gears. Is there a way to see if the PCM update was completed without taking it to a dealer? I know on my old RS, you could call Ford customer care and they could tell you if the head gasket recall work was completed or not on your car. Didn't know if this was the same way.

MT19RANGER

First Name
JERRY
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Oilfield Service Company Area Supervisor
Vehicle Showcase
Bumping this older thread about this TSB...

I just picked up my used Lariat FX4 (the first owner's lease started in February so I know the truck was built before the TSB parameters) and have noticed the shifts are rough in the lower gears. Is there a way to see if the PCM update was completed without taking it to a dealer? I know on my old RS, you could call Ford customer care and they could tell you if the head gasket recall work was completed or not on your car. Didn't know if this was the same way.
I would think you could call your dealership and they can tell you all the stuff that's been done too.

Lunchbox88

First Name
Logan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger SuperCrew FX4
Yep, you should just be able to give them the VIN and they should be able to tell you.

SpaceRanger

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4
I would think you could call your dealership and they can tell you all the stuff that's been done too.
Thanks! I was just wondering if there was a way finding out before I had to deal with the dealership.

First Name
Grant
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4, 2016 Shelby GT350
Vehicle Showcase
Does anyone know if TSB's show up when you do a vin search on the Ford Owner site under recalls? I have this rough shifting transmission issue too and my build date was 12/18 - the vin search doesn't pull anything up though. Long story short - is a Field Service Action the same as a Technical Service Bulletin?

Thanks!

buldogg77

First Name
jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT sport
Im going to post this here to see if anyone else has this problem my truck was built in aug of 19
I would like to add to this post. I am also having weird shifts but only when the truck is cold. I have my truck in service right now waiting for the blower motor to be looked at and they are looking into the cold shift problem. This happens every time I would get in the truck in the morning or if it has sat for a couple hours I notice it feels jerky for the first 10 or so minutes of driving the truck after its warmed up it seems to shift fine. This jerkiness happens only between the speeds of 10-30 miles a hour and granted we are in west Texas so the temps arent crazy low. The dealership has given me a rental while mine is in the shop same year has only 300 miles on it really the only difference is its a 4x4 mine is not. I can confirm that driving this truck for a week now it does not shift this way. Still waiting for the dealership to get to my truck and let me know what they think this could be. Its driving me nuts knowing its not right.

*edit forgot to mention this truck was purchased in october and has 2900 miles on it also it was built in Aug so i dont think it would be under the TSB they had for earlier trucks

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
Im going to post this here to see if anyone else has this problem my truck was built in aug of 19
I would like to add to this post. I am also having weird shifts but only when the truck is cold. I have my truck in service right now waiting for the blower motor to be looked at and they are looking into the cold shift problem. This happens every time I would get in the truck in the morning or if it has sat for a couple hours I notice it feels jerky for the first 10 or so minutes of driving the truck after its warmed up it seems to shift fine. This jerkiness happens only between the speeds of 10-30 miles a hour and granted we are in west Texas so the temps arent crazy low. The dealership has given me a rental while mine is in the shop same year has only 300 miles on it really the only difference is its a 4x4 mine is not. I can confirm that driving this truck for a week now it does not shift this way. Still waiting for the dealership to get to my truck and let me know what they think this could be. Its driving me nuts knowing its not right.

*edit forgot to mention this truck was purchased in october and has 2900 miles on it also it was built in Aug so i dont think it would be under the TSB they had for earlier trucks
The only issue I've had is when it is cold - the first start on a cold morning - I take off and I get (sometimes) ONE weird shift - either first to second or first to third. But then all the other shifts are fine. Letting it warm up a bit (a minute or so) doesn't seem to make much difference, and it doesn't always happen. But when it does, it is just ONE shift. I've not worried about it since it only happens once. Maybe if I let it warm up more it wouldn't happen, but it doesn't really concern me.

rangerdanger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger SuperCrew XLT FX4
Vehicle Showcase
Does anyone know if TSB's show up when you do a vin search on the Ford Owner site under recalls? I have this rough shifting transmission issue too and my build date was 12/18 - the vin search doesn't pull anything up though. Long story short - is a Field Service Action the same as a Technical Service Bulletin?

Thanks!
No TSBs won't show up in the Recalls section, since technically they are voluntary actions. If you're experiencing issues and your build date falls within the TSB, ask your dealer to perform it.

First Name
Grant
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Ranger Danger - thanks, I’ve booked it and I’m going in armed with a screenshot of the TSB. My truck is old - built Dec 2/2018

Skylais

First Name
Skyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Brought ranger into dealership (Houston), they gave me no issues and took care of it.
Upon start, noticed a different chime that I hadn’t heard before, doesn’t happen after the first start. TRUCK SHIFTS WAY BETTER. It was instantly noticeable, the engine also sounds nicer at idle as well. FYI, dealer notes said they verified claim in OASIS, if you type in your VIN on Oasis public portal it won’t show up though, I tried beforehand.

First Name
Grant
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
If not for this forum I wouldn’t have known about this TSB - had it done yesterday and the truck shifts much better - all this time I just thought it was a quirk I’d have to live with!